Author Topic: Should there be a mercy rule?  (Read 9265 times)

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Should there be a mercy rule?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2018, 10:07:17 AM »
As stated above, In Ohio it's 30 points in the second half and we will revert.

The clock does stop for charged timeouts, injury or other prolonged stoppage of play (but not penalty enforcement, unless we have a prolonged discussion), quarters, change of possession, and scores.  In all cases the clock winds on the RFP.  The crew uses normal signals.  The R will face the press box and give a deliberate stop or wind signal to the clock operator.

I like it. 

This fall we had a cold, rainy night where it 52-0 at the half.  The second half was running clock, and we played eight minutes quarters.  Done in 22 minutes.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2018, 03:01:08 PM »
In Michigan, 35 point or more point differential in second half, running clock (clock stops on TIPS (time-outs, injury, penalty, scores)).

Virginia is the same, though the mnemonic I use is "That's Chris, Football Scholar:

Timeout
Change of Possession
First Down
Score

The clock always starts on the ready for play for a scrimmage down.  The clock is not supposed to start on the ready for a free kick, but starts when legally touched.

The running clock is mandatory at 35 points, and it does revert to normal timing rules if the score gets closer than 35.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 11:16:14 AM »
When we researched other states on this topic, the most innovative was Connecticut. Theirs was simple...If the game is decided by more than 50 points, the winning coach is suspended for one game. He can plead his case to the opposing athletic director, who can offer clemency!!

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 08:43:56 AM »
PA has a 35 point rule in the second half.  "SPIT" or "TIPS" is the mnemonic for stopping the clock.  "Timeout" in that acronym means both charged and official's timeout. Once it's on, it stays on.

There is no reason why we should not have a mercy rule in high school football in every state. 

For all of you old timers out there in states that don't have a mercy rule - have you ever experienced a time when a team came back from 35 points down to win?  MAYBE 1... MAYBE.  In how many years?

So to that point, I see no reason to prolong the game when the outcome is clearly inevitable for 99.9999% of games.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 08:26:16 AM »
I’d be curious to know the largest come-back wins in HS football.  It seems to me that once a HS team gets behind by more than 2 scores, body language changes, heads go down, shoulders stoop, and the game is basically over.  I’m sure there are exceptions to this, but I bet they’re less than 5%.

I was the R in a Friday night game a few years ago (MA - NCAA rules) where the visitors scored on every possession in the 1st half, the home team did not have a single 1st down and the score was 32-0 heading into halftime just as a thunder & lightning storm got too close.  We delayed for almost 3 hours (the visitors were unwilling to return the next day to continue the game).  We restarted the game and a virtual reverse of the 1st half occurred.  The home team won 35-32 with a TD in the last minute.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 05:32:38 AM »

For all of you old timers out there in states that don't have a mercy rule - have you ever experienced a time when a team came back from 35 points down to win?  MAYBE 1... MAYBE.  In how many years?

No, but the nationally-televised game from Alabama a few weeks ago started out 28-0, got to 49-49, and ended 63-49 the other way.  (The QBs were Bear Bryant’s great-grandson, and Tua Tagovailoa’s brother)

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 09:33:25 AM »
No, but the nationally-televised game from Alabama a few weeks ago started out 28-0, got to 49-49, and ended 63-49 the other way.  (The QBs were Bear Bryant’s great-grandson, and Tua Tagovailoa’s brother)

Still wasn't a 35 point differential.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 10:05:47 AM »
That’s probably why he started with “No, but ...”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 10:21:03 AM »
I once remember a Super Bowl where a team was down by 25 and came back to win  :) ;) :o 8] ::) :P ! I don't believe the NFL has a mercy rule 8]....

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »
I once remember a Super Bowl where a team was down by 25 and came back to win  :) ;) :o 8] ::) :P ! I don't believe the NFL has a mercy rule 8]....
perhaps a tad more gambling involved on that level.  ;D

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
In Illinois it is a 40-point differential in the second half, running clock, no reversal. Stops for time outs, scores, and extended injuries. We like to emphasize that it keeps running during penalty administration so a false start or encroachment on the winning team is a great way to run out a minute of the clock.