Author Topic: UIL or TASO  (Read 198464 times)

tex_ref_28

Re: UIL or TASO
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2009, 10:52:50 AM »
I will be at the meeting on Sunday.  I hope the meeting proves insightful.  I also hope the meeting doesn't become a UIL Bash Party because this would be totally unproductive.  I hope the meeting will give us some insight on what the Football Leadership plans to do.  Face it.  We, who want to call football in 2010 and beyond, will have to register with the UIL.  It's a fact.  However, will our Football Leadership have a plan to work with the UIL in making the 2010 and beyond seasons, "business as usual"?

Elvis (NCAA)

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2009, 12:23:18 PM »
I will be at the meeting on Sunday.  I hope the meeting proves insightful.  I also hope the meeting doesn't become a UIL Bash Party because this would be totally unproductive.  I hope the meeting will give us some insight on what the Football Leadership plans to do.  Face it.  We, who want to call football in 2010 and beyond, will have to register with the UIL.  It's a fact.  However, will our Football Leadership have a plan to work with the UIL in making the 2010 and beyond seasons, "business as usual"?

((()))
You are absolutely correct about not "bashing" the UIL in a meeting with them. Best to just listen. If anyone needs to ask a question, don't precede it with a bunch of war stories or opinionated comment - just ask the direct question. Listen to the answer - don't get into a debate. It will serve no purpose to agitate by being critical or abusive, because they have chosen a path and are not going to change their plan until they absolutely have to. And that reality won't strike them until about August 25, 2010, if TASO folks don't get fooled into following the UIL's path.
Keep the faith.

rickref

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2009, 01:37:24 PM »
Doc I agree completley. I have been high disappointed at both ends of this mess.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2009, 01:46:50 PM »
Hot off the presses:

Below is a message received from TASO today.

The Texas Association of Sports Officials (TASO) today filed a lawsuit against the University Interscholastic League (UIL) to stop the UIL from arbitrarily taking over sports officiating in Texas and imposing an unauthorized tax on sports officials.

The lawsuit, filed in Travis County state district court, seeks a temporary restraining order blocking the UIL from implementing and enforcing rules it adopted on Nov. 6, 2009. The new rules prevent officials from calling sports contests unless they register and pay a $50 "fee" to the UIL.

We filed this lawsuit reluctantly. After it became clear the UIL is dead set on taking over sports officiating and creating a monopoly for itself, it was decided TASO has a responsibility to the Texas officiating community to file this lawsuit.

We will not stand idly by while the UIL threatens to destroy a system that has proudly and effectively served the students athletes, parents, fans and school districts of Texas for more than 75 years.

The key issue in the lawsuit is whether the UIL has the authority to regulate and tax sports officials, who now contract with and are paid directly by independent school districts. Further clouding the issue is the UIL's legal status; is it a private entity or a state administrative agency?

Previous court rulings concluded the UIL is a voluntary, member association of Texas public schools and noted there is nothing in state law that creates the UIL or authorizes the University of Texas to create the UIL.

Although the UIL portrays itself as a non-profit organization, there is no record of the UIL ever filing any organizational documents with the Texas Secretary of State, something all non-profits must do.

The lawsuit also asks the court:

To prevent the UIL from coercing or encouraging any person to register with the UIL instead of TASO as a sports official.

To bar the UIL from collecting any fee or tax from any sports official as a condition for officiating games.

This lawsuit was filed because we are hearing a lot of troubling things about what the UIL is telling our members and we would like the court to determine exactly what power the UIL has.

A copy of the complete press release will be posted in the Members Portal by Monday.

Sincerely,

George Coit
Chairman, TASO Board of Directors
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:48:48 PM by JDM »

Online ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +16/-7
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2009, 02:54:42 PM »
This should have been done long ago.

rickref

« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »
Tyler you ought to have a fun meeting this weekend.

Robert Cameron

« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2009, 07:02:22 PM »
On Monday, I sent the attached "open" letter to Tony Timmons. It is just my opinion of the state of affairs between public school sports officials (TASO and otherwise) and the UIL. Feel feel to share it with others, or dismiss it.

I am glad to see the Houston Chapter take the stand they have taken.

I am glad to see the proactive measure that TASO has taken. I only hope they won't stop on the outskirts of Baghdad, and will get to the root of the problem with the UIL - the official selection process. Yes, do what it takes to stop the UIL takeover attempt. But simply returning to staus quo won't solve anything. End the selections by schools/coaches, get the sub-varsity pay back to simple and fair (as it was in 2007); and work with the UIL to bi-laterally develop an "accountability" system that works both ways. The opprtunity is there, even if the lawsuit goes nowhere. All TASO folks have to do is decline to join the UIL; decline any UIL assignments; and decline to work with any UIL registered officials. When the UIL can't field officials to cover games in 2010-2011, they'll have no choice but to seek help from TASO. Then they'll have to agree to terms and conditions, if TASO has the courage to do what is right for all officials at all levels, in all parts of the state

Have a great holiday season. Best wishes to everyone, and best of luck to all TASO folks.

Farewell.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-256
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2009, 08:37:36 PM »
You need to sit blackandwhite down up there and teach that boy!

txmustang68

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2009, 11:34:53 PM »
TASO has screwed up big time over the years (thanks Ray) and the UIL is tired of it..... TASO screwed up and we officials WILL ADAPT.

I have read a couple posts by you about TASO screwing up.  Give some specific examples.

GameWillTravel

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2009, 09:04:29 AM »
Have you heard that TASO has file a lawsuit toward the UIL ^good

Offline TxGrayhat

• FAN REACTION: +15/-4
  • T.A.S.O
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2009, 09:27:08 AM »
I have read a couple posts by you about TASO screwing up.  Give some specific examples.

I agree please give specifics as a TASO due paying official I have the need to know. If you have more than TASO screwed up.  That maybe true but WHAT did they do ?  If I am expected to vote, or decide to stay or Go how can I or anyone decide unless YOU give your secret information.. Heck the UIL has screwed up too.  Like the Hats they gave the crew calling the Last Years State Championship Game to wear .. LOL  LOL
If you don't see the Football Don't Blow the Whistle!!!

Offline TXMike

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »
Under the heading of things I'd like to see but know I won't....UIL gives crews those hats this year and guys come out wearing TASO hats.

jjseikel

« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »
Under the heading of things I'd like to see but know I won't....UIL gives crews those hats this year and guys come out wearing TASO hats.

:thumbup
Now, that would be great!

Offline TxJim

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2009, 09:45:58 AM »

And the TASO logo be on a regualtion referee uniform cap, not the lousy open back adjustable baseball cap that UIL gives them.
Sportsmanship is contagious - Let's have an epidemic!

Offline Mark Liggett

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
    • Austin Football TASO
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2009, 05:31:16 PM »
Guys it really comes down to the fact. Do we want to call football. I say that we do. Whether it be TASO or UIL, we just all want to call football. TASO has screwed up big time over the years (thanks Ray) and the UIL is tired of it. No matter who wins this thing we all just want to call football. If you pay your dues to UIL, you will call football, and nothing changes. If you pay TASO, you sit at home. What does TASO give us that the UIL wont. Not much frankly. If the UIL wants to go to Federation (I pray they dont) they can and will and TASO cant do a thing about it. Now the pay scale is a concern, but if they cut it, whether you are a TASO guy or not they have the right to do it and just like we are now, you can choose to call football or not. Its really like a rule change, every year they change something. Does TASO have a say about it? NO and they never will. But we accept the rule book as is and we adapt. This is truly another rule change. TASO screwed up and we officials WILL ADAPT. A wise man told me years ago, DON"T EVER THINK YOU CAN'T BE REPLACED. TASO is betting we can't be replaced, but that wise man was correct, WE ALL CAN BE REPLACED AND WILL BE EVENTUALLY. Even you Houston guys. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
  Agree with Doc here,,, If  you don't know Ray you don't know he has worked pretty hard representing you.  In all these posts there's a hint of criticism towards TASO leadership without an appropriate look at the UIL group.  I hardly think the UIL could change up their leadership, institute these kinds of changes, and not be held accountable for their decisions, which is what this action has had to do. 

blackandwhite1

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2009, 12:48:13 AM »
. Heck the UIL has screwed up too.  Like the Hats they gave the crew calling the Last Years State Championship Game to wear .. LOL  LOL

I can't think of one official, who wouldn't give their left nut to say " I got a Finals game and I had to wear this goofy hat". Who cares!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:29:06 PM by blackandwhite1 »

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »
I am going to the meeting in Tyler tomorrow night and I'll make my decision after hearing what Timmons says, and what my chapter leadership has to say.  I will say this right now.  I signed up to referee in Oklahoma in 1995 and I registered with the OSSAA.  They kept track of my points, my ratings, and they made a circuit around the state for annual rules clinics.  They also sent out and required that their officials take both parts of the NF test in each sport.  They graded them and sent our results to us in the mail.  It wasn't that bad.  Of course, assignments were contracted between referees and coaches...solicitation was the name of the game.  I would hate to see Texas go to that type of system--although our draft system works very similarly.

If the UIL ultimately wins their way, a model like the OSSAA system would not be the end of the world.  It would not discourage me from doing this activity which I love.  If this simply is a tax, I will probably protest for a while.  I don't see myself paying $$$ to both.  I already feel like I'm giving to the UIL when I work scrimmages for free.  
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:35:21 AM by blindref757 »

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2009, 11:23:44 AM »
blind, could you post what you hear and don't hear from your meeting tomorrow?

Offline TxGrayhat

• T.A.S.O
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2009, 08:35:01 AM »
I can't think of one official, who wouldn't give their left nut to say " I got a Finals game and I had to wear this goofy hat". Who cares!!!!!!!!

golly gee whiz b/w lighten up. What is your beef with TASO specifically.  Do you any evidence of screw ups or do u just want change hoping or thinking you will get more or better games.

Online ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +16/-7
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2009, 11:32:52 AM »
Any news from the meeting yesterday, or is that secret and by invitation only too?

tex_ref_28

« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »
The meeting wasn't secret.  It was open.  All you had to do is ask to go and you could.

Offline TxGrayhat

• T.A.S.O
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2009, 01:41:24 PM »
I'll be in Tyler too it is my understanding that an invitation was extended to surounding chapters.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2009, 07:18:45 PM »

Offline williebe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2009, 08:24:02 PM »
looks like we have a good ace in the hole. i think now that the gloves are off we need to stick to our guns and stick togather on this one. yes there has been some shortcomings with in taso, but they did their homework in preparing this suit. hats off to you guys.

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2009, 06:29:09 AM »
Last night, the new 1204 was read to Timmons and the loophole that allows schools to use non-UIL referees was pointed out to him.  He jumped around and hollered and screamed that the loophole would not stop his department.  He hinted or laid out a thinly veiled threat that the loophole could go away if it caused his department too much of a problem. 

It is apparent that this loophole is going to create some controversy.  It, along with the pending lawsuit are TASO's only form of life support at this time.  All indications are that most of the chapters across the state are not going to send their top 2-3 representatives to the meeting in the Alamodome next weekend.  This will force the UIL's hand in forming new chapters statewide, thus making Timmons' job a huge challenge.

Many good questions were asked last night.  The UIL plan is not going to be the end of the world and Tony makes a good point about how the professional leagues hire, train, and evaluate their officials within the same organization.  The same system works in most other states and it would work in Texas if the lawsuit was struck down, or if the "organization" were broken by the guys that cross the line.  Tyler has at least 3 guys that will register as "Martians" if that is what they have to do to call football next year.  However, 10 crews can't call 23 ball games in Week 0 next August.  Push is going to come to shove.  Maybe the arbitrator will solve it, maybe the lockout will solve it, or maybe cooler heads will prevail.

I'm more confused than I was this time yesterday.  TASO has not been a good organization since they left Mesquite and moved to Austin.  They need a complete re-birth.  UIL with Mr. Yeller in charge of officials doesn't settle my heartburn either.  Maybe I'll just play more golf and take my boy to more games.