Author Topic: Umpire Mechanics  (Read 4276 times)

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Umpire Mechanics
« on: November 14, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »
It seems that, this year, I've observed more NCAA umpires holding their positions on pass plays - rather than stepping toward the LOS.

Has the mechanic changed?  Does this have anything to do with the increased number of "up-tempo" and "no huddle" offenses?

(I've also seen more U's get run over this year than ever before)! 

Offline ckref

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
Re: Umpire Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 02:03:29 PM »
The rule change last year for ineligibles downfield made the U's stay back some.  The H & L are typically now responsible for passer beyond the LOS.  Stepping up usually gets the U out of the way vs. staying back.

Offline With_Two_Flakes

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • British American Football Referees Association
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 04:03:01 PM »
You should still see U move up when the ball is snapped close to Goal Line, since the wings have to get to the pylons and can no longer rule on passer past the NZ etc.
Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 04:31:46 PM »
The H & L are typically now responsible for passer beyond the LOS. 

Next year, when the U is in the offensive backfield, the H & L will have total responsibility for this.

You heard it here first ..... or second.

cougar729

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 05:30:26 PM »
I also beleive the U will be moving back next year, we worked that in some scrimmages this spring.

However if both wings have LOS responsibility, will the H not be dropping into the belt?

Offline allen

• FAN REACTION: +6/-4
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
It seems that, this year, I've observed more NCAA umpires holding their positions on pass plays - rather than stepping toward the LOS.

Has the mechanic changed?  Does this have anything to do with the increased number of "up-tempo" and "no huddle" offenses?

(I've also seen more U's get run over this year than ever before)! 

At the West Texas officials camp in El Paso this year, we were told by most of the active umpires NOT to move forward on a pass play unless it was more convenient to do so to get out of the drag route paths.

They also had us 8-10 yards back instead of 5-7.

Most of the retired officials still insisted that we should move forward and stay 5-7 pre-snap.  Pretty sure the new mechanics are 8-10 and not moving so much.