Author Topic: Illegal Block? Video review  (Read 8946 times)

Offline WCFB

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
Illegal Block? Video review
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:11:14 PM »
This was sent out through out state officials association today. I wanted to get some feedback from the group.

@:09 on the 20 yard line is the block in question.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxtoIeZDtZg&feature=channel_video_title

mbyron

Re: Illegal Block? Video review
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:16:39 PM »
What kind of feedback are you looking for? It's a blatant BBW. I don't see this play generating much discussion beyond, "did anyone throw a flag, and if not why not?"

Offline WCFB

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 03:26:46 PM »
Im looking for a ruling on the block. BBW vs a good block. If you stop the video at 9 seconds it looks like the initial contact is above and below the waist at his mid section. Im not sure if the wing official saw the whole play properly as he is looking over his shoulders when the block occurs. In real time from the video i say BBW.

This probably wont get much discussion and the angle is not very good but i just wanted to know what people thought and how they would rule this block.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 05:58:36 PM »
 ^flag

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:15:51 PM »
If you stop the video at 9 seconds it looks like the initial contact is above and below the waist at his mid section.

Only because the camera angle is from directly behind the blocker.  There's probably a foot or more of space between their bodies at that point.

The telling point is the way the blockee fell.  A legal block doesn't cause that "flat on your face" reaction.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 01:34:53 AM »
I agree with Bama's opinion. If you are hit above the waist you usually don't end up face planting. The H or the R should have picked this up. Not sure why H is looking over his shoulder. He should be watching the blocks around the runner at that point. The R would likely have the runner.

Offline WCFB

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 04:28:06 AM »
The telling point is the way the blockee fell.  A legal block doesn't cause that "flat on your face" reaction.

I agree with Bama's opinion. If you are hit above the waist you usually don't end up face planting.

Thanks, this is what i was looking for i just didnt know how to ask for these kinds of comments. I guess you might put it in the philosophy of calling a BBW. Similar to a BIB, player flying forward on to his face vs him falling to the side...

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 01:57:35 PM »
Thanks, this is what i was looking for i just didnt know how to ask for these kinds of comments. I guess you might put it in the philosophy of calling a BBW. Similar to a BIB, player flying forward on to his face vs him falling to the side...
That's right. I feel we call a lot of BIB's that really aren't BIB's.

Offline GoodScout

• FAN REACTION: +9/-9
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »
Matt Sumstein on the Aloha Clinic videos this year suggests a way of visualizing BBW's, using an invisible triangle emanating from the back of the defender. While he says it's possible to have a BBW if someone approaches a defender from outside this triangle, it's less likely to be a BBW. Worth a look (as are all of Matt's videos). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H67Y7GJfXlM

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 12:06:13 AM »
Wow! Big time illegal block below the waist at any level due to the change of possession. 

ECILLJ

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »
This is a definite BBW and I don't care about the angles or where the block supposedly started. The blocker intentionally went low.

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
Matt Sumstein on the Aloha Clinic videos this year suggests a way of visualizing BBW's, using an invisible triangle emanating from the back of the defender. While he says it's possible to have a BBW if someone approaches a defender from outside this triangle, it's less likely to be a BBW. Worth a look (as are all of Matt's videos). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H67Y7GJfXlM

REPLY: You're mixing things up. Matt's visualization of what he called the "cone of approach" (I think) was to be used for determining blocks in the back--not blocks below the waist.
Bob M.

Offline NorCalMike

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 01:45:06 AM »
REPLY: You're mixing things up. Matt's visualization of what he called the "cone of approach" (I think) was to be used for determining blocks in the back--not blocks below the waist.
I think Matt's explanation of BIB is great especially with videos to back up what he was saying. I have been using this information all year.

FredFan7

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 12:29:51 PM »
Illegal block below the wait.   ^flag

The R or near wing should have had this flag.....

Wingman

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 05:24:27 PM »
Official on the near side 30 was looking right in that direction.  ^flag

Roscoe

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 09:50:38 AM »
That's a pretty clear block below the waist to me. As a wing official, that and block in the back are what I took for most commonly on a kickoff near the runner

nolary

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
 ^flag  Illegal.  From the film clip provided.