Author Topic: Regional Clinic Observation  (Read 1129 times)

Offline TexasProud

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Regional Clinic Observation
« on: July 27, 2022, 08:05:02 AM »
I find it interesting to compare the costs of the individual regional clinics.  Here's a little summary in comparison and please note I'm not including all clinics scheduled:

El Paso:  $25 with new officials attending for free
North Texas:  $30 but you are on your own for lunch (no complaint there).
South Plains:  $40 includes both breakfast and a BBQ lunch
Pecan Valley:  $50 includes lunch
Amarillo:  $55 includes BBQ lunch; $60 if you do not pre-register.

I'm not trying to make any earth shattering point.  I just find it interesting to see the difference between what chapters elect to charge for their clinics.   It seems some have a way or elect to absorb much of the expenses incurred such as clinician travel, pay and meals.  Also gives the perception some just want to profit off the clinic.  Happy studying everyone.  4 weeks until kickoff. 

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Regional Clinic Observation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 09:00:52 AM »
We based ours on what we would break even at.  Depending on how many attend we could lose money or make a small profit.  We give out door prizes as well and we also provide refreshments like drinks and donuts.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 09:23:34 AM »
Moreso than regional clinics, I find it completely bonkers that some chapter charge $40 or more for new officials training classes.  Ours are 100% free, for both new people interested in officiating, and existing officials, who want to drop in for a refresher.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2022, 10:18:26 AM »
Moreso than regional clinics, I find it completely bonkers that some chapter charge $40 or more for new officials training classes.  Ours are 100% free, for both new people interested in officiating, and existing officials, who want to drop in for a refresher.

Say what?  Charging for training other than a clinic?  We don't even charge our new members local dues.  Year 2 and 3 we only charge $10.  Year 4 and above is $20.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 10:30:45 AM »

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 10:49:34 AM »
That $40 is just the state dues fee for rookies that is “included” in the class registration. So they’re really not charging for the training, they’re just a middle man for paying the state.

Offline TexasProud

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 11:05:52 AM »
Say what?  Charging for training other than a clinic?  We don't even charge our new members local dues.  Year 2 and 3 we only charge $10.  Year 4 and above is $20.

Add to what Legacy stated and based off the link provided, this does not appear to me to be charging for training but rather a different, out of the box, effort to get new officials signed up.   The link does not specify if the training is for 1st year officials only so I would wonder if they still charge $40 for a veteran to attend and, if so, if that means the veteran is just donating to the training team because the $40 would not be applied to the TASO application fee, etc.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 11:27:56 AM »
Ah ok.  I thought it was specifically a fee for the training sessions.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 02:26:39 PM »
More specifically, that $40 was the normal fee for a new member to join TASO Football.  The purpose of that training program was a pilot program that TASO developed based on a request from McKinney ISD to help address the shortage of officials.  These classes culminated in working a JV scrimmage at one of the McKinney schools.  In order to put officials on the field to work a scrimmage they must be TASO members. Based on what they said at State meeting they will look to expand this program into other areas throughout the State.

Offline slo8140

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 04:03:25 PM »
I believe that the TASO Football Operating Procedures state that all regional clinics should be free to new TASO Members.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 04:42:59 PM »
I believe that the TASO Football Operating Procedures state that all regional clinics should be free to new TASO Members.

That is correct.  The only thing they can charge is if there is a meal fee.