Author Topic: Flagrant PF/FMM  (Read 389 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +16/-7
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Flagrant PF/FMM
« on: May 03, 2022, 10:11:06 AM »
Thinking about flagrant/nonflagrant personal fouls reminded me of a play from earlier this year.  What would the criteria have to be on a FMM foul to be flagrant? 

https://youtu.be/PmuI7tfct3k

Offline FWREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Flagrant PF/FMM
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 10:02:07 AM »
This, to me, does not rise to the level of flagrant. While it looks really bad i believe that this occurred in the context of the play. The defender grabbed at the runner who was moving past him and got the facemask. The momentum of both players in the opposite direction made it look rough but i would not call a flagrant foul here. I have had and flagrant FMM and DQ'ed players before. To me a flagrant FMM has to occur outside the context of the game. The play I had a DQ on, the defender swung the runner around about 180 degrees and then let go. "Throwing" the runner by the facemask and I DQ'ed him for it. There are obviously other scenarios but i think that makes my point. Just my 2 cents....

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +126/-122
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 11:12:51 AM »
Concur with FWREF. Just a 'standard' FMM foul. No overt attempt to 'punish' the opponent. Yeah, the helmet got yanked off. But that was just a by-product of the foul, nothing more. The BC does not have to sit out a down.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +16/-7
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 12:58:55 PM »
This, to me, does not rise to the level of flagrant. While it looks really bad i believe that this occurred in the context of the play. The defender grabbed at the runner who was moving past him and got the facemask. The momentum of both players in the opposite direction made it look rough but i would not call a flagrant foul here. I have had and flagrant FMM and DQ'ed players before. To me a flagrant FMM has to occur outside the context of the game. The play I had a DQ on, the defender swung the runner around about 180 degrees and then let go. "Throwing" the runner by the facemask and I DQ'ed him for it. There are obviously other scenarios but i think that makes my point. Just my 2 cents....

Thank you, that is a very helpful explanation.