Author Topic: TASO Hydration Policy  (Read 25195 times)

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
TASO Hydration Policy
« on: August 23, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »
Got this in a chapter e-mail blast today.  I'm sure most have seen it but just sending it along.

Stay hydrated folks!  This ex-Californian is trying not to melt in this heat.   ;)

August 21, 2010

My fellow officials,

These past few weeks we have experienced record breaking temperatures of 100 plus and heat index readings exceeding 110 across the State. This weather trend appears to be statewide. The high temperatures, the use of artificial turf fields, and players going both ways, mandates the need to be vigilant that we are affording the student athletes and officials as well, additional opportunities to hydrate during games, and for athletes to be monitored by coaches and training staff.

For the next three weeks I would like us to call an official's time out approximately midway during each quarter of each game, for all levels of play. For 12 minute quarters approximately at the 6 minute mark 30 seconds either side; for 10 minute quarters at the 5 minute mark; the 8 minute quarters at the 4 minute mark and so forth. These time outs will be standard length and teams be instructed to go to their sidelines. It should be called following the completion of a try, after a field goal, a punt, or a change of team possession.

This policy should be relayed to Coaches during the pregame conference. During the game wing officials should verbalize that the time out may be forthcoming so staff can be preparing. We should also allow training staff to hydrate and attend to players during any extended injury timeout but should not be extended beyond when normal play should be resumed.
At the end of this three week period we will revisit this policy.

A reminder to all of our officials that proper hydration is a day long process. Start drinking fluids early and continue during the day. The fluids you take during the game should be to replenish your water loss Drink plenty and often and be mindful of how you are feeling.

Best of luck to you this week and be safe in your travels.

Bill Fecci
President TASO Football Division

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: TASO Hydration Policy
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 03:38:41 PM »
Did this go out to all TASO members or just chapter leadership?

Offline Welpe

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 03:40:42 PM »
I didn't get an e-mail directly so I'm thinking perhaps just leadership.  It was sent to us from our executive secretary.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:14:39 PM »
Two comments:

1. I think this directive is just common sense, and we do not have to wait for someone to tell us to take these measures.  If it is hot enough, do what you have to do for yourself and the players to stay hydrated.  I have called time outs in varsity games in the past in order to get everyone hydrated without a directive.  It was a good idea to remind everyone that we can do this.

2.  I have a game in a domed stadium with air conditioning on Saturday.  Does the policy still stand?   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Welpe

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:55:58 AM »
As I'm sure most of you did, I got this same e-mail directly from TASO this morning.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »
I know this is being done for safety, but doesn't it seem like we (TASO) are making up our own rules here?  I can see the UIL mandating such things but does TASO have that right?  Does this take away the advantage a well-conditioned, well-hydrated team has over one that is not as prepared?

Not trying to start a fight, but I can see both sides to this.

504coach

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:23:50 PM »
I understand exactly what you are saying TXBJ.  I take it back to the coin toss situation.  If Team A wins the toss and says they want to defend the endzone instead of saying they want the ball I let Team B in theory start off each half with the ball.  A coach has a limited amount of time each week to coach his kids.  Some coaches use a portion of that time to go over coin tossing duties instead of practicing tackling.  We would not re-do a play if a kid that knows how to do a coin toss misses a tackle.  So we should not re-do a coin toss if a kid that knows how to tackle does not do the coin toss correctly.  I guarantee that the team that gets screwed over one time at a coin toss will be given strict instructions on what to do during a coin toss the following week. 
The same thing can be said about hydration.  If a coach has a player that cramps up you can be assured that he will spend more time on proper hydration the next week.  Why punish a team that has already prepared for the heat?  Did this message go out to all coaches.  I question the increase in liability that this email has created.  Now if something happens all a lawyer has to say is why were the players not hydrated according to the mandate.  When in reality the referee could not have known about the policy or both coaches told him not to do it during pregame.

Where does the player safety slippery slope end?  First tint shield, now hydration, then butt padd size, then mandatory concussion reevaluation.  I am not trying to sound heartless, but enough already.  Safety is an issue that needs to be addressed by coaches and administrators not officials.  I have actually turned in UIL reports about 28 minute half times, and not wearing safety pads.  Does the UIL do anything....NOPE.   

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:59:44 PM »
I know this is being done for safety, but doesn't it seem like we (TASO) are making up our own rules here?  I can see the UIL mandating such things but does TASO have that right?  Does this take away the advantage a well-conditioned, well-hydrated team has over one that is not as prepared?

It has been a long standing UIL policy to let officials take a time out for these type of breaks. We have the authority under the rules to take an officials time out, why not use it for a safety concern?

SECTION 3. Timeouts: Starting and Stopping
the Clock
Timeout
ARTICLE 1. a. An official shall signal timeout when the rules provide for
stopping the clock or when a timeout is charged to a team or to the referee.
Other officials should repeat timeout signals. The referee may declare
and charge himself with a discretionary timeout for any contingency not
elsewhere covered by the rules (A.R. 3-3-1-V and VI).
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 01:16:28 PM »
It's not so much that we are taking the TO for the teams, but it's also for us officials to get some fluids.  If they don't want to get water that is fine, but I will take advantage of it for myself.

Frank in FL

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 01:44:52 PM »
Mid period water breaks are mandatory in FL until mid October and may be taken after that if needed at discretion of the referee.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 02:20:43 PM »
It's not so much that we are taking the TO for the teams, but it's also for us officials to get some fluids.  If they don't want to get water that is fine, but I will take advantage of it for myself.

Exactamente!!!  It isn't about being fair or not fair, etc.  It is about safety.  That's the number 1 reason we are out there, so keep them hydrated.  Would you allow the game to continue with an unsafe field or a player with unsafe equipment or if the lights went out?  I hope not.  The breaks should only come after change of possession, including TD's, safeties, etc.  This is just plain common sense.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 06:36:02 PM »
I haven't gotten a TASO e-mail since I don't  know when...

secondeagle

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 07:48:04 PM »
Nor have I. I went to the site and put my email back in and that has been like 3 months and still nothing. Maybe it is the change to new format or something.

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 06:03:04 AM »
I know this is being done for safety, but doesn't it seem like we (TASO) are making up our own rules here?  I can see the UIL mandating such things but does TASO have that right?  Does this take away the advantage a well-conditioned, well-hydrated team has over one that is not as prepared?

In theory, a well conditioned team will still be better coming out of the break.  They will be well conditioned AND hydrated.  The other team will be poorly conditioned and hydrated.  When the RFP whistle blows, there is still a team that has an advantage in the cardiovascular area.  Remember, football is an anaerobic activity!

rickref

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 08:22:27 AM »
You guys missing TASO emails need to contcat the web site admin. Essntially if they ever get a failure for hwatever a reason on your email address their system QUITS sending any emails to you at all. Then you need to contact them to have it reset. I have raised this issue with TASO and to me further shows a reason why we need a new web site and system. Once I had mine reset I started seeing information again.

This is also why it is important to any chapter officer who gets it they need to pass on to their memebrship.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 09:48:25 AM »
You guys missing TASO emails need to contcat the web site admin. Essntially if they ever get a failure for hwatever a reason on your email address their system QUITS sending any emails to you at all. Then you need to contact them to have it reset. I have raised this issue with TASO and to me further shows a reason why we need a new web site and system. Once I had mine reset I started seeing information again.

This is also why it is important to any chapter officer who gets it they need to pass on to their memebrship.

I heard they have a new website but won't roll it out until after all the rules testing is completed on the current one.

rickref

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »
I heard they have a new website but won't roll it out until after all the rules testing is completed on the current one.

Cool.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »
I understand the points many are trying to make.  However, if I'm a coach (perish the thought) of a well-conditioned team that knows how to hydrate and I run a no-huddle, "snap it as soon as they blow the ready" type of offense to wear the other team out, shouldn't I be concerned that the OFFICIALS have decided to give my opponent 4 extra time-outs per game to catch their breath and get some water?

Further, the policy leaves no room for judgment the first 3 weeks.  As TexDoc said, some games are in air-conditioned indoor facilities, but the policy still says you give the extra time-outs for all games.  A front could come in and it might be 70 degrees at game time but we still have to stop it 4 times a game.

As for the time-outs being for us as well as kids, we are grown men that should be smart enough to keep properlyl hydrated.  If a game needs to be stopped for us, we are not in shape to be working it.

We're taking on responsibility that should be placed on the teams and I'm not sure we have the authority to do so.  I'll do it rather than risk the santioning of my crew or chapter but I don't think it is right.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 03:37:59 PM »
 ^flag

So if both head coaches indicate that they do not wish to follow this prescribed hydration procedure, are we, as officials, to just dispense with its administration and go ahead and play football under the normal rules?  Or is this supposed to be mandatory? Notwithstanding support from the Good Folks over at the UIL, I take it that we, at least, do have a firm agreement from the THSCA for using this procedure.  z^

JVG

Re: TASO Hydration Policy - Just sent from the UIL email address
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 04:09:36 PM »
 Sent from - UIL Officials [officials@mail.uil.utexas.edu]

MEMO

TO:      Football Coaches

SUBJECT:   Mandatory Timeouts

DATE:      August 25, 2010

The Texas Association of Sports Officials (TASO) recently sent a memo to football officials mandating a new policy regarding heat related issues.  This memo creates a new rule that is currently not part of the NCAA rules, nor is it a UIL rule.  This policy has been considered in previous years but has been objectionable to coaches, therefore has not become policy.

The UIL Legislative Council must approve changes to policy.  If this policy is important to our schools it should be presented to the UIL Medical Advisory Committee, UIL Athletic Committee and/or to the UIL Legislative Council.

NCAA Football Rules 68 Section 3 regarding timeouts states: “The referee may declare and charge himself with a discretionary timeout for any contingency not elsewhere covered by the rules.”

In the interim, schools may utilize procedures that ensure the protection and safety of student athletes by mutual agreement.  Any other mandatory rule changes or policies are not authorized by the UIL.

Pre-determined, mandatory timeouts during each quarter are not authorized and shall not be utilized unless both schools mutually agree to this provision prior to the contest.

Offline Getting Fat

• FAN REACTION: +5/-6
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 04:22:35 PM »
And now water is controversial

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 04:27:12 PM »
As was pointed out already, we have the authority to order the timeout, without mutual agreement.  This is a knee jerk reaction by UIL (and we know why).  If you want to ask for the mutual agreement beforehand, go for it.  Does anyone seriously think any coach will NOT go along with this???

Also, where is "Rule 68" in the NCAA rulebook?

JVG

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 04:29:39 PM »
I am still looking for rule 68....maybe its in the new football rule manual.

I was just thrilled to post something before you!

Offline mishatx

• Free Agent
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »
I find it interesting TASO can't manage to send me one email but the UIL sent me one at two different email addresses, despite me never giving them contact info.

rickref

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »
WOW the UIL wants to make this a big deal instead of simply saying the easiest thing, ask coaches in pre game if they want to adhere to this. They are making a big deal out of nothing. This is not any different then a televised game or game that requires extended media time outs, guys are gonna get water then.

I do not see how an extra 30 seconds on natural changes of possesion, td/pat transitions etc are gonna be a huge deal.

Unbelievable.  

AND why is the UIL contacting me directly?? They need to communicate through TASO on this period. Then allow one message to trickle down. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:55:24 PM by rickref »