Author Topic: 2" Stripes approved for NFHS use?  (Read 21891 times)

CruiseMan

2" Stripes approved for NFHS use?
« on: March 19, 2014, 06:57:44 PM »
Paul Lukas, who runs a popular internet site called UniWatch and is also an occasional columnist on ESPN, posted the following on his site today...

"The National Federation of High Schools has approved the use of wider zebra stripes for high school football officials. The current shirt can still be worn for 2014 and ’15, as long as everyone on a given crew is wearing the same stripes. All officials must switch to the wider stripes by 2016" 

Though no link was provided to an official announcement, he posted in the comments section that his source was: "Source: Email that was sent from NFHS to a ref who then forwarded it to me. " 

Does anyone have official confirmation of this?  Also curious if position placards are included in this change?

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: 2" Stripes approved for NFHS use?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:16:51 PM »
I know through a friend that Oregon posted it for officials on their state website.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »
And the Evil Empire strikes again.  Somehow I picture Dick Honig in a Darth Vader helmet, but the Rick Moranis version.

So now what will the NCAA switch to, polka dots?

I admit, I was wrong about the black pants but there is no need to change shirts, save to pad the pockets of the collusive #%€£¥$&@ who push this and sign off on it.

>:D >:( hEaDbAnG nAnA pi1eOn

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:20:12 PM »
I don't know that this "news" is really news. I know of at least one state that approved the use of 2" stripes in 2013 provided the crew all dressed alike, with mandatory use of 2" being phased in this year or next. Oh, and placards ARE NOT a part of this mix.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 10:21:51 PM by Rulesman »
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline COLOUMP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 01:18:32 AM »
Colorado is moving to a 2-1/4" stripe. I guess bigger is better. pi1eOn

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 08:52:41 AM »
We just had to buy new 1 1/2" custom shirts in Virginia.  Darn it!

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:55:21 AM »
So much for uniform shirts being.... UNIFORM!  cRaZy
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:45:06 AM »
And the Evil Empire strikes again.  Somehow I picture Dick Honig in a Darth Vader helmet, but the Rick Moranis version.

So now what will the NCAA switch to, polka dots?

I admit, I was wrong about the black pants but there is no need to change shirts, save to pad the pockets of the collusive #%€£¥$&@ who push this and sign off on it.

>:D >:( hEaDbAnG nAnA pi1eOn

The wider stripes will improve the ability to see sideline field officials from the press box (timers), especially in front of the team box areas, which has become noticeably more difficult with the use of the black trousers.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 06:55:32 PM »
The wider stripes will improve the ability to see sideline field officials from the press box (timers), especially in front of the team box areas, which has become noticeably more difficult with the use of the black trousers.
While I believe you are correct, why not just go to these and solve that problem:

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 07:37:08 AM »
Because somewhere in this country is a high school team who looks at the Oregon Ducks uniforms and says "Pshaw.  We can be brighter."

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »
Paul Lukas, who runs a popular internet site called UniWatch and is also an occasional columnist on ESPN, posted the following on his site today...

"The National Federation of High Schools has approved the use of wider zebra stripes for high school football officials. The current shirt can still be worn for 2014 and ’15, as long as everyone on a given crew is wearing the same stripes. All officials must switch to the wider stripes by 2016" 

Though no link was provided to an official announcement, he posted in the comments section that his source was: "Source: Email that was sent from NFHS to a ref who then forwarded it to me. " 

Does anyone have official confirmation of this?  Also curious if position placards are included in this change?

So is the NFHS mandating that the 1" stripe be phased out by ALL states by 2016?  Or will they just be giving states the option of wearing them?

Offline OkieZebra

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 02:23:26 PM »
While I believe you are correct, why not just go to these and solve that problem:

When I was in Intramurals we did that for a season.

I think it was a research project over whether they got less disrespect in the neon than the stripes. I think the grad student theorized that arguing with stripes was expected to an extent. I think the data showed a statistically insignificant increase in unsportsmanlike conduct.

Offline twref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2014, 12:25:44 PM »
If you can't see someone in a 1' striped shirt waving his arms over his head, it's time to either purchase glasses or retire. ^no

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2014, 03:30:13 PM »
If you can't see someone in a 1' striped shirt waving his arms over his head, it's time to either purchase glasses or retire. ^no 

The problem is that not all signals involve waving the arms over the head, and people in the team areas seem to be getting taller and taller ^no

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 07:07:17 PM »
The problem is that not all signals involve waving the arms over the head, and people in the team areas seem to be getting taller and

Hence why most of the crew echoes the signal.

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »

This is what the concession people wear!! pi1eOn
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:31:10 PM by bkdow »
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

BenG

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 08:42:12 AM »
Colorado is moving to a 2-1/4" stripe. I guess bigger is better. pi1eOn

My thoughts exactly!

This is either a:
  • My stripes are bigger than yours (aka willy waving)
Or
  • A cunning plan to hide obesity ("I'm getting thinner - my shirt's now only 8 stripes wide instead of 16!")

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 03:26:53 PM »
•A cunning plan to hide obesity

I've looked at various game photos of myself from some of the freelance photographer websites.  Whoever said stripes are slimming is a #@&% liar. :-[

Offline COLOUMP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »
One of the reasons for the super stripes is so that everyone at the game will know we are Colorado Zebras. Another clue that we are Colorado Zebras is that we will be on Colorado fields. It would be best, as someone else pointed out, if the NFHS would make our uniforms uniform.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 12:31:07 AM »
I was watching some film of college game yesterday and it looks to me that the wider stripes are easier to see against the white shirts of the team.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »

Whoever Joe Schmeltzer is?
http://www.uni-watch.com/2014/03/19/umass-hoops-used-to-go-untucked/
The National Federation of High Schools has approved the use of wider zebra stripes for high school football officials. The current shirt can still be worn for 2014 and ’15, as long as everyone on a given crew is wearing the same stripes. All officials must switch to the wider stripes by 2016 (big thanks to Joe Schmeltzer). …

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 07:30:45 PM »
I don't know that this "news" is really news. I know of at least one state that approved the use of 2" stripes in 2013 provided the crew all dressed alike, with mandatory use of 2" being phased in this year or next. Oh, and placards ARE NOT a part of this mix.

You're correct that a few states are already wearing wider stripes.

But the possibility of it being mandated by 2016 is most definitely news.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 08:20:08 AM »
The Manual Committee is allowing stripes up to 2 1/4" to be acceptable BUT NEVER  MANDATORY. It would become each state's association to decide if or when to address this. IMHO, with the added expense of purchasing 3 shirts (each official currently has short sleeve, long sleeve & long sleeve lined) this should be a decision made by the rank-and-file at our annual meeting in October. Ben Franklin - being a wise ole' sort - when considering a decision, would draw a line down the middle of a paper placing all the + positive + factors on one side and all - negative - factors on the other. ???  MY opinion : +++ = (1) wider stripes makes a wide mammal look smaller; (2) can see ya' better on TV ; (3) makes you look like the NCAA/NFL boys.  --- = (1) wider stripes make a short mammal look shorter; (2) reruns of The Rifleman - my favorite show as a kid - are seen more often in Maine than H>S. Football; (3) many of us are more interested in being a good high school official than looking like the big ones; (4) 3 NEW SHIRTS = $150 = 15 less combo pizzas at your favorite spot. There are probably many more +s & -s that you guys can come up with.....and ,oh yes, these icons should be updated to show our spiffy new polecat britches!!!! :) ^flag ^good ^no ^talk ^TD yEs:

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 02:02:08 PM »
3 shirts, Ralph??!!

Let's see- SS x2, SS mini-micro mesh (gets hot & muggy down south you know) x2, LS 1 regular for cool weather, 1 XXL to layer up under for cold weather, and 1 lined for crappy weather so I am at 5.  Add in my Throwback/Old School mesh I drag out annually for that one Saturday afternoon pre-season scrimmage, I'm up to 6.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2014, 03:43:13 PM »
Come on guys!  The equivalent of two or three game fees per year* is small enough price to pay to look NFL/NCAA "cool"!  Some of us would probably just otherwise waste the money on officiating camps,  instructional videos, gas, etc.

* This year it is 2" striped shirts,  last few years it was NFL pants.  Can puce and chartreuse striped socks be far behind?