Author Topic: And the Band Played ON  (Read 1458 times)

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
And the Band Played ON
« on: September 08, 2018, 01:52:41 PM »
Even after 20 years as an official it still amazes me what coaches thinks what rules we chose to ignore on Friday nights

Last night the home team was flagged for a snap infraction, center actually double pumped the football and then took his hands off of the ball, My umpire and I both saw this whistle blare and flags on the ground while moving towards the line of scrimmage to prevent any cheap shots. I kind of think that the defense was caught off guard and just failed to react. 

While I was giving my signal the home coach was yell at me that the visiting band was playing while his team was in the red zone.
After the signal and while we were under a official t/o and it had been a great game up to that point. I was mister nice guy and walked over to him and tried to nicely explain to him that there was nothing I could do about the band.  He yelled back and me said yes it is a high school rule, I tried to explain to him no it was not and that, he then proceeded to tell me that it was horse s*@t that I was not enforcing the rule, but he never finished the word horse s*@t,

Now our High School governing body has a rule that band are not suppose to play when either team is inside the 20's both going in and going out. It is a administrate rule that is not the game officials responsibility  and both our Association and our assigners have made it clear we are not responsibly to enforce this administrate rule and for the most part our crews listing to the assigner and association, how ever we still have rouge crews that enforce a foul on band playing. Good thing about this is these crews are stagnant and do not get post season games, bad thing about this is that we have to face the backlash of the crews enforcing something that they should have left alone

The funny thing about this incident last night is when the RFP was blown the home school band fired up as well now both bands were playing and for about the last 6 minutes of a contest that was in the sportsmanship rule, (visitors were ahead by 35 after half which the clock continues to run) the bands were trying to out do each other on see who could play the loudest       

do or do not there is no try

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: And the Band Played ON
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 01:58:33 PM »
Before the playoffs last year, the state sent a reminder to all officials that we have no jurisdiction over what the bands do.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
Re: And the Band Played ON
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 10:44:05 AM »
maybe a pre-game discussion with the coach - if not already?