Author Topic: You Make the Call  (Read 14428 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
You Make the Call
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 12:41:50 PM »
Maybe I’m being too narrow-minded about it, but I still can’t help but think that those officials didn’t have time to think about all the things we discussed in real time. They saw a nonplayer come onto the field, assumed he was connected to the team and threw a flag. I guess they could have stopped the game and investigated further, but how many of you would believe what the coaching staff said? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: You Make the Call
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2017, 06:37:20 AM »
They saw a nonplayer come onto the field, assumed ........... "

???
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »
IMHO, with most plays that result in 1-1-6 or 9-10-1 applications, you have to be there to make the call. While I don't necessarily agree with the officials' call. I do agree that a quickly decided rule in the heat of battle deserves my support along with the pray:; that in never occurs in any of my games.

tR:oLl tR:oLl :puke: :puke: tR:oLl tR:oLl

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 09:31:13 AM »
???
I get it, but what else you gonna do? Stop the game and interrogate him? "Excuse me, what are you doing out here?" Or you a coach, attendant, trainer? Or just a casual fan? If you're the former, I'm throwing a flag, if the latter, it's all good. Let me get the clock reset..." I just don't think it's as simple as some would like to believe. To be sure, it's one of those "you had to be there" type of calls. Having said that, what did the guys who were there do? And why?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »
I get it, but what else you gonna do? Stop the game and interrogate him? "Excuse me, what are you doing out here?" Or you a coach, attendant, trainer? Or just a casual fan? If you're the former, I'm throwing a flag, if the latter, it's all good. Let me get the clock reset..." I just don't think it's as simple as some would like to believe. To be sure, it's one of those "you had to be there" type of calls. Having said that, what did the guys who were there do? And why?

AMEN

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2017, 09:51:16 AM »
1- The officials on the game enforced a 15 yard UNS against Team A.  Why??? Only the shadow knows!
2- Team A throws a Forward Pass which is intercepted in Team B's end zone.
3- Team B took a knee!
4- Arkansas State Championship Trophy was then presented to Team B. (aka Arkadelphia)

5- Most valuable Jackass Award given to the kid who's act, likely effected the outcome of the State Championship game.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:58:00 AM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »
Lots of valid opinion here, and I am not saying that anybody is wrong. 

But what does this kid do when he runs on the field?  Does he run to the QB with a water bottle or towel?   I think we have a foul.  Or does he run in circles like an idiot pointing at himself and ask the crowd to cheer for him?  I'm not penalizing the players for something that they and their coaches have no control over.

When in doubt, I do not have call.  And at least in this situation, I am not automatically enforcing a 15 yard penalty just because someone else on the crew thinks they have a foul. We're going to talk about it as a crew, and if necessary talk to the coaches and maybe game administration,  And that's going to take as long as it takes.

Offline chaoslord

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 10:42:08 AM »
Here's a video of the situation that someone posted online (looks like it is a copy of the streaming feed, not sure if that's ok or not so edit/delete this post if necessary)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ozChirCAw

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
That's not even close to the picture I had in my mind of what happened. That is clearly a case of a fan on the field.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 04:04:31 PM »
WOW...not so cut and dry as I thought.  I feel sorry for the officials.

I'm calling for a Special Prosecutor or Congressional investigation!

Two things jumped out of the video:
!. This clown certainly was wearing Team A colors = highly suspect motivation!  If there were a way to connect him to team A before dragging him off the field, I still maintain the officilas would have been within their rights to declare the game over. IF A HAD BEEN ALLOWED TO KICK THE WINNING FIELD GOAL, AND THEN WE FOUND OUT THERE WAS A CONNETION, CALL THE LAWYERS!

2. I believe putting 12 seconds back on the clock may have been a little generous.  The announcers spoke of "10 seconds and counting" as the officials were in the process of re-spotting the ball.  By my count, a stoppage around  5 or 6 seconds MAY have been more appropriate.  Not being critical under the circumstances as I'm sure everyone's head was spinning.

BTW, has anyone heard from where this clown hailed?

Offline CalhounLJ

You Make the Call
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 07:15:27 AM »
I was thinking all the time that the sequence of events happened more quickly. Guy walks out on field, official sees him, throws a flag, and then everything else. With the way it really happened ( security running out, officials huddling, and B screaming to start the clock) it’s at least possible the crew was pressured into the decision.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »
5- Most valuable Jackass Award given to the kid who's act, likely effected the outcome of the State Championship game.
May I borrow your crystal ball to get the Lotto numbers?

It's obvious that Team A was going to run a play, since they couldn't legally spike the ball from that formation.  And, I suspect, it was going to be a pass into the EZ that, if incomplete, would give them time to attempt a FG on the next play.

But who's to say that such a pass wouldn't have still been intercepted, leading to the very same result?

Maybe an alternate course of action for the officials would be to reset the clock and inform the Team A coach that he had to run whatever play he had already called -- IOW, not allow a FG attempt on that particular play.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 08:14:53 AM »
After seeing the movie, it appeared that the unwanted arrival of the deranged fan didn't upset the play but only the "pace of the game" (a term often used by 40 sec. play clock promoters  :) ). I would have enforced the same foul as when the Stanford band appeared on the field while UCal was turning a rugby scrum into a touchdown.

OF COURSE I've HAD SINCE DECEMBER 10th to think about this  ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:18:52 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline MClays99

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 11:45:06 AM »
Extremely interesting situation to have to deal with.  I don't agree with penalizing a team due to the colors the fan was wearing.  I also think they were very generous with the clock by putting :12 on.  What also had me a little confused was why the back judge killed the play when B intercepted the ball in the EZ PRIOR to the DB looking like he may have taken a knee - that's a live ball.  Had the back judge been watching the player with the ball, he should have followed up with a UNS for spiking the ball.
Now everything would get more interesting - you have an IW due to BJ killing the live play, followed by a UNS on B...

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »
MClays99 is correct, but...

On the Last Play...
IW on the Back Judge after the COP.
UNS on B25 after the IW.

Since their is 0:03 remaining, Per NFHS 4-2-3c, B (now A), will undoubtedly take the result of the play, which is a Touchback. Place the ball on the B (now A) 20.
A (now B)  will undoubtedly accept the UNS which moves the ball to the B (now A) 10.
B (now A) takes a knee at the B (now A) 9 yard line - Game over.

Back Judge buys beer for distinguishing himself as the newest member of the exclusive club of officials who have blown an IW in a state championship game!   :puke:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:43:48 PM by KWH »
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline MClays99

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2017, 03:01:20 PM »
KWH you be correct!  I simply threw that out there to make people think  cRaZy

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »
KWH you be correct!  I simply threw that out there to make people think  cRaZy

Thinking is way overrated!

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2018, 10:49:02 PM »
We had this occur in a game at St Pete High in Florida. I saw the kid come from my sideline, run and chase the QB until the Sheriff's Deputies arrived to cuff him and drag him from the stadium. When I first saw the kid I asked the Coach over my shoulder "Is that one of yours?" Blew the whistle and stopped everything.

After everything settled down, I informed the White Hat that we were on a running clock. We chose to make it an Official's timeout and required water break, under Florida rules. About 6 1/2 minutes left in the quarter. Clock started on the snap.

Offline CalhounLJ

You Make the Call
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2018, 07:02:23 AM »
Why did the clock start on the snap?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2018, 10:19:25 AM »
Why did the clock start on the snap?

Seems a logical conclusion to end an interruption caused by a totally illogical, unusual behavior.  The notion to combine the interruption with a sanctioned, normal and appropriate "water break" is a practical application of combining the interruption with a sanctioned break, eliminating the need to generate a separate interruption, to satisfy the intent of the required "water break".

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »
After everything settled down, I informed the White Hat that we were on a running clock. We chose to make it an Official's timeout and required water break, under Florida rules. About 6 1/2 minutes left in the quarter. Clock started on the snap.
Where I'm from, the heat timeouts are considered official timeouts, and if the clock was running, we wind it again on the RFP.
3-4-2a
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:31:08 AM by CalhounLJ »