Author Topic: UIL Reclassification  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
UIL Reclassification
« on: February 14, 2022, 11:54:18 AM »
Has anyone noticed that UIL put Seminole and Perryton in the same district?  322 miles between the two!

Wow!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: UIL Reclassification
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 01:06:02 PM »
Yeah that's bonkers.  I don't know if it was this way in the past, but there are a few 10-team districts in 5A and maybe small 6A, I think in the Dallas area. 

Also: For basketball, Forsan is in the same district as Anthony - 377 miles.  That's some looong bus rides on Mondays and Tuesdays.

For football, they're either going to have to open up 7A or go to three divisions in the some or all of the classifications very, very soon.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 01:10:14 PM by dammitbobby »

Offline CosmoKramer

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 01:12:44 PM »
Yeah that's bonkers.  I don't know if it was this way in the past, but there are a few 10-team districts in 5A and maybe small 6A, I think in the Dallas area. 

Also: For basketball, Forsan is in the same district as Anthony - 377 miles.  That's some looong junior high bus rides.

They're either going to have to open up 7A or go to three divisions in the some or all of the classifications very, very soon.

Seminole & Perryton was this way the past two years as well.  No way we need three divisions.  I know teams do not like to lose home games but in situations like those mentioned I think they should agree to meet half way each season.  If not half way then something like, year 1 (Seminole home team) so they meet in Plainview.  Year 2 (Perryton home team) they meet in Amarillo.  This way the "home team" travels the smaller distance.  Just a thought.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 01:22:36 PM »
How about tough districts.  Any harder than 3A-11 D1?  Four teams with 8 state championship appearances and 6 state titles since 2010.  Forgot: 2 defending state champions.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 02:21:30 PM »
Seminole & Perryton was this way the past two years as well.  No way we need three divisions.  I know teams do not like to lose home games but in situations like those mentioned I think they should agree to meet half way each season.  If not half way then something like, year 1 (Seminole home team) so they meet in Plainview.  Year 2 (Perryton home team) they meet in Amarillo.  This way the "home team" travels the smaller distance.  Just a thought.

No objections to that except from a scheduling perspective, makes it much more challenging.

Offline CosmoKramer

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 03:14:24 PM »
No objections to that except from a scheduling perspective, makes it much more challenging.

Here's a solution.  Schedule the game to be played on Saturday at 2pm in the respective, listed, location.  Not only are stadiums most likely available but it also helps with the shortage of officials on Friday night. 

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 04:16:54 PM »
#Cosmokramer4Prez

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 11:54:48 AM »
Here's a solution.  Schedule the game to be played on Saturday at 2pm in the respective, listed, location.  Not only are stadiums most likely available but it also helps with the shortage of officials on Friday night. 

Oh no, we can’t do  that! It would make to much sense!

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 04:34:19 PM »
There is nothing keeping UIL schools from doing just that, other than it doesn't fit the "Friday night" model and routine to which they are accustomed. And, since they are in charge, until they literally have nobody able to work 5A and 6A games on Fridays, it probably won't change.
So, in the mean time, we all need to brainstorm ways to recruit. and retain. We will be sending representatives to coaches clinics to 1) request that coaches encourage their seniors that may not be able or planning to play college football to consider officiating, and 2) solicit their assistance with retention by exhibiting more patience with younger/newer officials, so officials don't decide that this isn't worth it. It IS in their best interest.
We'll be placing flyers in local fitness centers. We'll be setting up recruiting tables at local grocery stores and shopping centers. We'll be talking to radio and TV stations to get the word out. We'll visit with local University organizations, such as Rec Sports, fraternities, residence halls, etc. And much, much more.
Let's don't leave it to the UIL to make our lives better. Let's grab that bull by the horns with our own hands. We can do it.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 05:06:47 PM »
TASO has a recruitment committee, I'm supposed to be added to it, but I don't think it's been active the last few months (at least I've not heard anything formal from them). 

Something else I've been tossing around in my min as I work through the training materials stuff, is that it would be awesome to get officials who are retiring/retired, to teach a class at the Juco level as an elective on officiating a particular sport.  Even part time, I'm, guessing that would amount to what, 8-10 sessions in a semester, meeting once a week in the evening, something like that?  Would be great if TASO could come up with some kind of semi-formal curriculum or at least a course outline around that.  Shoot, I'd be willing to teach it as a spring or summer class.  Just go over rules, terminology, mechanics, etc.  Can't really get snaps but this would be one of the next best things.  I could see schools like TJC, MCC, SPC, WTC, TSTC, etc. offering this as an elective, if TASO would pitch it to them. 

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 05:46:54 PM »
TASO has a recruitment committee, I'm supposed to be added to it, but I don't think it's been active the last few months (at least I've not heard anything formal from them). 

Something else I've been tossing around in my min as I work through the training materials stuff, is that it would be awesome to get officials who are retiring/retired, to teach a class at the Juco level as an elective on officiating a particular sport.  Even part time, I'm, guessing that would amount to what, 8-10 sessions in a semester, meeting once a week in the evening, something like that?  Would be great if TASO could come up with some kind of semi-formal curriculum or at least a course outline around that.  Shoot, I'd be willing to teach it as a spring or summer class.  Just go over rules, terminology, mechanics, etc.  Can't really get snaps but this would be one of the next best things.  I could see schools like TJC, MCC, SPC, WTC, TSTC, etc. offering this as an elective, if TASO would pitch it to them.

Our offseason board meeting is this weekend and I expect there will be some action items on the agenda regarding the recruiting committee recommendations.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 05:50:09 PM »

When I was in Amarillo, we had someone teach a class on officiating for a couple of years. We got exactly 2 officials. One stayed a year, the other for three and then became a coach on graduation.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 06:07:45 PM »
Really?  Hmm I would have thought it would have had a stronger interest than that.  May not work then LOL.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2022, 08:12:20 PM »
Really?  Hmm I would have thought it would have had a stronger interest than that.  May not work then LOL.

Ask yourself: Why do people attending college take elective classes?

Well, very few are really interested in the subject.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 08:18:42 PM »
At this point we may not be able to find 1 idea to bring us 50 new people but maybe we can come up with 50 ideas to each bring us 1 new person.  Each idea is worth trying.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2022, 08:47:48 PM »
Ask yourself: Why do people attending college take elective classes?

Well, very few are really interested in the subject.

You're not wrong, but basing it off of my own experience, I was a peewee coach, and had a ref suggest to me that I should become an official (not because I knew more than him, L OL, but he could tell I loved the game, and the kids) and I kid you not, up to that point, it had never, ever, ever occurred to me to become an official.  So maybe people are interested but they just don't know it yet... like me.