Football Officiating > General Discussion

Rule writers

(1/2) > >>

ElvisLives:
Ya know, IMHO, the goofy rules we get are the result of coaches (or, in the case of professional football, Owners) writing the rules. When football first started getting organized, the players - the guys actually playing the game - wrote the rules. The book was very small.
At some point, coaches stole that away from the players, and look what we have now. Can we turn back the clock? Please?

Just venting.

dammitbobby:
Coaches are the reason many arcane rules exist in the first place... kind of funny that they have made it so complex trying to stop their fellow coaches from doing things to get an advantage.

TampaSteve:
I would strongly suggest to state that the rules writers at all levels, whatever position they hold, are grandly assisted by Attorneys these days.

Ralph Damren:
FYI, NFHS Rules Committee makeup (per my counting) is:

31  State Association
17  Game Officials
4   Coaches

Proposed changes need to come from committee members or with state association approval.

ElvisLives:
NCAA has 12 voting members, all coaches or athletic directors. The Secretary/Editor of the Committee is Steve Shaw, former official and coordinator of officials for the SEC. The only official on the committee. Guess what? He is the 13th - non-voting - member.
I’m sure he has influence., but he can’t vote.

For Texas high school, NCAA rules are used, with ‘exceptions’ (deletions/additons/modifications) developed and approved by the state athletic association, which are all coaches/ADs. The officials association is consulted in that process, but that’s it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version