Author Topic: 6 Man Less than 5 players  (Read 872 times)

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
6 Man Less than 5 players
« on: October 29, 2021, 11:33:22 AM »
6 man game.  Team A starts with 6 players, one goes down for injury, so down to 5.  The rules are clear that he game cannot continue if a team only has 4 players.

Scenario 1:  Team A player gets a cramp, it's obvious it's a cramp, and goes down.  There is no way to buy him back with a TO, even though both teams/coaches wish to continue playing so the game is suspended.

Scenario 2:  Team A player has helmet come off for non-foul related reasons, and Team A is out of TO.  Is there a way to get around having to suspend the game? 

Had somewhat similar scenario for A come up a few weeks ago, we couldn't think of a way to continue play.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: 6 Man Less than 5 players
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 12:48:14 PM »
By rule, you can’t continue. But I think this is a situation that needs to be clarified by TASO/UIL. The 5 player rule is there to prevent a team from being outmanned and overpowered. It’s supposed to be for teams that would have to play the rest of the game or at least a large portion of the game with less than 5. In my opinion, if it’s for one play like a helmet coming off, they should be able to play one down 6 on 4 and continue the game. Even for something like a cramp, let them stretch it out for a down or two and then keep going.

But that’s just my opinion. We probably need a UIL/TASO ruling for this situation.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 01:17:05 PM »
The rules actually say start with six but may play with 5 or 4, but less than 4 the game should be suspended.  Not sure how strict the word "should" is, but it's certainly not the same as "must".

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 01:30:57 PM »
Shoot, you’re right Jason. But either way, the same theory applies. If it’s just one or two plays, a team should be able to continue.