Author Topic: A question for touchback on free-kicks  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Ozz98

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Do or do not. There is no try
    • Turkish Zebra
A question for touchback on free-kicks
« on: January 29, 2020, 03:59:36 PM »
Hi, I have some simple questions as i'm trying to cover NCAA rules.

Situation 1:
A free-kick by team A directly touches the ground in the endzone of team B (untouched by team B), it's a touchback.

Situation 2:
A free-kick by team A, touches the ground in the playing field (eg. on B-3 yard line) then rolls or bounces to the team B endzone (again untouched by team B), is this a touchback or may the ball be recovered by any player? if it can be recovered, and a team A player recovers the ball, will it be a TD?

situation 3:
A free-kick by team A, is recovered in by a team A player in the team B endzone, while the ball is still in flight. (again untouched by team B) what will be call?

thanks for your answers...

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: A question for touchback on free-kicks
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 04:21:49 PM »
2 is a touchback because the ball is untouched by B and touches the ground in the end zone. What it did before that is irrelevant.

3 is a touchdown because the ball never touched the ground in the end zone and A is in legal possession of the ball in B’s end zone. Be careful here with your terminology though. It’s impossible to recover a ball in flight. If it’s in flight, it is a catch not a recovery. A recovery is securing possession of a ball not in flight.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 06:04:43 PM »
2 is a touchback because the ball is untouched by B and touches the ground in the end zone. What it did before that is irrelevant.

3 is a touchdown because the ball never touched the ground in the end zone and A is in legal possession of the ball in B’s end zone. Be careful here with your terminology though. It’s impossible to recover a ball in flight. If it’s in flight, it is a catch not a recovery. A recovery is securing possession of a ball not in flight.

You also have one hell of a kicker and/or extremely fast cover guys to get a ball that high long enough for a kicking team member to get down there and catch it in the air. I guess it's more possible if a team is kicking from the plus side of the field after a penalty enforcement or two. It's still good to know and understand that scenario as it helps you better remember the rule.

Offline Ozz98

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Do or do not. There is no try
    • Turkish Zebra
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 05:32:10 AM »

Thank you for your answer and waning about the terminology. Yes for the second situation, it's a catch not recovery.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 06:52:23 AM »
Thank you for your answer and waning about the terminology. Yes for the second situation, it's a catch not recovery.

Uh, in your second scenario, you don’t make it clear that the legally kicked ball, untouched by B, touches the ground in the end zone, but that is the implication. As others have said, in that case, the result of the down is an instant touchback, and any subsequent possession of the ball is moot - the ball is already dead.

In your third scenario, as others have explained, the legally kicked ball is still in flight when it comes into player possession (either team), so that is a catch.  Alive if caught by B, dead if caught by A.  Touchdown, if caught by A in B’s end zone.  Get video.🙂

One other possibility is when the legally free kicked ball bounces in the field of play and, before touching the ground in the end zone, is recovered in the end zone.  Alive if recovered by B; dead and a touchdown if recovered by A. I’ve seen both of these outcomes.  But I don’t have video.😁

Robert

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 08:13:43 AM »
Even though Situation #3 seems far fetched, it could occur.   I have seen teams catch a free kick in the air several times.   I have also on one occasion had the free kick from B's 15 yard line.  In this case they did a standard onside kick but they could have just as well tried a pouch to a fast player.

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 08:55:18 AM »
I don't think I saw this mentioned.

Situation #3.  Only a TD for A catching in end zone if no team B player is in possession to catch the kick themselves.  B has the right to catch the kick in flight (or if struck immediately into the ground).

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 08:56:02 AM »
Just remember for scenario #3, you could potentially have KCI if team B was in position to catch it.  B 1/10 @ B40 after awarding a touchback.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 09:32:50 AM »
I want to see video of 3.  :)

Offline centexsports

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 04:45:55 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTojbIT8zCk

Interesting, but not directly related to this discussion.  This has nothing to do with B's end zone, which is what Ozz98 was interested in.

Offline centexsports

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 08:17:21 PM »
Elvis, it is obvious that you have massive rules knowledge and time to share it with eloquent and long posts.  Now for one minute, close your left eye and imagine that the ball was being kicked from the B 15.
Touchdown

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 12:57:44 PM »
Elvis, it is obvious that you have massive rules knowledge and time to share it with eloquent and long posts.  Now for one minute, close your left eye and imagine that the ball was being kicked from the B 15.
Touchdown

Look me up at the State meeting - I’m not hard to find.  We’ll have a drink (Coca Cola for me).
Robert

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 10:03:51 PM »
Touchdown

And how often have you seen a free kick from the B15? That was the point of his post. The likelihood of A being able to catch a free kick in B's end zone is extremely unlikely because of the combination of things that would have to happen.