Author Topic: Extended goal line  (Read 1689 times)

Offline jim417

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Extended goal line
« on: August 28, 2017, 02:20:45 PM »
I'm new to officiating, just officiated my first games, JFL, this past weekend.  I have a question regarding the extended goal line.  My understanding is that the runner can hold the ball over the sideline (out of bounds) and as long as he has both feet in bounds as he crosses the goal line, this is a touchdown, as the goal line is extended on this play?  What is the ruling if, while still holding the ball over the sideline and both feet in bounds, the ball becomes loose, but continues forward, at the one yard line and breaks the extended plane?  Is it a fumble at the spot or would it be a touch back for the opposing team? 

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Extended goal line
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »
“When a loose ball goes out of bounds, the out-of-bounds spot is fixed by the yard line where the foremost point of the ball crossed the sideline.”

If the runner is holding the ball over the sideline, with both feet in bounds, and then loses possession of the ball, I would say the out-of-bounds spot is the point where the runner lost possession.  In your example it would still be A's ball, assuming that it was not 4th down and the ball is out of bounds behind the line-to-gain.  This is no different that if the runner had fumbled at the one yard line, and the ball bounced out of bounds at the one yard line. 

If the runner fumbled while the ball is in bounds, and the fumble went into the EZ and then out of bounds behind the goal line, it would be a touchback since the force that put the ball into the EZ is the fumble.

Hope you enjoyed your first games on the field!