Author Topic: Legal or Not  (Read 1667 times)

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
Legal or Not
« on: September 15, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »
cant get the hyperlink to work just copy and paste the address below
https://twitter.com/i/status/1041062691182395392

Legal or not?
and I see a bad stuff in the future for plays like this.
the returner getting nailed and hurt to prevent future plays like this
My Opinion is that this play is on the same level as wrong ball or where is the tee?

open for discussion

do or do not there is no try

Offline NoVaBJ

• FAN REACTION: +11/-8
Re: Legal or Not
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 05:00:26 PM »
Twitter link doesn't work, but from context, I presume you are talking about the non-fair catch in NTX-ARK.

The returner put his hands to his shoulders while the kick was in flight. This was a missed invalid fair catch signal, no more and no less.

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 09:22:17 PM »
They zoomed in on the returner and his arm movements coincide with his footwork.  I watched it 5 times with the camera zoomed in on him and didn't see his hands on or near his shoulders in any way.  I'll watch again.  Additionally, the tv crew reported right after halftime that the crew confirmed that the NTX staff informed them of the strategy before the game.  A crew of 7 D1 officials had pregame knowledge of the play and allowed it when it happened.  Additionally, a replay official took a look at it as well and the call was confirmed.  I don't think this was a missed invalid fair catch signal at all. 

I do however agree with the original poster that this is an invitation for disaster and there well may be a rule or editorial change come out of this play.  The K team is at a tremendous disadvantage if this is allowed (by the current rule).  If they nail him, its certainly possible for a call of unnecessary roughness for hitting someone that has let up or is not attempting to play.

Offline NoVaBJ

• FAN REACTION: +11/-8
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:50:39 AM »
If this was confirmed after replay, that indicates the philosophy of not looking for boogers was taken to an extreme. *Any* hand gesture by a receiver is either a valid or invalid fair catch signal, and there was a gesture there, however fleeting.

On trick plays, look for boogers.