Author Topic: Is the down replayed?  (Read 5451 times)

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
Is the down replayed?
« on: July 20, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
TRUE or FALSE

If there is an inadvertent whistle during a forward pass, but prior to the whistle A commits pass interference, the down is replayed if the penalty is accepted.

If the penalty is accepted, and since the NFHS has eliminated the loss of down provision from OPI penalty enforcement, the down will be replayed after enforcement, making the answer TRUE.

If the penalty is declined the down will be replayed because of the IW rules. 

So it seems that the down will be replayed whether the penalty is accepted or declined. 

Is this a trick question, am I missing something, or do I just say it's TRUE and get on with life?

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
Re: Is the down replayed?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 10:11:31 AM »
Is this a trick question, am I missing something, or do I just say it's TRUE and get on with life?

You've got it. The statement, as written, is true. That's all you can go on. Put your best answer down and get on with life. I've learned to stop fretting over rules test scores. I guess that's because here in Georgia they don't count for much.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:22:38 AM »
 OPI + IW + penalty declined = replay the down.

OPI + IW + penalty accepted = replay the down AFTER  sNiCkErS goes for 15 yard stroll ^flag.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:14:51 AM »
Always wanting to learn a bit more about NFHS and as this is a trick question in NCAA:

- Can you have pass interference if the pass doesn't cross the neutral zone?
- How is the crossing of the NZ defined in NFHS?

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:36:53 AM »

- Can you have pass interference if the pass doesn't cross the neutral zone?
- How is the crossing of the NZ defined in NFHS?

“Pass interference restrictions only apply beyond the neutral zone and only if the legal forward pass, untouched by B in or behind the neutral zone, crosses the neutral zone.”

Excerpt From: NFHS. “2017 NFHS Football Rules Book.” NFHS. iBooks.

I don't know that I've ever seen a definition of what it means to cross the neutral zone.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
I don't know that I've ever seen a definition of what it means to cross the neutral zone.

The trick part in NCAA is that if the IW is blown before anybody touches the pass, the pass has not crossed the NZ by rule so you can't have PI.

Offline zhntr

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »

This?

2 ART. 3 . . . A forward pass has gone beyond the neutral zone if at any time during the pass, the entire ball is beyond the neutral zone.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »
The trick part in NCAA is that if the IW is blown before anybody touches the pass, the pass has not crossed the NZ by rule so you can't have PI.
In NFHS, if the IW occurred prior to the flag for OPI, any foul would be considered a dead ball foul. Dead ball fouls that could occur in this situation are DBPF & USC. If the OPI occurred AFTER the IW, it would only be a foul if deemed a personal foul. Zhntr showed rule support for pass over LOS.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »
In NFHS, if the IW occurred prior to the flag for OPI, any foul would be considered a dead ball foul. Dead ball fouls that could occur in this situation are DBPF & USC. If the OPI occurred AFTER the IW, it would only be a foul if deemed a personal foul. Zhntr showed rule support for pass over LOS.

I actually meant a situation such as this: 1/10 at A-20. QB A12 throws a legal forward pass towards A88 at A-35. Immediately after the pass is thrown B32, who is at A-36, blocks A88, who is at A-35, in front and above the waist, preventing A88 from catching the ball. As the ball passes by B32 and A88 and before it hits the ground BJ blows his whistle. (If you want to make it more interesting, add that B90 catches the ball from the air immediately after the whistle.)

In NCAA there is no forward pass that has crossed the NZ so there is no PI. The contact by B32 is otherwise legal. No foul, repeat the down due to the IW. In NF I think this would be DPI.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 10:05:41 AM »
This?

2 ART. 3 . . . A forward pass has gone beyond the neutral zone if at any time during the pass, the entire ball is beyond the neutral zone.

Thanks zhntr!

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
7-5-7...Pass interference restrictions only apply beyond the neutral zone and only if a legal forward pass, untouched by B in or behind the neutral zone, crosses the neutral zone.

7-5-8...Pass interference restrictions on a legal forward pass begin for:
a. A with the snap
b. B when the ball leaves the passers hand.

With any NFHS question one must regularly make assumptions unless the question specifies differently.
I don't necessarily like it, but unfortunately that's how it is for now.

So,  In this play the reader must assume:
1) This happened during a football game.
2) The clock was running
3) The cheerleaders had Pom Poms
4) This was a legal forward pass that crossed the neutral zone
5) An A player committed an act which meets the requirements of OPI prior to the IW
6) And most importantly, last but not least, Ralph missed the play entirely as he was reviewing the Prom Queens Mother.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:32:29 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
TRUE or FALSE

If there is an inadvertent whistle during a forward pass, but prior to the whistle A commits pass interference, the down is replayed if the penalty is accepted.

If the penalty is accepted, and since the NFHS has eliminated the loss of down provision from OPI penalty enforcement, the down will be replayed after enforcement, making the answer TRUE.

If the penalty is declined the down will be replayed because of the IW rules. 

So it seems that the down will be replayed whether the penalty is accepted or declined. 

I missed the same one for the same reason.  It's sort of a trick question.

I believe the differentiation is between the words "replayed" and "repeated."  The rule says "replayed." 
  • A 2/5, OPI+IW+Accepted=A 2/20, Down is repeated
  • A 2/5, OPI+IW+Declined=A 2/5, Down is replayed
  • A 2/5, DH+IW+Accepted=A 1/10 (situation where it's neither repeated nor replayed)
  • A 2/5, DH+IW+Declined=A 2/5, Down is replayed

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »
Another suggestion would be that the penalty results in a first down, thus the down would not be repeated or replayed.