Author Topic: Pulling the pile  (Read 1990 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Pulling the pile
« on: October 07, 2017, 08:25:09 AM »
Score is A 39, B 21 under 2 minutes in the game with the clock running and B has no TO's remaining.  1st and goal from the B-5 yard line following an interception return.

Game is getting a bit verbal as it's clear that A can now run out the clock.  A is in "victory formation" with all 11 players in tight when they run a QB sneak pretty clearly intending to put another score on the board.

Center A51 turns his back and starts pulling the pile toward the EZ.  He's partly got the QB (QB and A51 have each others arms interlocked) and nose tackle B59 (he's got B59 by the back inside collar of his shoulder pads while B59 is on his knees with both legs of the QB wrapped up) as he backs into the EZ pulling the pile (he's directly in front of me and I'm backing in to avoid contact). Other A players are pushing the pile from behind at the same time. The QB ends up in the EZ and I've got a flag on the ground.

What foul would you call here?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:26:59 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Pulling the pile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 09:54:20 AM »
By rule, the folks pushing the pile are not a problem.  Discount them.
So what about A51?  Teammates of the ball carrier are not permitted to assist his forward progress by grasping, pulling, or lifting him.  A51 is grasping and pulling the BC.  The biggest question would be how much A51 contributed to the BC’s progress, considering other folks were pushing the pile.  If you could clearly see that A51’s action provided real material assistance in moving the BC forward and not falling to the ground, that would be a foul.

The fact that A51 is grabbing and pulling B59 could be some form of a holding foul, but that would be harder to support than assisting the BC.

Assisting the runner is a very unusual call - almost rare.  In 42 seasons, personally called it once in a JV game many years ago.  BC was breaking through the line, being grasped by several defensive players restricting his progress.  A teammate ahead of the BC turns around, sees the BC being held up by defensive players.  The teammate reaches back, grabs the BC by the face mask and starts pulling him forward.  Pulls him forward by a good 2 yards before he finally falls down.  Would not have advanced more than a half yard without the “assistance” of his teammate.

By your description, this was prabably a good call.  Especially considering team A’s BS attempt to run up the score.

Robert

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Pulling the pile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 12:07:48 PM »
Agree, it is a very rare call. The only time I ever called it was a lower classification game where they literally threw the BC over the goal line from the backfield..  think midget bowling to get the picture!
" I don't make the rules coach!"