Author Topic: Defensive pass interference  (Read 3882 times)

ValleyOfMegiddo

Defensive pass interference
« on: November 29, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »
So I'm having an ongoing discussion with someone in regards to defensive pass Interference. Let me set the stage. Our state uses Federation rules.  A Throws a pass and the receiver is interfered with by B. However the ball was caught for a touchdown. I have been saying that you cannot add the penalty yardage for the pass interference at the end of the run. Since pass interference is a loose ball foul the basic spot is the previous spot. Am I missing something that they believe I am incorrect? If you have a rule reference that would be even more beneficial. Thank you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline ChicagoZebra

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Defensive pass interference
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 05:01:17 PM »
In Fed rules, ANY penalty committed by the non-scoring team can be enforced on the subsequent try or kickoff, assuming there has been no change of possession. See 8-2-2.

The DPI can be enforced on the try of kickoff (but cannot carry over to the start of OT).

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 06:33:40 AM »
You would be correct if the play ended in the field of play:  take a 15-yard penalty from the previous spot, or the result of the play.

ChicagoZebra has given you the correct ruling for a play that results in a TD.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »
The "interferer" didn't interfere very well  :)!

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 12:48:28 PM »
Also, if ANY foul for which the basic spot is the succeeding spot is committed by the EITHER team after the TD but before the RFP, it too may be enforced on the KO or PAT.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 12:54:07 PM »
Also, if ANY foul for which the basic spot is the succeeding spot is committed by the EITHER team after the TD but before the RFP, it too may be enforced on the KO or PAT.

To nitpick slightly... any foul that occurs after the TD but before the RFP on the try is, by definition, a dead ball foul and all dead ball fouls have succeeding spot enforcement.

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 02:05:14 PM »
If the foul occurs after the TD but before the RFP, then the enforcement is either the succeeding k/o or the try.  If the foul occurs after the RFP then it is only on the try.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
The "interferer" didn't interfere very well  :)!

Welcome back Ralph. Hope everything went well and the clam martinis are going down smoothly.