Author Topic: AND THE NEW RULES ARE......  (Read 58593 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
AND THE NEW RULES ARE......
« on: February 08, 2019, 11:35:29 AM »
NOT HERE YET .....

SORRY GUYS, I COULDN'T RESIST  :puke:. Have a good weekend, as we enter that void between the NFL and the NFHS press release.  tR:oLl

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: AND THE NEW RULES ARE......
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 11:48:24 AM »
I'm the biggest sucker in the world... I'm thinking all the time, "They are not here yet.." while at the same time, irresistibly moving my mouse pointer closer and closer to the click.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 12:34:16 PM »
 :'(

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 01:14:34 PM »
Good news is the AAF kicks off (not literally though because there are no kickoffs in the league) this weekend

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 10:49:08 AM »
Good news is the AAF kicks off (not literally though because there are no kickoffs in the league) this weekend
While "kickoff" may not be PC, it is probably better than some alternatives : "snap off", "hike off" and certainly "playoff"'

Per chance we should consider other sports that have lived beyond terms that are not literally true ....

Basketball : "top of the key" - the foul lane once resembled a keyhole;
                  " cager" - early BB was often played on a stage with a cage as a safety net to prevent players from falling off.

Baseball : "bullpen" - Bull Durham Cigars used to provide an add behind where pitchers warmed up;
               "on deck & in the hold" - a nautical term first used in Belfast, MAINE.

Football : "gridiron".......well, I'm sure you guys can think of a few more  tiphat:

I don't believe the AAF adopted the 4-point field goal via drop kick, so my TV will be turned to Law And Order reruns.... tR:oLl tR:oLl

Offline the clown

• FAN REACTION: +7/-19
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 12:25:25 PM »
Pebble beach is all I have till pitchers and catchers report.  I have one more Hoop game tonight before playoffs.  I did 15 weeks of football and 12 weeks and counting of basketball.  The golf course is calling and I'm seriously thinking of turning down playoff assignments.... Not quite the right attitude for success when your more interested in then the clock then the game. 
Basketball: "Court"  I told a player the other night that its called a "Court" because there are three judges, two Lawyers, ten defendants and no jury.  If he's found guilty 5 times he's going away...
Golf: Links, club.. Take a club and go on a wild goose chase to earn a cold beer at the end.
Football: Cow pasture.. Andy Griffith said it best in "What it was was football"  I still tell the players during the coin toss that we are going to "Commence an odd man"
Baseball:  PARK.  by far the best name.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 07:53:16 AM »
               "on deck & in the hold" - a nautical term first used in Belfast, MAINE.

I always heard/saw it as "in the hole" instead of "hold". The person next on the ladder to reach the deck, would be sitting in a hole... somebody in the "hold" sounds like he's locked up in the brig.

Offline Regno71

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
  • No matter the field, it is never a home game.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 11:05:46 AM »
Thanks, Regno, for beating me to the post on this  :).  Well, here you have it guys. Some changes you will like and some you will not BUT they are our changes and we need to try to treat them positively. That being said, let the ranting >:( :( :o 8] ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :puke: begin.......

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: (5-man crew)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 11:06:31 AM »
I think all those changes align with NCAA rules.  You guys will soon be using an NCAA book if you keep changing rules. ;D

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 11:12:03 AM »
I quickly scanned through the rules changes and one  really stood out for me and that was a tackle by grabbing the jersey by the name plate is now a personal foul.  I saw tackles like this several times last year and they were often very bad looking with the player being dragged back ackwardly and in  one instance a ball carrier was injured . I couldn’t throw a flag because it wasn’t a true horse collar.  I think this will make the game safer as tacklers learn to avoid this.   ^good

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 11:23:16 AM »
I think all those changes align with NCAA rules.  You guys will soon be using an NCAA book if you keep changing rules. ;D
Don't say that, Jason :(, then I won't have any meeting to go to in January  :) !

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 11:44:15 AM »
I quickly scanned through the rules changes and one  really stood out for me and that was a tackle by grabbing the jersey by the name plate is now a personal foul.  I saw tackles like this several times last year and they were often very bad looking with the player being dragged back ackwardly and in  one instance a ball carrier was injured . I couldn’t throw a flag because it wasn’t a true horse collar.  I think this will make the game safer as tacklers learn to avoid this.   ^good
This, plus adding a foul for tripping the runner were our two safety rule changes. Several "bandage" approaches were proposed regarding kickoffs but not passed. An interesting study was provided by the Ivy League that moved up K's free kick line and increased touchbacks from 20% to +50%. This allowed for an onside kick attempt along with providing the kickoff basics. The "states rights" on replays allows a state to allow replay at any level/period of the season without asking to do an experiment. We should like flagging 5 backs and not 6 linemen, as many have pushed for that for several years. IK & IB are reduced to 10 with the feeling that they were not safety issues. OUR new 40" clock will be a learning curve for many, but I believe we can handle it. 

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 11:58:58 AM »
I think after an adjustment period, we'll be fine with the 40-second clock.  Will just take some getting used to,

I LOVE that we're going to more than 5 in the backfield, rather than less than 7 on the line.  Even though I've been working downfield for years, I've hated seeing the offense have a big Bubba forget to go out, snap with 10, and get flagged for it.  Playing with 10 is its own penalty.

Another year, another jersey issue.  Is what it is.  Not much we can do on the field to enforce the number size anyway; that's a state issue.

I'm neutral on the tripping the runner, though I guess it's consistent for every player now. Don't think I've ever seen a tackle by the nameplate, so that is what it is.

Ralph, has there been discussion of changing DPI to 15 yards or the spot of the foul, whichever is less?  That's the one biggie for me - I hate penalizing a team 15 yards when the pass only goes 5 yards.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:00:56 PM by VALJ »

Offline Derek Teigen

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 12:15:37 PM »
what will the mechanics look like for linesman on this rule change of 5 on the line of scrimmage.  Who will be responsible for counting?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 12:32:06 PM »
what will the mechanics look like for linesman on this rule change of 5 on the line of scrimmage.  Who will be responsible for counting?

Both LOS officials should always be aware of the number of backs.

This will eliminate most "3rd base coach" signals for unbalanced line, etc.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
Good changes.  I like all of them as long as NFHS didn't do anything quirky with their wording just to be different than NCAA.

Offline Derek Teigen

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 12:46:12 PM »
Both LOS officials should always be aware of the number of backs.

This will eliminate most "3rd base coach" signals for unbalanced line, etc.

so as linesmen we will still need to cross signal,  glance at the backfield and quickly add.  If there are more than 6 then it is an illegal formation penalty at the snap because the offense always has the opportunity to correct the formation. 

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 12:47:19 PM »
I think after an adjustment period, we'll be fine with the 40-second clock.  Will just take some getting used to,

I LOVE that we're going to more than 5 in the backfield, rather than less than 7 on the line.  Even though I've been working downfield for years, I've hated seeing the offense have a big Bubba forget to go out, snap with 10, and get flagged for it.  Playing with 10 is its own penalty.

Another year, another jersey issue.  Is what it is.  Not much we can do on the field to enforce the number size anyway; that's a state issue.

I'm neutral on the tripping the runner, though I guess it's consistent for every player now. Don't think I've ever seen a tackle by the nameplate, so that is what it is.

Ralph, has there been discussion of changing DPI to 15 yards or the spot of the foul, whichever is less?  That's the one biggie for me - I hate penalizing a team 15 yards when the pass only goes 5 yards.

I don't believe, VALJ, that making DPI a spot foul if less than 15 has ever been on the final docket. It has been discussed informally before with the following majority opinion :

(1) If a change was made, a spot foul should include fouls beyond 15 also.
(2) Not all catchable passes are caught in high school, with or without DPI.
(3) This would be an exception.
(4) Exceptions aren't popular.

I would like to see an awarded first down reinserted back in the code for intentional DPI. A though could be to add AFD to the intentional (and never called) DPI. That could put the damper on the intentional act when the foul itself would NOT create a new series (goal-to-go situations) . Anyone for that ???

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »
so as linesmen we will still need to cross signal,  glance at the backfield and quickly add.  If there are more than 6 then it is an illegal formation penalty at the snap because the offense always has the opportunity to correct the formation.

If there more than 4 in the backfield

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 01:37:12 PM »
The way the rule change is worded it is still a foul for more than 4 in the backfield.

From the NFHS post link above:  "A change in the definition of a legal scrimmage formation was approved. A legal scrimmage formation now requires at least five offensive players on their line of scrimmage (instead of seven) with no more than four backs. The committee noted that this change will make it easier to identify legal and illegal offensive formations."
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Derek Teigen

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 02:04:29 PM »
thank you Riffraft and NVFOA_UMP.   This is a stupid question but  I glanced through our rules book and I could not find the definition of backfield.  What is 'backfield'?  Is it anybody behind the quarterback no matter where they are on the field?  Because I have seen some receivers line up pretty far from the LOS and would they be considered 'in the backfield'? 

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 02:12:26 PM »
Derek, you might take a look at NFHS 2-32-3.

Offline Regno71

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
  • No matter the field, it is never a home game.
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 02:58:12 PM »
They've released the rules update, in addition to the article linked above.

http://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/football-rules-changes-2019/

Includes 2019 Points of Emphasis:

1 - Proper Procedures for Weather Delays
2 - Expanded Neutral Zone as it Applies to Run or Pass Options
3 - Free-Blocking Zone and Legal Blocking

Offline Derek Teigen

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 03:01:24 PM »
Derek, you might take a look at NFHS 2-32-3.

ok.  thank you. So you are either on the LOS or you are not and if you are not on the LOS you are in the backfield.  So the only way you could legally have 5 men on the line of scrimmage in 11 man football is if you have only 9 men on the field.....am I overthinking this?  What am I missing?