Author Topic: 2015 NFHS Rule Changes  (Read 73531 times)

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: 2015 NFHS Rule Changes
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2015, 05:06:47 PM »
We kick off at 7:30, rarely go past 9:50, and our half time is 23 minutes.  And we pass as much or more as many teams.

I know you don't want to hear it, but there is something that speeds up games, although,you might believe it would be otherwise: switching balls on most plays.  Officials NEVER chase incomplete passes.  If the ball is incomplete, the wing or the deep wing on that side grabs a new ball from the ball boy, tosses it to the U, the ball is set, and the RFP is blown.  Ball boys chase the errant pass wherever it may be.  If a play ends OOB, the wing grabs a ball from the ball boy, places it at his feet, another ball is tossed to the U from the ball boy, and the ball that is OOB is retrieved by the ball boys. 

Unless the play ends between the hashes, the U is looking for a ball to be tossed to him right away, and no official deals with the other one.  The goal here is to blow the RFP in 12 seconds from the end of the previous play, and they usually make it. 

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2015, 08:18:28 PM »
We kick off at 7:30, rarely go past 9:50, and our half time is 23 minutes.  And we pass as much or more as many teams.

I know you don't want to hear it, but there is something that speeds up games, although,you might believe it would be otherwise: switching balls on most plays.  Officials NEVER chase incomplete passes.  If the ball is incomplete, the wing or the deep wing on that side grabs a new ball from the ball boy, tosses it to the U, the ball is set, and the RFP is blown.  Ball boys chase the errant pass wherever it may be.  If a play ends OOB, the wing grabs a ball from the ball boy, places it at his feet, another ball is tossed to the U from the ball boy, and the ball that is OOB is retrieved by the ball boys. 

Unless the play ends between the hashes, the U is looking for a ball to be tossed to him right away, and no official deals with the other one.  The goal here is to blow the RFP in 12 seconds from the end of the previous play, and they usually make it.
:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2015, 07:29:49 AM »
We used to start at 7:30. Once the final scores started regularly missing the 10 o'clock sports report, and/or the print media deadlines, the complaints rolled in. Solution? Start at 7:00. Games are still 3 hours, but at least most are now meeting media deadlines.

Same rationale used in Alabama.  In the old run-the-ball, run-the-clock days, my games averaged 1:45 or so.  Now, it's 2:30.  Thank goodness we don't have TV games.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2015, 08:00:36 AM »

Quote from : 1972 National Alliance Edition Football Rules Book
           Published by The National Federation of State High School Associations

"Thousands of progressive football men have assisted in producing and constantly improving the National Alliance Football Code. Here are a few desirable changes brought about through efficient
rules machinery."

-Prelude to 1972 rule book.

Quote from : Jerry "Remdawg" Remy - Red Sox TV announcer

"The Sox need an ace...the Sox don't have an ace."

The Red Sox equipment truck arrived safely in Ft. Myers, FL ; so it must be Spring...somewhere  :o ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :'(....stay warm,guys, even if you don't own LL Bean Polar Explorer gear ( can be viewed on Weather Channel).. :)     

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2015, 08:24:54 AM »
The Sox should feel right at home as the temps on the west coast of FL dipped into the 30s overnight.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2015, 09:30:03 AM »

Working a game with efficient, effective and perhaps most importantly, consistently focused "ball boys" is a "day and night" difference from what seems a lot more like the standard offering.  Schools who take this responsibility seriously should be appreciated because this is a service that makes a game crisper, smoother, more enjoyable to work and more pleasurable for everyone to watch.

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
2015 NFHS Rule Changes
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
In two years working NFHS in Michigan, I never had a ball boy that wasn't either:
1) an injured varsity player that didn't dress,
Or 2) a JV kid tapped by a coach that would rather be hanging out with his teammates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2015, 09:39:17 AM »
3+ hour games promotes safety? Really now!
At last year's meeting, the length of games was discussed with the majority not having a problem with the increasing length. The general feeling was that extended "down time" was what made the games longer (retrieving incomplete passes, bigger scores = more TDs) and not the actual playing time - which certainly would increase the chance of injury. There was a proposal to adopt the NCAA OOB rule which, to me, had proved successful for several years. It made it to the floor but had very limited support on the final vote ( I voted for it). I refereed 15 games last season - shortest : 1 :50 , longest : 2 :18 - I can live with that. Our Friday night games begin @ 7:00. Local TV football highlights begin @ 11:00. The reserved z^ chairs at our popular watering hole are usually full eAt& :).

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2015, 10:48:13 AM »
In two years working NFHS in Michigan, I never had a ball boy that wasn't either:
1) an injured varsity player that didn't dress,
Or 2) a JV kid tapped by a coach that would rather be hanging out with his teammates

Don't forget the ones who are one of the coaches' sons or daughter.  They're the ones too busy cheering to throw a football in after a change of possession.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
I refereed 15 games last season - shortest : 1 :50 , longest : 2 :18 - I can live with that.
I'm guessing they don't chuck it 85 times a game in your neck of the woods, most of which fall incomplete.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
Our final game of the regular season was 59-52.  Stats for the stars of both teams are highlighted below.  I'm only slightly exaggerating when I say the clock stopped after every play - first down, TD, or incomplete pass.  The first half took 1:45, the game was over 3:00, and we loved every minute of it.  I'm not saying I'd enjoy 3+ hour marathons every week, but this was one to remember.

The Spongers' Ford and Rebels QB Tyrie Adams had monster games. Ford rushed for 389 yards on 41 carries and scored five touchdowns. Adams had an amazing 719 total yards of offense. He racked up 598 yards on 39-for-57 passing, and six scores. That was in addition to his 121 yards on eight carries and one rushing TD.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »
The Spongers' Ford and Rebels QB Tyrie Adams had monster games. Ford rushed for 389 yards on 41 carries and scored five touchdowns. Adams had an amazing 719 total yards of offense. He racked up 598 yards on 39-for-57 passing, and six scores. That was in addition to his 121 yards on eight carries and one rushing TD.

Sounds like your BJ / deep wings need tackling practice.    cRaZy

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2015, 08:02:57 AM »
....Top of the 5th, one out..it's 5:30 (starting time 4:00)...the wind off from Bar Harbor Bay is +30 MPH....the temp is +30 F....the wind chill - no we won't go there :'(.....you're working the bases...you again glance at your watch...it's now 6:10...top of the 5th,two out.....you begin to wonder :!# what
frostbitten hands look like....your metal indicator has stuck to your palm....

Guys, our game length issues could be worse :). Ole' Mainer saying : "I cried because I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet." tiphat:

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2015, 09:11:43 AM »
I'm guessing they don't chuck it 85 times a game in your neck of the woods, most of which fall incomplete.
Gravitational pull, deflated footballs and flat feet of the receivers lead to mostly ground games. :)

Offline VALJ

« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »
As does the fact that all the players seemed to be named Bubba, Tugboat, and Smitty according to your posts.   :)

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2015, 10:06:12 AM »
As does the fact that all the players seemed to be named Bubba, Tugboat, and Smitty according to your posts.   :)
Now now, VALJ, you forgot about Lefty (QB), Scooter (DB), Slim (WR), Porkchop (C) and the like :) :).  Cubbies vs Red Sox....friendly wager...team with best record...loser closes next 10 posts with : "Cubbies rule, 'Sox suck" or the opposite????  :) :) Remember, you guys now have an ace (Lester) and we don't  pi1eOn!!!

stevestod

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2015, 12:02:52 PM »

I think you forgot about Hans the kicker from Sweden.......

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2015, 12:26:04 PM »
I think you forgot about Hans the kicker from Sweden.......
Thanks, Steve - I knew I forgot someone tiphat:

Offline VALJ

« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2015, 02:46:13 PM »
Porkchop doesn't exactly help your argument, Ralph. 

And while I'm not a Sox fan particularly, I've got nothing against them, so a "Sox suck" applies to the black-wearing goofs on the South Side, where Bad Bad Leroy Brown hangs out.  As long as we can both agree to hate the Yankees...

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2015, 04:09:31 PM »
Is it wishful thinking to have this thread back on topic or should we just shut it down?
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2015, 07:41:38 PM »
Is it wishful thinking to have this thread back on topic or should we just shut it down?

Time for it to meet Fredo and Luca Brasi, or to start quoting some of your favorite lines from The Godfather.

Don Corleone to Sonny: What's the matter with you? I think your brain is going soft with all that comedy you are playing with that young girl. Never tell anyone outside the Family what you are thinking again.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2015, 08:09:48 AM »
UPS delivery to Corleone :"  Luca sleeps with the fishes pi1eOn  "

Rulesman's delivery to us : " Let's get back on topic . yEs: "

Does anyone have any opinions on any of the other rule  changes? The spearing change, IMHO, was more editorial than anything. Will the change in the free kick rule open the door for teammates prancing back and forth to either side of the ball before the kick? ??? Will it become more convoluted to kill the ball just as it is kicked ??? ???? Will it become a harder call from the white hat @ 60 yards away ??? ??? ????

Opinions, please :

Editor's note : I'm off to sunny Florida for 10 days, so you guys will have to argue with each other :)!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:56:19 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2015, 09:10:21 AM »
Yo Ralph -

I like the changes, and I applaud the fact their are not too many.
I do not think inserting the word "excessive" will be anywhere near as difficult to adjust to as the 1988 change that allowed offensive lineman to use open hands and fully extended arms. There are still old timers that likely feel that was the biggest change in football to date.
You forgot to  list the Prom Queens Mudda! 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:40:34 AM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2015, 10:04:01 AM »
Godfather trivia : What was the exact time and date of Sonny's demise ????

New rules worry : Are any of you worried about the challenge of determining if there is 4 on each side of the kicker/ball AT the time of the kick instead of RFP ??? ?????

New rules worry #2 : Treating a DBF that can't occur until the ball is kicked, means there will always be a kick and probably an onside kick and probably a mad scramble for the onside kick and another kick to follow that will probably also an onside kick and probably.....anyone worried yet ??? ??? ??????

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2015, 10:35:58 AM »

New rules worry #2 : Treating a DBF that can't occur until the ball is kicked, means there will always be a kick and probably an onside kick and probably a mad scramble for the onside kick and another kick to follow that will probably also an onside kick and probably.....anyone worried yet ??? ??? ??????

No worries!!!  Danger is a small price to pay for excitement!!!