Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 4748 times)

ROW-Z

Help Please
« on: August 29, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »
Wideout  A-88 on LOS, and A-80 who is next to but 1/2 yard deeper. After set for one sec A-80 takes one step forward and turns and goes in motion along the LOS . Do we have anything or is it legal? He was on the line at the snap. Than :-\ks

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:56:12 PM »
Rule: 7-2-7

ART. 7 . . . Only one A player may be in motion at the snap and then only if such motion is not toward his opponent's goal line. Except for the player "under the snapper," as outlined in Article 3, the player in motion shall be at least 5 yards behind his line of scrimmage at the snap if he started from any position not clearly behind the line and did not establish himself as a back by stopping for at least one full second while no part of his body is breaking the vertical plane through the waistline of his nearest teammate who is on the line of scrimmage.

You say he was on the line at the snap.  Was he stationary?  If so that was a shift, not motion.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:58:30 PM by HLinNC »

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
Re: Help Please
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:22:05 AM »
Wideout  A-88 on LOS, and A-80 who is next to but 1/2 yard deeper. After set for one sec A-80 takes one step forward and turns and goes in motion along the LOS . Do we have anything or is it legal? He was on the line at the snap. Than :-\ks

If he's not facing the opponent's goal line, illegal formation under 7-2-3. I interpret "on his line of scrimmage" to be "lineman", and A-80 would be neither a lineman nor a back in this case.

If he IS facing the opponent's goal line (or if you disagree with my equating the two terms above), then one of A-80 or A-88 is now covered up and ineligible. Odds are this will cause problems.

Also, if he can come just up to the line without encroaching on the NZ, I'm impressed.