Author Topic: Game start  (Read 4385 times)

Offline mantle

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
Game start
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:14:39 PM »
Situation - Team A wins the toss and chooses to receive. Team B will be kicking off from the scoreboard. Just prior to the kickoff, it starts to thunder, lightning and the game is halted. After a lengthy wait the field (grass) is not playable and the game is postponed till the next night. The original officiating crew is unable to make the game the following night, due to a previously scheduled game and also another field must be used due to poor conditions of the original field. So we now have the following:
Another night, another field (grass or turf) and another officiating crew. My question is: Does this game start as a completely new game , with a new coin toss, or do you begin the game with Team A receiving and Team B kicking off from the scoreboard? (assuming you have a scoreboard at one end)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Game start
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:31:29 PM »
We had something very similar to this situation several years ago. We let the coin toss stand. In other wordz, we didn’t toss it again. We went with the decisions already made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chriscwilson

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 07:55:37 AM »
Move forward with original coin toss results.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 08:21:19 AM »
We had something very similar to this situation several years ago. We let the coin toss stand. In other wordz, we didn’t toss it again. We went with the decisions already made.

The coin toss decisions the previous night were made accounting for weather conditions and sun conditions the previous day.

It might be a very windy day, or we might be starting the new game with the sun setting (and in player's eyes) at some point in the game from a certain direction.

If the conditions have not changed substantially, go with the original coin toss. If something is completely different, like it's now snowing with a 40 mph wind, when the previous game was 70 and sunny with no wind,  then do a new coin toss.

Maybe you're playing at a new field where it's facing a different direction. The scoreboard might be somewhere else.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 09:51:29 AM by bbeagle »

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »
The coin toss decisions the previous night were made accounting for weather conditions and sun conditions the previous day.

It might be a very windy day, or we might be starting the new game with the sun setting (and in player's eyes) at some point in the game from a certain direction.

If the conditions have not changed substantially, go with the original coin toss. If something is completely different, like it's now snowing with a 40 mph wind, when the previous game was 70 and sunny with no wind,  then do a new coin toss.

Question- at what point does the decision become final? In our case neither team had taken the field, but let’s say they had. Let’s say kicking team and receiving team had lined up for the opening kick and just before they kicked it we had a big lightening flash, subsequently postponing the game until the next day. Would you offer a new coin toss then? That was our thought process. We came to the conclusion that the coin toss was final once the decision was made.

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »
What if the scoreboard is at the other end of the field on the other field. I.E. west side instead of east. I don’t think I’d flip again but I may ask about choices. Interesting scenario. 

You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 09:40:40 AM »
Exactly. What if the conditions change on the same night between the time the coin toss is done and the kick. We flip it at 6:15 here in MS. We don’t allow them to change their mind if the wind changes between 6:15 and 7:00. Done is done. Same thing here I think.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:56:27 AM »
Exactly. What if the conditions change on the same night between the time the coin toss is done and the kick. We flip it at 6:15 here in MS. We don’t allow them to change their mind if the wind changes between 6:15 and 7:00. Done is done. Same thing here I think.

If your procedure is to do the coin toss 45 minutes early, then of course, you don't let them re-do it. That's part of a regular game.

But if we cancelled the game before the coin toss, and when you resume the game 2 days later, they're on a new field (original field is used for some other event, became waterlogged or unplayable), and with a scoreboard on the opposite side of the field, I'd let them re-choose.

If it's substantially the same, I'd go with the original coin toss.

That's just me. I don't know if there is any rule support either way, as the game has not technically started because the game starts with a kickoff. So it's not a suspended game really.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:05:13 PM by bbeagle »

Offline mantle

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 11:30:10 AM »
Adding to my situation. Are there any rules to support the situation?
Rule book says "The  game officials shall assume authority for the contest, including penalizing unsportsmanlike act, 30 minutes prior to the scheduled game time".
Can subsitute Referee overrule the original Referee?
What if team B coach insists he kickoff?
Just asking

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 12:09:09 PM »
What if Team B has 4 different captains and a different Head Coach as all of the original 5 are attending a Hindu Shinko advancement ceremony in Guatemala?
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »
New day, new conditions = new flip/choices!

Common sense
:!# tiphat:

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »
In baseball's American Legion post-season, if a game is suspended it begins at the point of suspension - even if under 5 innings. A couple of years ago after the lineup cards were exchanged, Thor - the god of lightening - came to visit. When the game was made up the following day we allowed new lineup cards as a couple of original starters were not available at the start. That seemed fair.....would it seem fair to repeat the coin toss ??? ??? ??? ? Where the game hasn't yet started, I would say yes. You might say no. As pre-game protocol, if the coaches wanted to, I would allow. If they wanted to just start playing, I'd allow that ,too. I'm in a happy mood, as the Sox are currently beating the Astros 2-0 in the 1st  :D. I may not be in a happy mood after the 9th  :'(.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 10:07:30 PM »
Team X won the toss on Day 1 and we never got beyond the coin toss when lightening and a desert snow like never before forces the game to be postponed till the next day 5 miles away at another stadium where it is 85 degrees at 2 PM with the sun bright as can be on west end of the field.  If both coaches agree I would allow Team X to remain the winner of the toss but allow them to make new choices.  If they are both happy with the original choices I would allow that too.  If however both coaches do not agree to those terms then I would do a new toss. 

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »
What if Team B has 4 different captains and a different Head Coach as all of the original 5 are attending a Hindu Shinko advancement ceremony in Guatemala?

In that case, the infield Blurns rule is in effect

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
  If they are both happy with the original choices I would allow that too.  If however both coaches do not agree to those terms then I would do a new toss.

Once again, "Common sense" and NFHS 1-1-6:( "The REFEREE has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good sportsmanship, on any situation not specifically state in the rules.  The REFEREE'S decisions are FINAL in all matters pertaining to the game.") provides appropriate guidance.

Your suggestion makes "common sense", and is a simple and direct solution to either option.  All that's needed, to avoid "beating this horse to death"