Author Topic: UIL or TASO  (Read 223839 times)

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Re: UIL or TASO
« Reply #200 on: December 18, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
So schools can agree to use Non-UIL officials as long as they send in the report to UIL within 7 days.  That seems to be the way around all this.  We'll just get all our schools to bombard the UIL each week with all those reports.

The mutually agreed upon clause was in the original change also.  This one, however, closes that loophole by requiring UIL approval. 

Brad
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:18:32 PM by SATCFI »

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »
This new language tightens the Non UIL loophole in that it requires schools to get PRIOR CONSENT from Breithaup if they are to use non-UIL officials.

If that is the case, they are trying to tighten the nut on us because they have not had good response to their meeting tomorrow.

It is a shame that they simply refuse to sit down and work it out.  This sucks!
As written it would be consent from Odenwald. (But I suspect reality is every such "request" would be staffed through B also.)

Offline TXMike

« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2009, 08:33:50 PM »
For BlackandWhite -
Can you get some clarification from Mr T on this ?

The language in 1204b (as amended and as proposed to be further amended) implies there may be times when non-UIL officials work varsity games.    But the language at 1204(o)(4)(B) clearly says "Officials who are not registered with UIL will not be pernmitted to work Varsity or post-district games and should not be used for regular season games"

What is the story?

WABill

« Reply #203 on: December 18, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »
I have to know.  Who is at the meeting?  How strong was football attendance?  Does Tony the Tyrant need to start his door-to-door a bit sooner than he anticipated?

Offline NTXRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #204 on: December 18, 2009, 10:33:40 PM »
TXMike and TexDoc,
Word is that the SA brass was to attend the meeting.   Thought all of the big chapters weren't going to show.   What is your insight as to why they are going?

Offline ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
« Reply #205 on: December 18, 2009, 11:05:59 PM »
I too hope someone went to listen, and will give us a report.  If I were closer, I would have figured out some way to listen in.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #206 on: December 19, 2009, 06:35:46 AM »
TXMike and TexDoc,
Word is that the SA brass was to attend the meeting.   Thought all of the big chapters weren't going to show.   What is your insight as to why they are going?

Heard the same thing.  If they went it was without any mandate from the Chapter as a whole as we have not been asked formally to take one side or the other.  I also doubt they would go if they were forced to sign any "loyalty" agreement with UIL.  More likely they went because they know there are some folks in the Chapter who  want to go with UIL as well as some who are on the fence so the Board felt some obligation to gather info for them. 

txmustang68

« Reply #207 on: December 20, 2009, 06:29:59 PM »
Hey, Blackandwhite:
You've been asked by several members here about the specifics of how TASO has "screwed up" as you stated.  Are you going to list these specifics, or just keep dodging the question?

Mckorkle

« Reply #208 on: December 21, 2009, 04:13:38 PM »
BandW is just and Amway salesman!

txmustang68

« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2009, 06:48:40 PM »
Yep - like most cheap salesmen, when you get down to the brass tacks, they run and hide till another victim comes along.  I am beginning to think there are no advantages to being UIL.  If I were gung-ho about something like this, I would be selling it in a very very very positive spin as opposed to running down those that are opposed to it.  C'mon, BandW, convince me I'm wrong.

Offline tzebra

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #210 on: December 21, 2009, 07:53:30 PM »
The new 1204 version also says it would take effect immediately upon approval the commissioner of education. ( was July 1)  This way they won't have till wait till summer.

WABill

« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2009, 05:43:38 AM »
BandW = Tony "the lurker" Timmons?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2009, 08:15:44 AM »
BandW = Tony "the lurker" Timmons?

Who cares who he is, IGNORE HIM, HE WILL GO AWAY

That was in a movie also, forget which one!   >:D
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2010, 12:28:30 AM »

^flag

Please take time to watch the Youtube clips of the illustrious UIL Director of Officiating and decide for yourself if you feel like he truly represents the honesty and integrity that TASO officials demand. He is shown addressing the Houston UIL Basketball Chapter shortly after that group defected to the UIL by less than a handful of votes.

Go to the Youtube website(@ youtube.com) and simply search for "Tony Timmons UIL". There are some 10 different numbered film clips from this particular meeting there to look at. All I can say is to look at it and decide for yourself whether this is the role model or type of individual that you would like to see as the state leader of sports officials for the forseeable future!  z^
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:13:05 AM by arbitrator »

tex_ref_28

« Reply #214 on: February 08, 2010, 08:49:38 AM »
The YouTube videos are simply the good Dr.'s puppet being that...a puppet.  He has the same voice characterization and inflection of the good Dr.  The videos are hillarious.  Reminds me of when I was a kid and being dragged to the hell-fire and brimstone revival preaching of old time Southern Baptist preachers.  The only thing missing was the Bible being waved and the hankercheif used to wipe sweat from the brow.

fleetofoot

« Reply #215 on: February 08, 2010, 09:32:34 AM »
Exactly. Reminds me of revivals in the summer, except he wants his money up front.

jeffreff

« Reply #216 on: February 08, 2010, 11:22:46 AM »
Please take time to watch the Youtube clips of the illustrious UIL Director of Officiating and decide for yourself if you feel like he truly represents the honesty and integrity that TASO officials demand. He is shown addressing the Houston UIL Basketball Chapter shortly after that group defected to the UIL by less than a handful of votes.

If the court-ordered TRO is still in effect, why are the YT clips still allowed to be played?
Having these out there for all to see seems to violate the verbiage of the TRO.
Just saying......

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #217 on: February 08, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »
 ^flag

Too bad that the Dancing Monkey had  a "UIL alter call" with Houston Basketball. A slim majority did come forward to dedicate themselves as new officials for the new UIL order. It's good to know, however, that not everyone came forward; and that TASO/Houston Basketball is still functional and is working to compete with Tony the Tiger's group!  z^

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2010, 11:41:49 AM »
^flag

Too bad that the Dancing Monkey had  a "UIL alter call" with Houston Basketball. A slim majority did come forward to dedicate themselves as new officials for the new UIL order. It's good to know, however, that not everyone came forward; and that TASO/Houston Basketball is still functional and is working to compete with Tony the Tiger's group!  z^

Can you expand on this some?  The UIL Houston Basketball chapter has roughly 750 members.  How many are left in the TASO chapter?  I moved to Houston in August and was not even aware there was a TASO basketball chapter still in Houston.

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2010, 12:28:54 PM »
Can you expand on this some?  The UIL Houston Basketball chapter has roughly 750 members.  How many are left in the TASO chapter?  I moved to Houston in August and was not even aware there was a TASO basketball chapter still in Houston.

^flag

What remains of the Houston-TASO Basketball Chapter still exists up on the North side of Houston and has about 100 people who are either TASO loyalists(like myself) and some dual members. Their coverage now is limited to mostly private schools and some of the Northern suburban Houston area school districts.

Word on the street is that the UIL-Houston President(who was a former basketball player and student of the Good UIL Dr., when he was actually a high school basketball coach eons ago~ SEE THE CONNECTION YET?) has appointed himself as the "Hugo Chavez" President and feels that there is no immediate need for elections. Heck, I don't think that they have had even two meetings this season, when the old Chapter constitution called for an absolute minimum of seven. Supposedly, their Pres has made it abuntantly clear that all chapter appointments will be done by him without little or any kind of board or chapter ratification. There doesn't even appear to be the presence of an existing current Chapter Constitution and By-Laws for them to follow. I am told that once this group had defected to the UIL, that the President forced the existing Board Members into signing a "loyalty oath" to the UIL. I feel rather confident that the Venezuelan dictator should apply to join this group as he could well stand to take a few lessons from this guy!

The good news is that there is some word circulating that a lot of those members(non-officers and non-board members) who joined the defection, purely in order to have varsity basketball games to work for the 2009-10 basketball season, are actually rethinking their priorities and may be rejoining the TASO-Houston Chapter; more especially since the TASO lawsuit has gone forward and seems to be showing early signs of success.  z^
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:37:12 AM by arbitrator »

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »
Thank you for the information.  I've sent you a PM to discuss this further.

Offline TxJim

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »
^flag

What remains of the Houston-TASO Basketball Chapter still exists up on the North side of Houston and has about 100 people who are either TASO loyalists(like myself) and some dual members. Their coverage now is limited to mostly private schools and some of the Northern suburban Houston area school districts.

Word on the street is that the UIL-Houston President(who was a former basketball player and student of the Good UIL Dr., when he was actually a high school basketball coach eons ago~ SEE THE CONNECTION YET?) has appointed himself as the "Hugo Chavez" President and feels that there is no immediate need for elections. Heck, I don't think that they have had even two meetings this season, when the old Chapter constitution called for an absolute minimum of seven. Supposedly, their Pres has made it abuntantly clear that all chapter appointments will be done by him without little or any kind of board or chapter ratification. There doesn't even appear to be the presence of an existing current Chapter Constitution and By-Laws for them to follow. I am told that once this group had defected to the UIL, that the President forced the existing Board Members into signing a "loyalty oath" to the UIL. I feel rather confident that the Venezuelan dictator should apply to join this group as he could well stand to take a few lessons from this guy!

The good news is that there is some word circulating that a lot of those members(non-officers and non-board members) who joined the defection, purely in order to have varsity basketball games to work for the 2009-10 basketball season, are actually rethinking their priorities and may be rejoining the TASO-Houston Chapter; more especially since the TASO lawsuit has gone forward and seems to be showing early signs of success.  z^

Did anyone detect any increased accountabilty in that description of affairs of the UIL chapter?
Sportsmanship is contagious - Let's have an epidemic!

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2010, 10:26:42 AM »

Did anyone detect any increased accountabilty in that description of affairs of the UIL chapter?

^flag

Think that one can safely surmize that if the Chapter runs its affairs in a condescending fashion, can the state organization really be that far removed? Simply great food for thought! z^

Offline Arbitrator

« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2010, 10:51:41 AM »
 ^flag

Just an update: I happened to be assigned last night to work a pair of subvarsity basketball games by Houston-TASO. The UIL Houston Chapter had contracted 3 officials to work the following Varsity game. 2 of the 3 officials show up to work the game and notify their Assigner of the "no-show" official. They went ahead and reffed the game in 2 man format.

It was no secret that this "no-show" just happened to be a close, personal friend of the Houston UIL Chapter :bOW "El Presidente!" In a previous season, this very same "no-show" was allowed to walk off of the basketball court in a Varsity tournament game without ever having said a word to his co-officials, coaches, administrators, or the Chapter tournament assigner; in essence stranding his fellow game officials. He later said that he did it because the coaches antics were starting to get to him and that he didn't have to put up with it! No action was ever taken against him for his act of cowardice by the Chapter leadership. In fact, he was rewarded with playoff games and was even subsequently assigned by the Chapter leadership to a UIL State Regional Tournament.

Back when I was TASO Houston Basketball President(in another century), an individual who "no-showed" received a monetary fine and forfeited his right to be placed on the playoff roster as provided in the Chapter Constitution and Bylaws. A second occurence, and this individual would have had the balance of his schedule yanked and would be placed on probation for the ensuing basketball season!

All I can say is thank God for the sanity and the ethical fortitude in being represented by an organization like TASO instead of subscribing to the apparent sleeze factor of the UIL Houston and State leadership! So UIL, how's that "increased accountability" in the sports that you now alledgedly preside over exactly working out for you?  z^
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:26:19 PM by arbitrator »

Offline HoustonUmp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2010, 11:40:36 AM »
^flag

Just an update: I happened to be assigned last night to work a pair of subvarsity basketball games by Houston-TASO. The UIL Houston Chapter had contracted 3 officials to work the following Varsity game. 2 of the 3 officials show up to work the game and notify their Assigner of the "no-show" official. They went ahead and reffed the game in 2 man format.

z^

How did the 2 man crew that worked the game do?