Author Topic: TASO Annual Test now available...  (Read 1662 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
TASO Annual Test now available...
« on: July 01, 2021, 10:21:22 AM »
...and I already have a question:

Airborne A88 receives a legal forward pass one yard within Team B’s end zone. As A88 receives the ball, he is contacted by B19 and first comes to the ground, on his feet, with the catch at the one-yard line. After he regains his balance, he runs and is downed at the B-5. RULING: Touchdown.

True or False.

I answered True, because he caught the ball, the ball broke the plane, and was a legal catch. I got it wrong.  And I'm not understanding the rationale from the the reference given: AR 5-1-3 -II

Airborne A2 receives a legal forward pass at Team A’s 35-yard line. As A2 receives the ball, he is contacted by B1 and first comes to the ground with the ball at Team A’s 33-yard line, where the ball is declared dead. RULING: Team A’s ball at the 35-yard line. This is the point of forward progress.

If the receiver is given forward progress 'credit' to the A35 then why in this scenario is he not credited with his forward progress where he caught the ball?

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: TASO Annual Test now available...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 10:27:21 AM »
To avoid actually putting the answer out there since TASO probably wouldn’t like that, here’s a hint. Look at how the end of the play in the test question and the end of the play in the AR are different. How does each play end?

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 10:32:01 AM »
Yeah I probably shouldn't post verbatim questions LOL.  But it's a legit question I have over the reference.

To your point, yes they are different, but the reference indicates the AR is the source of judgement.  If there's a different rule that governs this, it should be listed.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 11:26:14 AM »
Not sure if it was a typo, but you're right, there is another AR that would have been a better reference. Check out 5-1-3-II.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 12:30:15 PM »
Thanks for that, I really was puzzled as to why it wasn't lining up with the scenario.

Offline CosmoKramer

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 01:24:34 PM »
Maybe someone can help me here.  I logged in, as instructed, and I'm not seeing the test link anywhere on my portal.  My dues are paid, obviously since I can log in, and I've cleared by cache and browser history just to make sure.  But where I typically see it I get nothing in regards to the link to take the test.  I've also placed a screen shot showing now link.  Thoughts?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 01:40:31 PM »
...and I already have a question:

Airborne A88 receives a legal forward pass one yard within Team B’s end zone. As A88 receives the ball, he is contacted by B19 and first comes to the ground, on his feet, with the catch at the one-yard line. After he regains his balance, he runs and is downed at the B-5. RULING: Touchdown.

True or False.

I answered True, because he caught the ball, the ball broke the plane, and was a legal catch. I got it wrong.  And I'm not understanding the rationale from the the reference given: AR 5-1-3 -II

Airborne A2 receives a legal forward pass at Team A’s 35-yard line. As A2 receives the ball, he is contacted by B1 and first comes to the ground with the ball at Team A’s 33-yard line, where the ball is declared dead. RULING: Team A’s ball at the 35-yard line. This is the point of forward progress.

If the receiver is given forward progress 'credit' to the A35 then why in this scenario is he not credited with his forward progress where he caught the ball?

I'm confused. Did you edit the reference in your post? AR 5-2-3-II is the correct one. As Legacy noted, the AR play language you posted is AR 5-2-3-III.

If you edited your post to the correct reference, then everything makes sense.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 04:02:06 PM »
No, I didn't change it, but I did get the reference wrong.  Derp on my part.  Was multitasking and literally just read the wrong (albeit related) AR.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2021, 08:10:29 PM »
No, I didn't change it, but I did get the reference wrong.  Derp on my part.  Was multitasking and literally just read the wrong (albeit related) AR.

10-4. Now I’m on your page.