Author Topic: How do you handle this?  (Read 4216 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
How do you handle this?
« on: October 22, 2017, 01:51:12 PM »
The action moves downfield- long run, long pass, it doesn't matter. OL Bubba has taken DL Bubba to the ground (assume legally) and is just laying on top of him.  I usually yell "Get off of him" just to make sure this doesn't turn into a wrestling match, or worse.  Is OL Bubba breaking a rule here?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
How do you handle this?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »
I won’t let him lay there forever. If he refuses to listen to me when i tell him to let the guy up, I’ll encourage him with a USC flag. I’ve never had to do that though. So far, a stern voice has been enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: How do you handle this?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »
Only when "Get off him" fails, or is ignored, NFHS 9-2-1c might just do the trick; "An offensive player SHALL NOT: (1c) Use his hands, arms or legs to hook, lock, clamp, grasp, encircle or hold in an effort to restrain an opponent."

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 05:25:08 PM »
It doesn't say anything about using your torso...  :sTiR:

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 06:10:48 PM »
It doesn't say anything about using your torso...  :sTiR:
It’s still holding. Don’t split hairs with semantics. Seems like I vaguely recall something years ago about this possibly falling under DOG. That might not fly today.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »
It’s still holding. Don’t split hairs with semantics. Seems like I vaguely recall something years ago about this possibly falling under DOG. That might not fly today.

Thus the pot sitrring...

Although, philosophically, throwing a holding foul on action 20 yards behind the ball that's not affecting the play is a bit questionable. If it's serious enough to warrant a flag, it'd have to be a personal foul in my book.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »
IMHO, if after one "GET OFF HIM, NOW!" and the player deciding not to listen, I would be tempted to call an USC under 9-5-1g. This would fall under all-but-one enforcement if holding or PF was called and it doesn't sound like it had any baring on the outcome of the play. USC would be enforced from the succeeding spot, so the play wouldn't be brought back AND big ole' Bubba and his coach would both be informed that he was halfway to being all the way of being out of the game. I would stay away from DOG as that only applies in preventing promptness in putting the ball in play (3-6-2) unless this occurred after the ball was dead (3-6-2g).

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 09:24:13 AM »
It doesn't say anything about using your torso...  :sTiR: /quote]

What part of, " using hands, arms or legs to hook, lock, clamp, grasp, encircle or hold in an effort to restrain an opponent." are you having trouble understanding?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
Maybe the definition of "torso?"

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »
If ,instead of laying on the opponent, Bubba was setting on the opponent could he be flagged for butt-blocking ??

^talk ^talk ^talk  (six-man crew)

Offline CalhounLJ

How do you handle this?
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »
Lol. 🤦‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk