Author Topic: TASO Annual Meeting - possible venue issues  (Read 4374 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
TASO Annual Meeting - possible venue issues
« on: March 18, 2022, 10:01:43 AM »
All TASO members may have received an e-mail with a "podcast" message regarding the Annual Meeting (in-person) scheduled for July 23 in the The Woodlands. For those that may have missed it, the podcast explained that the venue for the meeting will be in the process of renovating their guest rooms (a project postponed from 2021 due to COVID). TASO is evaluating the situation and their options, including re-scheduling the meeting to a different date, or moving the meeting to a different location. Obviously, they will notify everyone with any decisions they make regarding the Annual Meeting at their earliest opportunity.

I will just be happy that we get an in-person meeting. I don't care where, or when. I miss all y'all's faces (as sick as that sounds).  (I wonder if Hawai'i is a consideration?  Or, how about a 3 to 5-day Caribbean cruise? Meet in the mornings, relax in the afternoons, with live music on the pool deck. Hmmmm. 8])

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
Re: TASO Annual Meeting - possible venue issues
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2022, 02:35:07 PM »
Or, how about a 3 to 5-day Caribbean cruise? Meet in the mornings, relax in the afternoons, with live music on the pool deck. Hmmmm. 8])

Let me know if this happens.  I'll join TASO. 

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 03:28:47 PM »
Let me know if this happens.  I'll join TASO.

Forget about TASO. In February of every year (except in '21), there is a cruise called the 70s Rock and Romance Cruise (Celebrity Cruise Lines). Every day there is live music by 70s era rock and roll bands and musicians, at several venues around the boat, from 10 am until midnight (and beyond). The 'big' acts play in the theater, while other folks play in lounges and on the pool deck. Attached are photos of Don Felder and Peter Frampton that I took in '17 and '20. Don't really have any good pics from this year - got lazy. Others we've seen: America, ELO, Cheap Trick, Foreigner, Christopher Cross, Randy Bachman, Jefferson Starship, Player, Ambrosia, Rita Coolidge, and many, many more. (I sound like an advertisement - sorry.) Anyway, we could have breakfast, talk rules and mechanics, tell some war stories, have lunch, then enjoy music the rest of the day and night. In 80 degree temperatures instead of 20s. And lots of good food.

Who's in? 8]
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 03:45:57 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 03:43:48 PM »
I'll take a zoom state meeting any day.  I have no desire to drive half-way across the state in July, pay for hotel, gas, food, etc, when I can sit at my dining room table, save that money for vacation, and time spent traveling, and get the same exact training.  Why?  No thanks. 

We have to start utilizing what technology is available, or at least make it optional at the same cost.  Many young guys simply will not be able to attend in person and we had better start accommodating that generation or continue not being able to get newbies and/or lose the ones we have.

That's my worthless 2 cents.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 04:11:53 PM »
Doc, we will respectfully agree to disagree on that. And I do mean respectfully. My opinion is certainly no better than yours. But I definitely have a different opinion.
Virtual meetings/learning is practically worthless, as every superintendent with whom I come into contact with on nearly a daily basis will attest. And, I will attest that the younger folks in our chapter that have their faces stuck in their phones during our in-person meetings don't learn squat, as can be seen in their performances on the field. So, they dang sure ain't learnin' anything at home or, more likely, while driving around with the meeting on their phone in the background, just for 'credit.'
There is no substitute for human interaction. I know that, while listening to a meeting presentation, I would learn a lot more by collaborating with folks around me during meetings during my younger TASO days AND during my FBS days.
As a clinician, I want  - I need  - audience interaction. The audience needs interaction with me. I can feel it. I didn't feel much of anything making my video presentation in 2020. I can't wait until I get into a room full of folks in July that are eager to learn, or even to try to stump me (which isn't that hard). They learn. I learn. Its about the people. I miss the people. And I hope they miss being with each other, too.
Let's get back together.
Yeah, there is some expense in time and money associated with the annual meeting. But, just like buying a new TV, or fishing rod, there is value with that expense. And, sometimes, the value is as much as you make it.
Off my box.
Everybody enjoy their weekend.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 11:30:41 AM »
As I understand, a trip across Texas can be up to 800 miles. A trip from Pittsfield, Maine of 800 miles would bring you to the North Carolina border  :o. I feel your pain and understand how a cruise or journey to a Hawaii could be more appealing. Our annual meeting of MAFO (Maine Association of Football Officials) is a 80+ journey in a spiffy bus, We rent the spiffy bus from school payments from scrimmages that we don't get paid for. Sorta' like our school daze, the spiffy bus picks us up a designated spots.
We eagerly await it's arrival with our lunch pails (coolers) . Not much happens at the meeting  8].

Don't feel bad, guys, the Iditarod dog sled race is over 1,100 miles . Hence, the Alaskan motto : "Only the lead dog on the dog sled has a change of scenery"

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: aWaRd (8 dogs in a dog sled ?)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 04:07:16 PM »
As I understand, a trip across Texas can be up to 800 miles. A trip from Pittsfield, Maine of 800 miles would bring you to the North Carolina border  :o. I feel your pain and understand how a cruise or journey to a Hawaii could be more appealing. Our annual meeting of MAFO (Maine Association of Football Officials) is a 80+ journey in a spiffy bus, We rent the spiffy bus from school payments from scrimmages that we don't get paid for. Sorta' like our school daze, the spiffy bus picks us up a designated spots.
We eagerly await it's arrival with our lunch pails (coolers) . Not much happens at the meeting  8].

Don't feel bad, guys, the Iditarod dog sled race is over 1,100 miles . Hence, the Alaskan motto : "Only the lead dog on the dog sled has a change of scenery"

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: aWaRd (8 dogs in a dog sled ?)

From where I live, if I decided to drive to California and was going to stop halfway to stay the night, I'd still be in Texas at the halfway point. :!#

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2022, 10:50:20 AM »
Doc, we will respectfully agree to disagree on that. And I do mean respectfully. My opinion is certainly no better than yours. But I definitely have a different opinion.
Virtual meetings/learning is practically worthless, as every superintendent with whom I come into contact with on nearly a daily basis will attest. And, I will attest that the younger folks in our chapter that have their faces stuck in their phones during our in-person meetings don't learn squat, as can be seen in their performances on the field. So, they dang sure ain't learnin' anything at home or, more likely, while driving around with the meeting on their phone in the background, just for 'credit.'
There is no substitute for human interaction. I know that, while listening to a meeting presentation, I would learn a lot more by collaborating with folks around me during meetings during my younger TASO days AND during my FBS days.
As a clinician, I want  - I need  - audience interaction. The audience needs interaction with me. I can feel it. I didn't feel much of anything making my video presentation in 2020. I can't wait until I get into a room full of folks in July that are eager to learn, or even to try to stump me (which isn't that hard). They learn. I learn. Its about the people. I miss the people. And I hope they miss being with each other, too.
Let's get back together.
Yeah, there is some expense in time and money associated with the annual meeting. But, just like buying a new TV, or fishing rod, there is value with that expense. And, sometimes, the value is as much as you make it.
Off my box.
Everybody enjoy their weekend.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

I can't disagree with the belief that learning is better in-person.  No doubt.  But we also can't ignore that gas is now approaching $4 a gallon and there's no end in sight to that higher gas price.  With that comes higher costs for everything.  A virtual meeting, or the option to go that route for all member instead of in-person meeting, is just the right thing to do.  I know that my days of going to a state meeting in-person are probably done.  I actually feel like I learn much more on-line, but then everyone has their own ways of learning.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:27:18 AM by TexDoc »

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 11:30:13 AM »
All TASO members may have received an e-mail with a "podcast" message regarding the Annual Meeting (in-person) scheduled for July 23 in the The Woodlands. For those that may have missed it, the podcast explained that the venue for the meeting will be in the process of renovating their guest rooms (a project postponed from 2021 due to COVID). TASO is evaluating the situation and their options, including re-scheduling the meeting to a different date, or moving the meeting to a different location. Obviously, they will notify everyone with any decisions they make regarding the Annual Meeting at their earliest opportunity.

I will just be happy that we get an in-person meeting. I don't care where, or when. I miss all y'all's faces (as sick as that sounds).  (I wonder if Hawai'i is a consideration?  Or, how about a 3 to 5-day Caribbean cruise? Meet in the mornings, relax in the afternoons, with live music on the pool deck. Hmmmm. 8])

I hope another venue in The Woodlands can be secured. A 20 minute drive is right up my alley!   8]

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 01:29:57 PM »
From where I live, if I decided to drive to California and was going to stop halfway to stay the night, I'd still be in Texas at the halfway point. :!#

I worked one college summer as an intern at Walt Disney World in horticulture... driving from Dalhart, I spent more time driving in Texas, than Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida combined.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2022, 02:01:52 PM »
I worked one college summer as an intern at Walt Disney World in horticulture... driving from Dalhart, I spent more time driving in Texas, than Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida combined.
Visiting my son In Phoenix AZ then riding with him to visit my daughter in Victoria Tx, his vehicle mapping system advised, after leaving Tucson and approaching US 10. "Stay straight for the next 760 miles" yes Texas is a BIG State.

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2022, 03:15:07 PM »
Flip Texas to the east and El Paso is in the Atlantic Ocean
Flip it left and Orange is on the west coast
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2022, 05:29:08 PM »
yes Texas is a BIG State.

Had the Liberty Bowl in Memphis in 2006. Delta Airlines was a sponsor, so they wanted to book us on Delta. Bowl rep called and said that Delta doesn’t fly out of Lubbock (yes, ma’am, I know), so I would have to go to Houston to catch my flight. “Uh, ma’am, I don’t think you realize how large Texas is. Houston is 10 hours from Lubbock. In 2 1/2 more hours, I could be IN Memphis.” They ended up letting us make our own travel arrangements, and gave us vouchers for future travel on Delta. But, I’d still have to get to DFW or Houston. Vouchers expired before I could ever use them. I ate that ticket. But, we had a good game, and a great time, so no big deal.
Texas is big.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 08:15:53 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2022, 04:21:58 AM »
Had the Liberty Bowl in Memphis in 2004. Delta Airlines was a sponsor, so they wanted to book us on Delta. Bowl rep called and said that Delta doesn’t fly out of Lubbock (yes, ma’am, I know), so I would have to go to Houston to catch my flight. “Uh, ma’am, I don’t think you realize how large Texas is. Houston is 10 hours from Lubbock. In 2 1/2 more hours, I could be IN Memphis.” They ended up letting us make our own travel arrangements, and gave us vouchers for future travel on Delta. But, I’d still have to get to DFW or Houston. Vouchers expired before I could ever use them. I ate that ticket. But, we had a good game, and a great time, so no big deal.
Texas is big.
DFW,, what happened to ole' Love Field with the statue of a Texas Ranger above the quote : "ONE RANGER, ONE RIOT" ?  P_S

Online Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 06:35:40 AM »
It is still there, mostly a terminal for Southwest Airlines
Statue still there also

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 06:59:46 AM »
Visiting my son In Phoenix AZ then riding with him to visit my daughter in Victoria Tx, his vehicle mapping system advised, after leaving Tucson and approaching US 10. "Stay straight for the next 760 miles" yes Texas is a BIG State.

Victoria is not too far from me, in Texas standards.  About 70 miles.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 01:26:01 PM by TexDoc »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2022, 09:11:24 AM »
Victoria is not too far from, in Texas standards.  About 70 miles.
We Easterners can travel from West Virginia ,cross the mighty Potomac River into Hancock, Maryland, soon to enter Pennsylvania. The distance IS 1.8 MILES ! :!#

Tuesday Trivia: Which state borders but one state. ?
                       Which letter in the alphabet is not in any state's names ?
                       Which states are called commonwealths ?
                       Why ?
                       Which state has but one syllable ?
                       Will a Texan be the first to score 100 ?

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2022, 11:16:02 AM »
Maine has 1 syllable and 1 (domestic) border.

The letter Q is not used in any state name.

And the commonwealths are Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and (95% sure) Massachusetts.

And as a bonus question: What is the only state to not share a letter with its capital city? I.e. Texas shares T, A, and S with its capital city, Austin.

Online Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2022, 11:32:24 AM »
Also Amarillo,TX up in the Panhandle is closer the Capital of five other states than it is to the Texas Capital in Austin!

South Dakota- Pierre

Cheated and looked it up!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:34:48 AM by Etref »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2022, 11:38:34 AM »
Maine has 1 syllable and 1 (domestic) border.

The letter Q is not used in any state name.

And the commonwealths are Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and (95% sure) Massachusetts.

And as a bonus question: What is the only state to not share a letter with its capital city? I.e. Texas shares T, A, and S with its capital city, Austin.
Pierre, South Dakota comes to mind. Another state question : Two states have never sent their men's basketball teams to The Big Dance,can you name 'em?

Online Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2022, 12:18:25 PM »
I’ll guess and say Maine and Utah

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2022, 01:03:40 PM »
I’ll guess and say Maine and Utah
Half right, Etref, Maine has never made it, the other state has a good excuse - Alaska doesn't have any D-1 basketball teams. Our arch-rival ,New Hampshire, has never gone; but Dartmouth saved their state's day by winning the Ivy League , which always sends their champion. I believe both Utah and BYU has gone in the past.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2022, 01:52:21 PM »
Ralph,
I believe you also asked "Why?" those states also refer to themselves as Commonwealths. Uh, because they can. Nothing legal or illegal about it. Using that expression in the name of their states provides them nothing extra, or special, with respect to the union, as a whole. It means, "for the common good." In that sense, all states are "Commonwealths." Yes, for those particular states, it is a nod to their English heritage. But that's it. Kinda sounds cool. But means nothing more than "Arkansas," "Colorado," "Hawai'i," or "Texas." We are all equal, in the eyes of the Constitution.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2022, 02:59:50 PM »
Thanks, Elvis, for your response. The legend that I heard went something like this …..

ACT I : Back in the 17th century, an English scholar made the statement, "The British  Empire would be better off ruled by a commonwealth of people than by a crazy king !"  The king didn't like that comment and the scholar's head ended up on a stick in front of the castle.

ACT II : When the 13 colonies gathered to write up the Declaration of Independence, they felt the need to drop their label of 'colonies' as that indicated that they belonged to somebody. 10 colonies decided to be called states. Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia contained the most rabble-rousers. Those rabble-rousers decided to stick it in the eye of King George III and change their label from colonies to COMMONWEALTHS.

ACT III : When Kentucky declared statehood in 1792 and separated from Virginia , it chose to remain a commonwealth.

ACT IV : Since then, pieces of two commonwealths have also separated but became states - Maine from Massachusetts and West Virginia from Virginia. Both new states didn't leave their commonwealths on a happy note and not to keep that memory.

ACT V : I believe that the statehood charter of Texas allows that someday it can become 5 states. If that occurred, (1) would all five send GOP US senators to DC; (2) would any choose to play football under NFHS; (3) would any choose to be referred to as commonwealths.

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2022, 03:59:09 PM »
Thanks, Elvis, for your response. The legend that I heard went something like this …..

ACT I : Back in the 17th century, an English scholar made the statement, "The British  Empire would be better off ruled by a commonwealth of people than by a crazy king !"  The king didn't like that comment and the scholar's head ended up on a stick in front of the castle.

ACT II : When the 13 colonies gathered to write up the Declaration of Independence, they felt the need to drop their label of 'colonies' as that indicated that they belonged to somebody. 10 colonies decided to be called states. Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia contained the most rabble-rousers. Those rabble-rousers decided to stick it in the eye of King George III and change their label from colonies to COMMONWEALTHS.

ACT III : When Kentucky declared statehood in 1792 and separated from Virginia , it chose to remain a commonwealth.

ACT IV : Since then, pieces of two commonwealths have also separated but became states - Maine from Massachusetts and West Virginia from Virginia. Both new states didn't leave their commonwealths on a happy note and not to keep that memory.

ACT V : I believe that the statehood charter of Texas allows that someday it can become 5 states. If that occurred, (1) would all five send GOP US senators to DC; (2) would any choose to play football under NFHS; (3) would any choose to be referred to as commonwealths.

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

We'd secede and form our own country before we'd break it up. And don't think we can't.  :D Besides a LOT of land, we've got water, ports, airfields, railroads, agriculture, ranching, industry, higher education, labor, independent attitude, and, best of all, Blue Bell Ice Cream. eAt&