Author Topic: From the mouths of coaches: 2015  (Read 21104 times)

Offline Blackandwhite

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
From the mouths of coaches: 2015
« on: May 26, 2015, 07:12:57 AM »
(Season in Europe starts in spring)

Coach: Could we deflate the game ball a little bit?
LM: Sorry coach, we are not in .....    ;D

Offline Blackandwhite

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
Re: From the mouths of coaches: 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 03:23:02 AM »
A classic one on last saturday:

Call: illegal formation (and also added with "too many in the backfield" over the mic)
HC: Which number?

cRaZy
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:44:06 PM by Blackandwhite »

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »
Yeah that a couple of times myself. My answer "well it wasn't the QB"
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »
A classic one on last saturday:

Call: illegal formation (and also added with "to many in the backfield" over the mic)
HC: Which number?

cRaZy

Along those lines, had this in a youth game (11/12 yr olds) this weekend.

First play of the game. Two wideouts on my side obviously off the ball. Two running backs and a quarterback. So fairly easy call. I'm on the visitor sideline, and they see it immediately and want the flag out "That's an illegal formation! That's an illegal formation!" I tell the excited coaches it's not till the snap.

So they snap it, I toss the flag, they gain about 30 yds, the visitor coaches are all happy knowing it's coming back...and the home coach across the way is livid. I know him from previous dealings as he's a league asst director.

Coach: (after angrily charging 10 yds onto the field) "<my name> WHAT"S THE PENALTY? WHAT'S WRONG??"

Me: (considering telling him to get back, but since I knew him and there's no wing over there - 3 man - I just yell back) "Mike, illegal formation, both the wide guys were way back off the line"

Coach Mike: SO WHAT?

Me: Well, 2 receivers, 2 running backs, and the quarterback - that's 5 in the backfield

Coach Mike: WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT???

Me: <blink, blink> You can't do that.

The entire sideline behind me is just laughing at him and half the crowd is too. They line up for the next play in the exact same formation and he angrily calls timeout to fix it.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 10:10:01 AM »
I love that question.

"Coach, one of the five guys that wasn't on the line of scrimmage is the one who lined up wrong. Can't tell you more than that."

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 11:02:29 AM »
I've had them ask "what number" for 5 men in the back field as well. The horse's geranium in me always wants to say, "The quarterback."

In an 8 man game(5 on the line) a few years ago, one of the 5 stepped back and went into motion. I flagged it, told coach 4 in the back field, and he was confused, but ok. They lined up and did it again, flagged, coach wanted to know who was off the line. I told him the two rbs, the qb, and the wideout when he went into motion. He tells me that the wr can go into motion. I agree with him, but with the qualifier that someone else has to shift to the los before said motion occurs. Then comes the classic, "Well we've been running this play all year and it hasn't been flagged...."

Offline Wingmanbp

• FAN REACTION: +5/-7
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 07:50:46 AM »
Freshman/ JV2 game, A 1st/10 @B20 A11 throws a forward screen pass to my side (H) to A21 who then takes three steps back and passes the ball down field. I throw my flag and the coach says what is that for? I tell him its an illegal forward pass. Then he says he was behind the LOS. Then I say no you cant have two forward passes on the same play. He then says you can if he is behind the LOS. And then I inform him that is not true. First pass has to be backwards. He just turned away! I mean that is Football 101 or at least I thought it was. lol

Offline VALJ

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 12:19:45 PM »
Wingman, until a couple of years ago, he would have been correct.  I don't remember what year the Fed changed that, but I want to say it was within the last 5 years.

Offline Wingmanbp

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 12:37:42 PM »
This was in Texas Sorry I should have clarified. NCAA rules

Offline VALJ

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 12:44:22 PM »
Ah.. Never mind.   tiphat:

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »
The Federation rule was worse than that. You could throw multiple forward passes as long as each was thrown from behind the LOS.

Offline UmpSC

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 10:04:28 AM »
After a Holding call on A55 (the center), the coach asks:  Who was holding?

Number 55, Coach.

No way.  He doesn't block on that play. 

hEaDbAnG

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 10:21:32 AM »
Not from the coach, but a player after a free kick to his team.

R is called for blocking in the back.
R coach: what number?
me: 44 coach
Coach: Bobby, you cost us 10 yards!
44: Coach, it wasn't me, I didn't even hit anyone.
Coach: You didn't hit anyone?
44: No Sir
Coach: ....   hEaDbAnG

Offline Wingmanbp

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 07:40:43 AM »
Texas Varsity game last night. NCAA rules
4th down Punter gets hit as he is punting the ball. Flag is thrown by R for roughing. Head coach on my side is screaming at me" Did the ball go over the LOS" I said yes it did why does that matter? He said if it doesnt cross the LOS then its not a kick and therefore we cant rough the kicker. I said Uh no he is still a kicker if he lines up in a kicking formation. They continued to argue with me. OMG. We ended up picking up the flag because the ball actually hit the shoulder of the first team B player that hit the punter but the R couldnt see it. The LJ did

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »
he is still a kicker if he lines up in a kicking formation.

Uh... he's a kicker when he kicks the ball. Lining up in a scrimmage kick formation does not make any player a kicker.

Offline Wingmanbp

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »
Wrong wording. It was early and I got in late last night lol

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 04:26:37 PM »
It was early and I got in late last night
No coffee or too many adult beverages?  nAnA
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Wingmanbp

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 06:28:54 AM »
Late ball game. I wish I could use the excuse of too many beverages lol

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
JV game Saturday. In pregame with coach we ask if all players are legally equipped followed by any casts or braces we need to look at. Coach says no, they are all good. Ten minutes later we call for the captains, out comes 30 with a cast. I looked at it and it was padded correctly and told 30 his HC said no one had any casts. He told me he has had it for 2 weeks.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

ECILLJ

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 01:14:19 PM »
Late hit OOB by B near the 20 yd. line on A's side of the field.

Coach of B, "How does my player know he's OOB if he doesn't hear a whistle? You've got to blow those whistles, someone's going to get hurt."

Offline VALJ

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 10:06:05 AM »
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard "they broke the huddle with twelve" this year...

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 12:42:25 PM »
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard "they broke the huddle with twelve" this year...

I just had to explain to a coach last night about this. He then proceeded to argue with me about that the player then lined up before running off. I never say the player line up, but then again coach was also losing 23-0 in 4th and looking for any excuse to get back into the game.

Related note, I can't believe how many more coaches this year are counting players on the opposing team but can't seem to get enough of their own players out. On related note of coaches pestering, I've had a number of Assistant coaches with stop watches timing the play clock. I don't know why I'm counting or keeping track anymore I'll just go ask the assistant coaches next time I'm unsure...

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 02:36:09 PM »
I've had a number of Assistant coaches with stop watches timing the play clock. I don't know why I'm counting or keeping track anymore I'll just go ask the assistant coaches next time I'm unsure...
That would be one way to get the assistants off your back... put 'em in the press box to work the clock.  hEaDbAnG
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 04:11:20 PM »
10th Grade game and the coach was timing the Play Clock.  I just told him to put it away and I didn't want to hear about it again. 
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 05:05:46 PM »
A25 gets hit pretty good on the play and off comes his helmet. I check to see he's okay and send him to the sideline. A calls time out. Time out ends and here comes 25 back on the field. I send him off back off the field. The school's cameraman tells me that he can go back on the field after a time out. He says it has always been that way.