Author Topic: Pre-Game Conference  (Read 4829 times)

Offline HLTN

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Pre-Game Conference
« on: July 25, 2017, 02:03:54 AM »
I'm in my third year as a full time R.  I have a pretty good pregame that covers almost everything.  But, as we all know, there are some nights we may arrive at the game site a little later than expected.  In order to plan for these, I would like to prepare a shortened version.  But, I am having a bit of trouble cutting things out. 
I would like some opinions of some topics that MUST be covered.
Thanks in advance.

Offline ref4e

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • An outstanding official usually doesn't stand out
Re: Pre-Game Conference
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:22:30 AM »
IMO, you must keep a detailed coverage of free and scrimmage kick responsibilities in your shortened version.   

If anything can go wrong in a game, it will generally do so on a kick play.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:03:25 PM »
Agree with ref - if you have to shorten it, there's probably less of a need to talk about running plays or passing plays.  Also, the last thing we talk about before we take the field every week is force.  If the ball ends up in either end zone - how did it get there, who recovered, and what is the result of the play.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 02:39:31 PM »
IMHO : "Let ME worry about the rules and US worry about the coverage...." .

As we hurriedly discus positions/coverage , "what if"  questions will pop-up and can be quickly answered. Is it as good as a full pre-game - NO - but it's much better than : " >:( you guys know what to do, now don't screw it up  >:( ".

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 03:45:24 PM »
It's ALWAYS a good idea, but especially when you haven't had the opportunity to discuss things as much as you'd like, to remind everyone, If something (anything) happens that confuses you, don't panic.  Let's get together (PRIVATELY - AWAY FROM EVERYONE ELSE) and discuss what happened, to decide what should be done about it. 

If (when) necessary the Referee will handle informing/explaining to (Head) Coaches of the ruling (again, as privately as possible).

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 08:38:19 PM »
It is really not as important what to discuss in pre game but TO HAVE A PREGAME.

Even if you are running really late due to circumstance, at last talk football on the way there if possible or at least while dressing.

Th e worst pregame will beat no pregame every time!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 01:46:02 AM »
It's ALWAYS a good idea, but especially when you haven't had the opportunity to discuss things as much as you'd like, to remind everyone, If something (anything) happens that confuses you, don't panic.  Let's get together (PRIVATELY - AWAY FROM EVERYONE ELSE) and discuss what happened, to decide what should be done about it. 

If (when) necessary the Referee will handle informing/explaining to (Head) Coaches of the ruling (again, as privately as possible).

I think you touch on one of the most important aspects of a pre-game. Communication. If something goes wrong out there, how are we as a crew going to communicate about it and get it right. Covering the situations where crew communication is vital and what the expectations on communication are can go a long way in a pre-game.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 07:52:31 AM »
IMO, you must keep a detailed coverage of free and scrimmage kick responsibilities in your shortened version.   

If anything can go wrong in a game, it will generally do so on a kick play.

Amen, and hallelujah.   yEs:

Offline PAREF

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 11:58:19 AM »
I agree that kicks should be kept in there, they are the plays we see the least. We always discuss anything that comes back from the coaches, and three things we never leave out are 1. If you think somethings wrong "speak up" 2. Make it be there and 3. SEE THE BALL!!!!!!

Offline chriscwilson

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »
Sometimes we get the best pre-games in the car on the way to the game.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 04:04:05 PM »
Sometimes we get the best pre-games in the car on the way to the game.
I would venture to say in many areas more high school pre-games are held in the car on the way to the game than are actually held at the game site.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »
I would venture to say in many areas more high school pre-games are held in the car on the way to the game than are actually held at the game site.
We always try to travel together to do just that.
 We get mileage -- the referee usually gets the mileage -- the referee usually drives...
  the referee usually asks the  sNiCkErS umpire  sNiCkErS to lead the discussion....
   get all involved, ask : "What will you do ?" ..NOT : "You do this !"

IMHO, a solid pregame accomplishes the following :

(1) YOU ARE A TEAM - KNOWING YOUR DUTIES AND UNDERSTANDING YOUR TEAMMATES ,STRENGTHENS YOUR TEAM.
 (2) DISCUSSING POSSIBLE SITUATIONS WILL READY YOU FOR THOSE SITUATIONS WHEN THEY ARRIVE.
 (3) MENTALLY PREPARES YOU TO BE "GAME READY". GET YOUR "GAME FACE" ON, THE PLAYERS AND COACHES HAVE PROBABLY HAD THEIRS ON SINCE LAST PRACTICE.

Sometimes, it may seem boring but just consider the jet pilot and co-pilot. Their checklist is repeated over and over before every takeoff. It's better to cover it and not have it happen then not to cover it and have it happen. I recall one situation where we discussed the holder leaving knee to retrieve a bad snap to stay alive, while if he leaves his knee to retrieve a muff and returns to his knee the ball becomes dead. Early in the game the holder's muff took him off his knee and upon return I killed it. It was fresh in my mind after our discussion, but I fear if it wasn't, the bell wouldn't have rang in my head until later. I've been a strong proponent of the pregame ever since.

Offline chriscwilson

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »

What else would five guys talk about on a 2 hour drive to work a football game? :)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 03:26:11 PM »
What else would five guys talk about on a 2 hour drive to work a football game? :)
You would be surprised.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi