Author Topic: 2 plays  (Read 2737 times)

Ref13

2 plays
« on: November 06, 2015, 07:12:03 AM »
I know this seems easy, but enough people telling you you're wrong you start to doubt yourself:

1.  Scrimmage kick, invalid fair catch signal by R38.  R38 catches the kick then advances the ball.  Delay of game.  Both fouls will be enforced, correct?  One is live one is dead. 

2.  Free kick.  During the kick R55 blocks in the back.  During the return, K22 tackles runner R44 by the facemask.  Penalties offset and re-kick, correct?

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: 2 plays
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:18:44 AM »
1.  Scrimmage kick, invalid fair catch signal by R38.  R38 catches the kick then advances the ball.  Delay of game.  Both fouls will be enforced, correct?  One is live one is dead. 
Correct.  But it would have to be egregious before I would expect a DOG call.  The official should be on his whistle as soon as the catch is made.  If the kid stops in a reasonable amount of time, leave the DOG alone, there was no real harm.  And if the official didn't blow the whistle and kill the play after the catch, I really wouldn't throw a DOG flag.  You're expecting the kid to know the rules when the official didn't!

2.  Free kick.  During the kick R55 blocks in the back.  During the return, K22 tackles runner R44 by the facemask.  Penalties offset and re-kick, correct?
Correct.  If this were a scrimmage kick, R could keep the ball by declining K's foul and having PSK enforcement for the BIB foul.  But on a free kick, that option doesn't exist.  R didn't get the ball with clean hands, so all fouls "count", and they must be offset and the down replayed.

Jim D

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 08:00:04 AM »
We've had play 1 a number of times over the years and we've never had a delay call.  R gives an invalid signal, catches the ball and the whistle(s) stop the play as soon as the catch is made.  When the whistles sound, the runner stops within a yard or two and a delay of game should never be called for that.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »
Agree with AB & Jim. IMHO, if the receiver gave an invalid signal followed by running with the ball, he may not have intended to give the signal to start with.

An invalid FC signal  ^flag lead me to a PSK screw  :o up once. I'll share it with you guys in hopes it won't also happen to you.....

(1) R1 signaled for fair catch @ 50 by waving both hands ^flag;
             (2) R1 then backs off, Kick hits @ K's 49 and bounces back to K's 45 & rolls dead;           
             (3) I instruct U sNiCkErS to enforce from K's 45 (end of kick), he does sNiCkErS;
             (4) Half way thru the next series, I realized :o that while K's 45 was the basic spot,
                  ABO should have applied;
             (5) I kept that secret to myself...

...until our post game review & U sNiCkErS had already bought the first round as
   he had mistakenly spotted the ball @ midfield after an OOB kickoff sNiCkErS....I then bought the second round...everyone was deadhorse: still thirsty :D

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:43:50 AM by Ralph Damren »