Author Topic: "Ineligible Reporting as Eligible?!?!"  (Read 5676 times)

RunRickyRun

"Ineligible Reporting as Eligible?!?!"
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:17:20 PM »
I just got home from calling a couple of games for a North Texas high school that uses a different chapter at home.  At one point, the HL (a first year FB official) comes in to tell me that #75 has reported.  My response was, "Reported as what?"  The coach heard my response and came out to tell me that he was told by his normal chapter officials that he had to report anytime he put #75 in the backfield.  I replied that #75 was welcome to line up wherever he chose, and even run the ball, as long as he didn't go downfield or attempt to make a catch on a pass play.

I'm just curious if there is actually a chapter that is telling him this or he is simply misunderstanding their instructions.  The coach was the varsity OC and said that they 'always reported on Friday nights' when they ran this package.  I'm skeptical, but I've also worked with a few officials over the years that might assume that if a player 'reported' it could somehow make him eligible. 

What do you think?  Could the coach actually be correct that a chapter is requiring this?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:20:04 PM by RunRickyRun »

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
Re: "Ineligible Reporting as Eligible?!?!"
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 12:25:26 AM »
I doubt it, but who knows. I'm wondering if the OC is actually on the field or in the box on Fridays.

Chances are they are just asking if 75 can line up in the backfield -- at least normally -- and one guy heard about it and assumed it meant report. Of course, your response was spot on.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 06:06:49 AM »
I just got home from calling a couple of games for a North Texas high school that uses a different chapter at home.  At one point, the HL (a first year FB official) comes in to tell me that #75 has reported.  My response was, "Reported as what?"  The coach heard my response and came out to tell me that he was told by his normal chapter officials that he had to report anytime he put #75 in the backfield.  I replied that #75 was welcome to line up wherever he chose, and even run the ball, as long as he didn't go downfield or attempt to make a catch on a pass play.

I'm just curious if there is actually a chapter that is telling him this or he is simply misunderstanding their instructions.  The coach was the varsity OC and said that they 'always reported on Friday nights' when they ran this package.  I'm skeptical, but I've also worked with a few officials over the years that might assume that if a player 'reported' it could somehow make him eligible. 

What do you think?  Could the coach actually be correct that a chapter is requiring this?

^flag

Lest we should all remember that good ol' No. 75 can also catch a backward pass without repercussion!   z^

RunRickyRun

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 08:08:04 AM »
^flag

Lest we should all remember that good ol' No. 75 can also catch a backward pass without repercussion!   z^
You are correct however, by rule, that is not considered a pass play.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 08:12:34 AM »
You are correct however, by rule, that is not considered a pass play.

Now that we are nitpicking, there is no such thing as a pass play :)

There is a forward pass play.

RunRickyRun

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 08:32:42 AM »
I doubt it, but who knows. I'm wondering if the OC is actually on the field or in the box on Fridays.

Chances are they are just asking if 75 can line up in the backfield -- at least normally -- and one guy heard about it and assumed it meant report. Of course, your response was spot on.
I would like to think you're correct in your assumption, that would be the most reasonable explanation, but that's not the vibe I got on the field. 

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 10:43:46 AM »
Over the years, I have heard many, many stories from coaches about what the crew did the week before. Unless I can see it on film, I disregard most of what I hear.

Just sayin'
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 01:26:22 PM »
And when the chapter trainer says" the mechanics manual says x y z , but this is how I do it".  What do you expect????pi1eOn

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 08:52:36 PM »
I've had kids come to me and say 'Im reporting as eligible.' I'll tell them, 'I'm reporting you will get a penalty if you catch a pass'

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »
In God we trust, all others send film.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."