Author Topic: Extending the period  (Read 7072 times)

keystoneref

Extending the period
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:47:27 PM »
Score A21-B21  3rd & 8 on B's35 with 0.27 remaining in the 4th quarter, neither team has any timeouts remaining.  A11 completes a pass to A88 at the B30 and he runs to the B28 where he is tackled 0.16 remaining.  B60 is called for a dead ball personal foul (late hit).  After the penalty is administered and the sticks or set, the clock is started on the ready and time expires before Team A can get their FG team on the field and set.  Untimed down or Overtime?

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: Extending the period
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 02:45:59 PM »
OT.  Foul was not during the last timed down.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 02:56:11 PM »
Agree with Magician, but my question is for the coach. You could not get the FG team on the field with 16 seconds left (I am assuming .16 is :16 seconds).
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:58:36 PM »
I don't think the coach is here, Tom.  ;)

But my guess is he probably thought the clock would start on the snap, not the ready.

Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:26:44 AM »
Period is not extending: ^no The referee was right in starting the clock on the ready. Since the foul was a dead ball foul, by rule the team is not entitled to an untimed down(unless the unfair clock rule is invoke)  

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 01:18:10 PM »
I don't think the coach is here, Tom.  ;)

But my guess is he probably thought the clock would start on the snap, not the ready.

In this situation, it's up to us to make sure  both coaches know what the clock status is.  Each wing official should communicate this to their respective sideline.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »
While I agree that the clock should start on the RFP, I believe rule 3-3-6 is clear that there would be neither an extension of the period nor a carry over to OT due to B's dead ball foul with 16 seconds left in the game.

The rule reads: "If a dead ball foul occurs after time expires for any period, the penalty shall be administered from the succeeding spot unless 8-2-5 applies."

In this play, B's dead ball foul occurred AND THE PENALTY WAS ADMINISTERED with 16 seconds remaining; so it cannot carry over to OT. 

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 02:26:14 PM »
In this situation, it's up to us to make sure  both coaches know what the clock status is.  Each wing official should communicate this to their respective sideline.

If they ask, I would tell them.  But I wouldn't make it a point to tell a coach when the clock will start just becasue something unusual happened.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »
If they ask, I would tell them.  But I wouldn't make it a point to tell a coach when the clock will start just becasue something unusual happened.

A good official will!  It's when something unusual that you should make a point of telling both teams, "OK, after the penalty, we're starting the clock on the ready."

Keeping quiet unless asked is arrogance.  Don't be arrogant, be proactive.   

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 07:58:03 PM »
AB is absolutely correct. The status of the clock is not supposed to be a secret. Let people know what is about to happen with the game clock once you blow the RFP.

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 09:04:27 PM »
Gees guys, take it easy.  Doesn't have anything to do with arrogance nor did anyone say it's a secret.  It's just not something we do.   And we certainly have as good of a relationship with our coaches as anyone, anywhere.

If he ever has questions, we'll always answer him.  But let's suppose the ball is about to be snapped at the 5 yard line.  Certainly not going to run 20-70 yards down the sideline to tell the coach when the clock will start.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 06:17:44 AM »
Gees guys, take it easy.  Doesn't have anything to do with arrogance nor did anyone say it's a secret.  It's just not something we do.   And we certainly have as good of a relationship with our coaches as anyone, anywhere.

If he ever has questions, we'll always answer him.  But let's suppose the ball is about to be snapped at the 5 yard line.  Certainly not going to run 20-70 yards down the sideline to tell the coach when the clock will start.

First, if the ball is going to be snapped at the 5, I'll bet dollars to donuts the coach is going to be at the 25.  Given that the R is going to be at the 15 or so anyway, you're only 10 yards away.

And, yes, only giving the status if asked, particularly in a situation late in the game where getting a team on or off is going to be critical, is either arrogance or ignorance.  I KNOW you're not ignorant.

Make sure both teams know the situation, which includes the clock status.  Anything less is a disservice.

Offline FBUmp

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 10:44:03 AM »
First off, there's really no reason for insults.  Accusing someone of being ignorant or arrogant is not needed.  I am NOT Big John.

Second, if we were to do this, it would NOT be the referee doing it.  He would run well over 100 yards since both head coaches should be notified in the same manner.  We would use the wing officials, which is why I included the low end as 20 yards away.

It is not something we do here.  Since you seem to feel it's necessary, I'm glad the officials in your area do.  Thanks for the discussion.