Author Topic: Here We Go....  (Read 11450 times)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Here We Go....
« on: April 14, 2018, 07:59:50 AM »

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Here We Go....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 08:36:46 AM »
The slope is now completely covered with Crisco.

http://www.al.com/expo/erry-2018/04/e56ea395ff2254/how_will_instant_replay_work_i.html#incart_river_index

And you won’t be able to clean it up.  Texas will follow soon, I’m sure.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »
It is probably a good idea to have one state experiment with instant replay, before mandating it for everyone. 

I don't know how other areas of the country will react, but in my area (Wisconsin) I expect COST to be the major problem, regardless of the success of the experiment.  We just have too many small schools.  Consolidated teams and 8 man teams are becoming more prevalent. 

$$$

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 08:38:51 AM »
Good luck with this Bama, and please let us know how it’s working.

If the average game time expands by the upper end of “no more than 30 minutes” that would put us at over 3 hours nearly every week (unless we have a running clock).

Seems to me the big (only) winner in this is DVSports.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »
Seems to me the big (only) winner in this is DVSports.

Sad, but true.

Time to buy some stock!

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 10:33:53 AM »
It is probably a good idea to have one state experiment with instant replay, before mandating it for everyone. 

I don't know how other areas of the country will react, but in my area (Wisconsin) I expect COST to be the major problem, regardless of the success of the experiment.  We just have too many small schools.  Consolidated teams and 8 man teams are becoming more prevalent. 

$$$

Cost is my concern here too, and that would then lead to inconsistencies in crews due to exposure/experience.

Where I am, I would expect very few schools to immediately run out and buy the system if it became an option -- but there would be a couple that did. Crews that worked games at those schools would learn the system, but crews that generally didn't work those schools would have no incentive (or ability) to learn -- UNTIL -- the 2nd/3rd round playoff game where a crew with no replay experience is suddenly tossed to a school with replay equipment and expected to use it flawlessly (because it's the playoffs...).

Hopefully Alabama works out those growing pains with as little controversy as possible (and then decides it's not worth it...)

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:47:42 AM »
Perhaps there needs to be a new signal/mechanic for "Call Stands" and "Call Changed" to let everyone know what the ruling is, since most schools will not have a microphone.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Here We Go....
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 09:13:36 AM »
Perhaps there needs to be a new signal/mechanic for "Call Stands" and "Call Changed" to let everyone know what the ruling is, since most schools will not have a microphone.
In keeping with the post below, how about a thumb (finger) up for call stands, down for call reversed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Legacy Zebra

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 09:24:23 AM »
In keeping with the post below, how about a thumb (finger) up for call stands, down for call reversed?

Depending on how the review goes, you’ll probably get lots of other fingers right back at you.  LOL

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 09:33:20 AM »

I kinda like the point to center-ice (for confirmed or stands).  And then the "no good" signal, followed by a one-fingered salute toward the calling official for no-score.   ;D

Just Monday morning humor (although I do LOVEs me some hockey, especially the Stanley Cup playoffs - go Pens!).

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 10:25:19 AM »
Minnesota used instant replay in their semifinal & championship games as an experimental rule. There was very little support for it at the Rules Committee meeting. If there are any on the forum from Minnesota, they may be able to fill us in.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:04:58 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 09:48:01 PM »
I kinda like the point to center-ice (for confirmed or stands).  And then the "no good" signal, followed by a one-fingered salute toward the calling official for no-score.   ;D

Just Monday morning humor (although I do LOVEs me some hockey, especially the Stanley Cup playoffs - go Pens!).

Now I want to be a white hat and a have a microphone to become the high school football version of Wes McCauley
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:50:33 PM by ncwingman »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 09:06:11 AM »

Ice hockey is the only sport that my wife enjoys watching ,so it is a favorite of mine ,too . IMHO, Sidney Crosby is today's Gretsky and wish the Penguins success over the Flyers. Our NEW ENGLAND Bruins (along with the Celtics) have our hearts now - once eliminated they will return to Those Boston Bruins ! Enjoy the Pen's push for Lord Stanley's Cup. :)

Offline east louis

• FAN REACTION: +1/-15
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 08:41:17 AM »
IDC whatever state/region any of us do our games at,DONT LOSE ANY SLEEP OVER THIS,be focused & do your job to the absolute best of your abilities

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 05:31:15 AM »
UPDATE:  There is a meeting scheduled for next week in Montgomery to discuss the implementation of IR.  I'll let you know what transpires.

FWIW:  I have had several coaches in our area tell me that they will not use IR.  Apparently, the initial cost is $3500, with a $1500 per year fee after that.  Also had one coach relate that his staff had gone over every play from the last four years, and found only three that they would have challenged.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 09:18:58 AM »
UPDATE:  There is a meeting scheduled for next week in Montgomery to discuss the implementation of IR.  I'll let you know what transpires.

FWIW:  I have had several coaches in our area tell me that they will not use IR.  Apparently, the initial cost is $3500, with a $1500 per year fee after that.  Also had one coach relate that his staff had gone over every play from the last four years, and found only three that they would have challenged.

Do most schools have Hudl?  Doesn't Hudl have live sideline/tablet technology already?  Why couldn't they just utilize that?

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 09:30:03 AM »

Sounds about right. With only one or two angles to choose from and those angles usually being at a sizeable distance away, there won't be many. Maybe one or two a year. Is that worth $3500 set up cost and $1500 every year for schools that are already short on money? Probably not.

Offline ncwingman

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 02:33:16 PM »
Do most schools have Hudl?  Doesn't Hudl have live sideline/tablet technology already?  Why couldn't they just utilize that?

I've never seen video uploaded to hudl that could have overturned a call on the field. You get a relatively cheap camcorder from the press box that turns the football into a 15 pixel blur -- unless it's something incredibly egregious, you'd never be able to overturn a fumble vs. down or in/out of bounds at the pylon with the quality of equipment that most schools use.

Offline FLAHL

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 04:26:24 PM »
The video quality has improved 1000% with HD cameras. But the limitation of one press box angle and (maybe) one EZ shot, with no ability to zoom in, isn’t going to result in “incontrovertible evidence “ to overturn a call. At least in my humble opinion.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 11:16:46 PM »
Texas (i.e. the UIL) already announced last month they will have Instant Replay in the State Championship games starting this year. I know they have studied it for at least a year before this decision.

https://www.uiltexas.org/press-releases/detail/uil-adds-instant-replay-to-football-state-championships

Offline justbill13

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 08:59:05 PM »
IMHO, the can of worms was opened once they started playing State Championship games in stadiums with the big jumbo screens (such as TX and GA).  In those stadiums, the replay that the entire crowd gets to see may or may not find a error in our part of the game.  As long as we are playing in those circumstances, we need a mechanism to correct an error on our part that everyone knows we made.

Offline CalhounLJ

Here We Go....
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 01:23:24 PM »
IMHO, the can of worms was opened once they started playing State Championship games in stadiums with the big jumbo screens (such as TX and GA).  In those stadiums, the replay that the entire crowd gets to see may or may not find a error in our part of the game.  As long as we are playing in those circumstances, we need a mechanism to correct an error on our part that everyone knows we made.
I disagree. I think we need to inform/educate the public of the human element involved in officiating and help them be ok with it. 

Offline justbill13

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »
Think about working a championship game in a stadium with one of those large screens and you look up and you can see you got a call wrong as well as everyone else.  Wouldn't you want the ability to correct that, whether the audience is informed on the human element or not?

Offline CalhounLJ

Here We Go....
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 06:50:21 PM »
Think about working a championship game in a stadium with one of those large screens and you look up and you can see you got a call wrong as well as everyone else.  Wouldn't you want the ability to correct that, whether the audience is informed on the human element or not?
Nope. Been there, done that. The crowd groaned, we never looked up, and all was forgotten three plays later.

Offline Legacy Zebra

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 07:02:09 PM »
I just don't understand this attitude. We make a mistake, and rather than owning up to it and doing what we can to fix it, you want to just say "Welp. Sorry." Most of us aren't ok with just accepting mistakes, why should the public be ok with it? Nobody is talking about judgement calls here. If we make a correctable mistake, why wouldn't we fix it? That's just insane.