Author Topic: Steve Shaw on Blocking Below the Waist  (Read 439 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +126/-122
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Steve Shaw on Blocking Below the Waist
« on: June 16, 2022, 08:46:27 AM »
Great answers and info provided by Shaw regarding blocking below the waist last night. Hope you tuned in.

Takeaways:

The new BBW rules are for player safety. The NCAA has loads of data showing how the implementation of previous BBW rules have reduced injuries.

Don't be too technical on the extension of the Tackle Box one-yard beyond the NZ. The intent is to eliminate low blocks on defenders in the "second level".

Initial charge:
-Not necessarily straight ahead, but needs to be the initial action. Example: Offensive tackle trying to block a charging defensive tackle at the “edge,” at the snap, drives directly toward the DT, but an angle - not directly forward - and makes contact at the side - this is a legal block.
-Needs to be immediately at the snap. A clear delay before a player begins his charge is not “initial charge.”
-Any sort of second action, such as a coming off of one block to make another block, changing direction, standing up, or stepping backward, before making a low block is not within the initial charge, and the block must be from the front, in the TB, as long as the ball is in the TB.

All low blocks must be actually made within the tackle box, to be legal. A low block on an opponent who is clearly outside the TB, even if the blocker's feet may still be in the TB, is not legal. But, don’t be too technical about the tackle box. If the block itself is right at the edge, don’t be too technical.

No player that comes from outside the TB, or a player that leaves the tackle box and then returns inside the tackle box, may block low, anywhere on the field, regardless of direction.

The restrictions on Team B are greater than for Team A, i.e., Team B may only block low during the initial charge by stationary players within one yard of the NZ. Other than that, no BBW by Team B, anywhere on the field (including in the TB, even though Team A may be allowed to BBW there). The Rules Committee knows this, but are concerned about defenders blocking low on lead blockers - particularly those moving laterally - and causing injury.

This is all from the "horse's mouth," so, now we know what is expected. We pass this along to coaches when we have the opportunity, and just tell them this is the way it is. No arguments. Don't like it? Talk to the UIL.

Just as with the UIL, some NCAA coaches are not happy with these rule changes. We are not to be concerned about that. These are the rules, for player safety. Coaches and players are expected to learn and comply with these rules, and officials are expected to enforce them.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +16/-7
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Steve Shaw on Blocking Below the Waist
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 09:44:43 AM »
I missed this one, but will be sure to watch when it is posted... great summary, this is very helpful.

Offline FWREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 04:42:24 PM »
Where is this posted on the TASO site?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +126/-122
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 05:06:37 PM »
Where is this posted on the TASO site?

It probably isn’t. Those are my notes from the Virtual Training Session in which all TASO-Football members could participate. But, I would expect that you will hear those interpretations from all of the TASO clinicians at the various upcoming rules clinics and state meeting.

Offline FWREF

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 01:29:33 PM »
Unfortunately, i was traveling for work and on a plane. I did think that they posted all of those sessions online for later viewing?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +106/-58
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 01:48:21 PM »
Unfortunately, i was traveling for work and on a plane. I did think that they posted all of those sessions online for later viewing?

Yes, the recording of past sessions are in the members portal.

Offline FWREF

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 02:49:52 PM »
The BBW video with Shaw was uploaded yesterday, is in the member portal under "Football Clinics" It really is must watch for all of us.