Author Topic: Almost Had THE Play  (Read 2454 times)

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Almost Had THE Play
« on: August 26, 2017, 07:52:51 AM »
We had a 7-7 tie with 25 seconds left in the game. B called TO and had one remaining. A was facing 3rd and 8 from their own 15. During the TO, the HL told me that B's coach intended to fair catch the punt and attempt a free kick!  A threw deep on 3rd down and B intercepted, so there was no punt, no fair catch, and no free kick.

Still had a great opener.  14-13 in OT.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
Re: Almost Had THE Play
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 12:49:07 PM »
You were closer to having THE play than most of us have ever been or are ever likely to be.  So close, yet so far away!

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 07:31:54 PM »
A reminder caution.  After a Fair Catch, a has the option to start play with a snap, or free kick.  Should A choose a snap, and run a play in which B fouls (live ball) A retains the option to put the ball in play, after enforcement of the penalty, by either free kick or snap, from the succeeding spot which might well be a lot more attractive for trying a Field goal.

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
5 or 6 years ago a playoff game.  Last 20 seconds or so of first half.  4th and long on about their own 15.  B calls timeout after the 3rd down stop.  Coach is having his conference on the field screaming at his guys, putting them in position telling them to fair catch.  I look at the coach and say, "so you're gonna fair catch."  He yells, "You betcha, everyone of these suckers is gonna fair catch and then we're gonna kick."  I smile and think here we go.  As A's coach breaks the huddle last thing he tells his kicker, smiles and calmly says, "remember, just kick it out of bounds."

"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 09:40:12 PM »
5 or 6 years ago a playoff game.  Last 20 seconds or so of first half.  4th and long on about their own 15.  B calls timeout after the 3rd down stop.  Coach is having his conference on the field screaming at his guys, putting them in position telling them to fair catch.  I look at the coach and say, "so you're gonna fair catch."  He yells, "You betcha, everyone of these suckers is gonna fair catch and then we're gonna kick."  I smile and think here we go.  As A's coach breaks the huddle last thing he tells his kicker, smiles and calmly says, "remember, just kick it out of bounds."

+1 to A's coach, whoever he might be.

Offline J12

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 07:58:39 AM »
As a fan, I got as far as seeing a team actually declare for the fair catch kick and actually line up to do so.  This was at the end of the first half.  But then they had second thoughts -- it would have been a 60 yard attempt -- and changed their mind.  They took the delay of game penalty and then sent the offense out and ran a scrimmage play to end the half. 

Before the fair catch -- with A punting from their own goal line -- I was yelling from the stands for B to fair catch it.  And, of course, the people sitting near me where looking at me strange wondering why someone would be rooting for a fair catch.  Then they saw -- well, they almost saw.