Author Topic: KCI or jump-ball?  (Read 6008 times)

New Back

KCI or jump-ball?
« on: September 27, 2010, 10:10:03 AM »
Second kick-off of the game, K pooches a kick that goes past the 10 yard requirement in the air, R does not call for a fair catch.  Both R and K attempt to "catch" the kick in mid-air.  K bumps into R  as R recieves the kick.  In our situation, we had nothing as R did recover and was immediately tackled.  However, this brought up the question: What would/should have happened if K had caught the ball in flight or if K had bumped R out of the way in order to recover the kick.  The case book has a comment that makes it a little confusing.  (I don't have it with me today, but I think it is 6.3 (comment))

Thanks

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: KCI or jump-ball?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:15:35 AM »
Second kick-off of the game, K pooches a kick that goes past the 10 yard requirement in the air, R does not call for a fair catch.  Both R and K attempt to "catch" the kick in mid-air.  K bumps into R  as R recieves the kick.  In our situation, we had nothing as R did recover and was immediately tackled.  However, this brought up the question: What would/should have happened if K had caught the ball in flight or if K had bumped R out of the way in order to recover the kick.  The case book has a comment that makes it a little confusing.  (I don't have it with me today, but I think it is 6.3 (comment))

Thanks

K cannot touch a free kick until it goes 10 yards AND touches the ground (either order).  What you have is KCI, and first touching.

LarryW60

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 10:36:53 AM »
What AB Said.

K cannot catch a free kick in the air.  They HAVE to wait until the ball has been grounded.  You'll usually see this mix-up when the kicker was supposed to top the ball so it hits the ground first before bouncing up but instead gets under the ball for a sand wedge shot.  The other K players are assuming the ball was grounded off the tee, so they're going for the catch.

Either that, or they're just clueless. :)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 01:31:54 PM »
It's really important that the official responsible for the kicking team observe every free kick to determine whether, or not, it was "topped" and/or kicked into the ground before bouncing high into the air.  The other officials are likely not going to be able to determine that, and (if the ball had been kicked into the ground) flag the effort by the dowfield K members for KCI.

The observing official would alert the Referee that the kick had been grounded, negating any KCI foul and causing the flag to be waived off.

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
K bumps into R  as R recieves the kick.  In our situation, we had nothing as R did recover and was immediately tackled. 

I disagree.  You had KCI.  You just didn't call it.

R is entitled to an unmolested opportunity to catch the football, whether he signals fair catch or not.

tow

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
Even if there were no R player in the area,KCI. A K player may catch a scrimmage kick in flight if no R in position to catch it,but not a free kick.

Offline WingOfficial

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 04:31:34 PM »
I disagree.  You had KCI.  You just didn't call it.

R is entitled to an unmolested opportunity to catch the football, whether he signals fair catch or not.

Agreed.  We had this last Friday night.  The covering official thought it was a great onside kick, but I had to come across the field and throw the flag for KCI.  Crowd didn't like it, and it probably looked bad, but it was the right call.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:31:56 AM »
It probably goes without saying, but after R touches the ball, K can legally recover even if it hasn't hit the ground.

ppaltice

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 12:37:20 PM »
It probably goes without saying, but after R touches the ball, K can legally recover even if it hasn't hit the ground.

Recover implies a grounded loose ball.  K can catch a kick if R has previously touched it by Rule 6-5-6.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:05:45 PM »
I meant to use the word catch when I said that.  Thanks, paltice - K can legally catch and possess a ball once R has touched it.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 08:07:07 PM »
Recover implies a grounded loose ball.  K can catch a kick if R has previously touched it by Rule 6-5-6.

Since we're talking about a free kick, the rule reference, technically, is 6-1-5 and CB play 6.1.5 Sit A....

ppaltice

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 09:27:53 AM »
Since we're talking about a free kick, the rule reference, technically, is 6-1-5 and CB play 6.1.5 Sit A....

Rule 6-1 and 6-2 do not cover KCI, that is covered in Rule 6-5-6.  Case 6.1.5A does cover R touching a free kick prior to K catching the kick, but the rule that gives K the right to catch the kick after R touches it is 6-5-6.