Author Topic: Massachusetts to NFHS in 2019  (Read 3436 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Massachusetts to NFHS in 2019
« on: August 08, 2018, 11:49:18 AM »
Was just notified that Massachusetts will be switching to NFHS rules for football starting in 2019.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
Re: Massachusetts to NFHS in 2019
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
Was just notified that Massachusetts will be switching to NFHS rules for football starting in 2019.

Did they give the reasons for the change?  I thought I had heard there was a push by more states to move to the NCAA rules.

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 03:34:56 PM »
Did they give the reasons for the change?  I thought I had heard there was a push by more states to move to the NCAA rules.

One reason: Lawyers!?!?! Apparently if you use NCAA rules you can be sued... for reasons?!?

From the Boston Globe:

“[The federation] addresses sportsmanship, and health and safety, in a specific way,” he said.

Legally, the TMC also had been advised that the MIAA could face the risk of a lawsuit without consistency in its rules policies.

“We need to be proactive here,” he said.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 11:55:55 AM »
I guess Texas is the last hold out.

Thank goodness!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 05:38:12 PM »
I guess Texas is the last hold out.

Thank goodness!

You would have a mass exodus if Texas tried to pull this.

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 08:35:53 PM »
If the story that we are 1000 officials short, id say the exodus has been on going. :sTiR:

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 04:23:29 PM »
One reason: Lawyers!?!?! Apparently if you use NCAA rules you can be sued... for reasons?!?

From the Boston Globe:
Well, that's stupid. Private schools use different rules anyway in their competitions, yet no one sues them. Even states that use NFHS rules might use modifications to them, like the 40 second play clock in Colorado, Michigan, and Indiana, or the shot clock in 8 states + DC. If deviation from NFHS rules = lawsuits, why have NY State (NCAA rules in girls basketball), New Mexico (only wood bats allowed in baseball), Maryland (shot clock in basketball), or leagues like the WCAC, NEPSAC, and others not been sued?

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 10:32:23 PM »
Sorry Carol, but with all due respect, I have never heard any of the NFHS member states ever discuss moving to NCAA rules in Football.  That is pure folklore!
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum

Offline eprov

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 08:16:42 AM »
Been officiating high in Mass for 27 years never heard of a lawsuits. And as far as modifications, MIAA has made them to the NCAA rules (5 time outs, touchbacks placed at the 20, kickoff from the 40, overtime ball placed at the 10 just to name a few) Some leagues play 10 minute quarters other play 11. I’m sure head coaches opinions were never sought. My board services many youth leagues, AYF and Pop and we been using NFHS rules for years. We hold separate rules review. Just don’t blow and throw when the D line jumps and gets back on Friday night.