Author Topic: What rules are the hardest for new officials to grasp?  (Read 888 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +16/-7
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
What rules are the hardest for new officials to grasp?
« on: August 16, 2021, 12:25:04 PM »

Saw this question in the NHFS section and thought I'd ask it here - what are the top rules/scenarios that you think officials have the most trouble with, particularly newer officials?

For me, the hardest things to remember are, in no particular order:

Huddle rules
shift/motion rules
BBW rules

(Not because I am ignorant of the rules and nuances, just that these topics have a much harder time 'sticking' for me.)

I've got some ideas for possible training materials around some of these topics, would be good to see what others would see as a need, vs just my own experience.

Offline CosmoKramer

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: What rules are the hardest for new officials to grasp?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 11:06:07 AM »

Saw this question in the NHFS section and thought I'd ask it here - what are the top rules/scenarios that you think officials have the most trouble with, particularly newer officials?

For me, the hardest things to remember are, in no particular order:

Huddle rules
shift/motion rules
BBW rules

(Not because I am ignorant of the rules and nuances, just that these topics have a much harder time 'sticking' for me.)

I've got some ideas for possible training materials around some of these topics, would be good to see what others would see as a need, vs just my own experience.

Almost any rule that deals with the kicking game.  Post scrimmage kick enforcements, enforcements when the foul occurs during a loose ball situation, fouls and situations that occur dealing with a player and/or ball being in the end zone is where I'd suggest starting. 

Offline FWREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 11:38:53 AM »
The question that i get most often from members is the 3 and 1 rule. Folks just don't seem to get it.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +126/-122
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 11:41:16 AM »
IMHO, of all of the NCAA Football Rules, the Blocking Below the Waist rules are the most complicated and difficult to translate to the field. In their efforts to keep BBW, but make it 'safer,' it has become a complicated beast, that is very difficult to officiate. The changing conditions throughout a scrimmage down make it very difficult. Not impossible, but very difficult.

Offline HOULJ

• FAN REACTION: +3/-5
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 02:00:19 PM »
I think the hardest thing for new officials is when to call a foul and when to let it go. Obviously we want to make sure and get all the safety fouls, but I feel like we all go in with the mindset of I am going to catch every single thing we see. Communication is key. If you see something that you think is borderline and let it go. You definitely need to talk to the player or players. If they think that they got away with something. They will try it again.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +78/-26
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 03:09:03 PM »
Just remember that without Rule 2 none of it will make sense
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +16/-7
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 09:54:13 PM »
I've been working on building a website out to house all of the great content already out there, as well as some that I've created (and hopefully will do a lot more of.)  There's a lot of resources out there, but they're scattered, and not easily found in some instances.  It makes it very difficult, particularly for newer officials, to find helpful information quickly.

https://txfbofficials.com/

I'd love feedback (and content, if you have any - either already made, or if you want to write on a particular topic), please feel free to share.  Some of the material is NHFS, I tried to avoid that as much as possible, but let's face it, there' 49 other states doing things differently than Texas/NCAA, so it's just more content), and some from NCAA, I have adjusted some to fit UIL rules, but I am sure I missed things, so if you see something that doesn't specifically apply to UIL rules, please let me know so I can get it corrected.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 12:00:42 PM »
Rule 8-7