Author Topic: Let's think Canadian, eh?  (Read 4337 times)

Let's think Canadian, eh?
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:08:10 PM »
I thought it time to toss on a uniquely Canadian rules getcherbrainthinking thing.

Fourth quarter, 2 seconds left on the clock. Team A has called a timeout to bring its field goal unit onto the field.
It's 2D, on the B 15. The score is tied.

The ensuing field goal attempt is partly blocked, and bloops wide, where it bounces in the B endzone. B12 receives the ball in his end-zone and executes a sloppy return kick that floats high in the air then comes down in a maze of players at the B 20. The ball is fielded by A46 at the B 22, and downed instantly by B 77, who is within the five-yard restraining zone.
Following the play, the back judge reports that B56 committed UR on A86 in the endzone
a) before the return kick was executed
b) after the return kick was executed.

What options should be given to Team A?

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
Re: Let's think Canadian, eh?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 12:47:51 PM »
It's obvious that time ran out during the play, so if no penalty is accepted, regulation is over.

The deflection is ignored because the ball traveled past the line of scrimmage.

(a) UR is applied at PBH or PBD.

@ PBH results in a rouge because foul and ball in end zone.  [8-4-1-b-1]  Team A has the option to end the game.  [1-5-6-b]  If Team A does not wish to end the game, then the RZ foul is disregarded as the UR negated a change of possession.  Team B would have 1 play from their 35.

@ PBD results in two fouls being enforced:  15-yard RZ foul takes the ball from the B-22 to the B-11.  The UR takes the ball to the B-1.  Team A 1D/G @ B-1 for one play.

(b) UR is applied at the PPG or PBD.

@ PPG would defer to the PBD.

@ PBD results in two fouls being enforced:  15-yard RZ foul takes the ball from the B-22 to the B-11.  The UR takes the ball to the B-1.  Team A 1D/G @ B-1.

Offline JugglingReferee

• FAN REACTION: +40/-15
  • Ἰησοῦς Χριστός, Θεοῦ Υἱός, Σωτήρ
Re: Let's think Canadian, eh?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
I had a play similar to this once.  It certainly is interested.  I would LOVE to have explain this to the crowd and coaches.  I think I would speak to the crowd and coaches at the same time.  I would face the B end zone at around midfield do that most people could hear the explanation.