Author Topic: State Games  (Read 3769 times)

Offline CosmoKramer

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
State Games
« on: December 13, 2020, 04:51:29 PM »
Best of luck to everyone working. Safe travels as well. Let’s fill in the blanks and congratulate all:

1AD1:
1AD2:
2AD1: FTW
2AD2: Abilene
3AD1:
3AD2:
4AD1:
4AD2:

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: State Games
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 05:24:39 PM »
Best of luck to everyone working. Safe travels as well. Let’s fill in the blanks and congratulate all:

1AD1:  South Plains
1AD2:  Dallas
2AD1: FTW
2AD2: Abilene
3AD1:
3AD2: San Antonio
4AD1: Tyler
4AD2: Tyler
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 08:06:34 PM by Etref »

Offline williebe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 06:15:58 PM »
Is there going to be a chat room active during any of the championship games?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 06:40:04 PM »
Tyler has 4A D1
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 08:05:49 PM »
Tyler also has 4A  D 2

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 08:29:21 PM »
If nobody wants to claim the 3AD1 game I'll gladly take it.    ;D

Offline linesman87

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 10:11:05 PM »
I was told 3A D1 was San Antonio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »
Kinda surprised to see Dallas having 1A D2, that throws the logic around how I thought/assumed championship games were assigned right out the window.  I assumed that chapters were selected for a particular division, based on their experience within that division... meaning, I'd never expect to see Pecan Valley chapter selected for 6A D2 championship (meaning absolutely no disrespect to them at all, just that there's no schools that size in their immediate area that I know of), so curious how Dallas was selected for six man. 

...so how are these game assignments selected? 

(btw genuinely asking, not complaining at all.)

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 10:29:17 AM »
1AD2 (Balmorhea vs Richland Springs) has been postponed due to Covid issues at Balmorhea. Date and location is tbd.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 11:43:04 AM »
Kinda surprised to see Dallas having 1A D2, that throws the logic around how I thought/assumed championship games were assigned right out the window.  I assumed that chapters were selected for a particular division, based on their experience within that division... meaning, I'd never expect to see Pecan Valley chapter selected for 6A D2 championship (meaning absolutely no disrespect to them at all, just that there's no schools that size in their immediate area that I know of), so curious how Dallas was selected for six man. 

Coaches decide what chapter / crew they want to use.  I can't speak for Dallas, but I would expect that they do have experience with sixman.  Sometime we lose sight on the number of private schools that are sixman in the Dallas area.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 12:06:48 PM »

I'm familiar with the situation, though I'd rather not publicly comment on it. I'm not going to bind him into talking to you about this, but it is my guess that if you are interested in the details of the assignment, the Dallas secretary will answer your questions. You can find out his contact info on the dfoa.com site.

I think, whenever possible, the state championship games (for whatever level) should be spread out among chapters. However, this is the first time in centuries (no, really, at least 15 and possibly more than 20) Dallas has had a 6 man UIL state champ. game. Dallas does work them, including a few UIL schools, though the numbers dropped off there for a while. They came back recently (last 3 years) with several private schools who used to play 11 man going to 6. I can think of 3 such schools off the top of my head and I'm sure there are more. As far as I know, only one school in the Dallas area that played 6 in recent memory now plays 11. Anyway, it adds up to about 40-ish games a year, give or take half a dozen. It used to be a lot more -- well over 50, about 7 or 8 games a week. If Dallas can complain about anything, it is the dearth of early round 6 man playoff games, especially in the North Texas general area. That's not to slight the chapters that do get those games, it is just frustrating to see guys work 6 or 8 games during the season for a few seasons and never get a playoff opportunity.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 12:38:27 PM »
We had a sixman school contact us for the playoffs and they specifically requested a crew that weren't "sixman officials", but instead wanted a crew that I would use on our big 11 man games. 

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2020, 10:47:26 AM »
I'm familiar with the situation, though I'd rather not publicly comment on it. I'm not going to bind him into talking to you about this, but it is my guess that if you are interested in the details of the assignment, the Dallas secretary will answer your questions. You can find out his contact info on the dfoa.com site.

I think, whenever possible, the state championship games (for whatever level) should be spread out among chapters. However, this is the first time in centuries (no, really, at least 15 and possibly more than 20) Dallas has had a 6 man UIL state champ. game. Dallas does work them, including a few UIL schools, though the numbers dropped off there for a while. They came back recently (last 3 years) with several private schools who used to play 11 man going to 6. I can think of 3 such schools off the top of my head and I'm sure there are more. As far as I know, only one school in the Dallas area that played 6 in recent memory now plays 11. Anyway, it adds up to about 40-ish games a year, give or take half a dozen. It used to be a lot more -- well over 50, about 7 or 8 games a week. If Dallas can complain about anything, it is the dearth of early round 6 man playoff games, especially in the North Texas general area. That's not to slight the chapters that do get those games, it is just frustrating to see guys work 6 or 8 games during the season for a few seasons and never get a playoff opportunity.

I don't think he has anything to explain to me, tbh, I'm excited for them, and confident they will do well.  It just didn't jive with my understanding of how games were assigned.  I thought UIL assigned chapters to championship games, and coaches picked crews (or at least a WH who then picked his crew.)  I've never seen publicly anything that explains the process or procedures. 

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2020, 12:37:32 PM »
We had a sixman school contact us for the playoffs and they specifically requested a crew that weren't "sixman officials", but instead wanted a crew that I would use on our big 11 man games. 

Send ‘em a 7 man crew,,

LOL

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
I don't think he has anything to explain to me, tbh, I'm excited for them, and confident they will do well.  It just didn't jive with my understanding of how games were assigned.  I thought UIL assigned chapters to championship games, and coaches picked crews (or at least a WH who then picked his crew.)  I've never seen publicly anything that explains the process or procedures.

The UIL only picks the chapter whenever the two teams can't agree.  In TAPPS,  the championships rotate amongst all the chapters.

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 01:15:26 PM »
 My understanding is that Championship Games are no different than all other football games.  Coaches can agree to a Chapter, and a specific crew, if they can.  Over the last ten years or so this is the most common scenario.  The UIL only get involved if the 2 schools cannot agree on which Chapter to use.  So, if School A wants Houston and School B wants Dallas, the UIL will decide what chapter gets the game; says maybe Abilene.  I have no idea what process UIL uses to select a chapter.   But, once a Chapter is decided upon, is is up t the Chapter to decide who to assign.  It is unlikely that a chapter would "assign" a WH who can then pick "his guys."  A Chapter is most likely going to assign a Crew if that is how the Chapter is organized, or will hand pick the 5 or 7 officials to work the game.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 01:23:53 PM »
Another situation that happens is the two teams will agree on a chapter and then submit that to the UIL and have the UIL contact the chapter.  Neither coach trusts each other to make the phone call so they get UIL to.

In our chapter we have established 5 man crews but we work a lot of 7 man.  In those if we assign the crew,  we then let the Referee pick the 2 additional crew members.   I know that some chapters who don't have established crews they will assign the Referee and then let him fill the other positions.