Author Topic: The Belated Santa's Wish List.....  (Read 16281 times)

Offline sir55

• FAN REACTION: +12/-5
Re: The Belated Santa's Wish List.....
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
Could you add doing away with the fouls for different color towels? If they are not ball colored or penalty flag colored, or have illegal writing on them, it should not matter. It seems it would be a simple rule deletion that would not cost the schools anything and remove headaches for the officials.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 03:46:59 PM »
Could you add doing away with the fouls for different color towels? If they are not ball colored or penalty flag colored, or have illegal writing on them, it should not matter. It seems it would be a simple rule deletion that would not cost the schools anything and remove headaches for the officials.

+1

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 12:46:21 PM »

1.  R could have any  z^ witness for pregame meeting with coach.
Don't care

2. No  ^flag for failure to wear required equip. - must leave for a play.
I'd leave it as is for safety reasons, but officials should use common sense

3, Blindside block must lead with open hands.
YES

4. IS/IP can be PSK if after snap.
Sure

5. Eliminate FBZ.
No

6. FBZ only on initial charge.
Sure

7. FBZ only from 3-point stance.
Yes

8. Airborne player IB/OOB depends on where he came from.
Yes

9. No UTD on LOD fouls by team in lead only.
If you want to go this route, I would just write the rule to give the offended the team the option of an UTD

10.Start clock on RFP on everything but TOs & scores- until last 2 min of half.
Yes

11. Offended team can choose when to start clock after  ^flag in last two min of game.
Yes. Removes gray area.

12. No mind-reading needed on 3-4-6, use if advantage gained.
Think this is already what's been happening, but sure.

13. TO keeps player who lost hat in.
No. Safety issue - kids need to wear their helmets properly.

14. Add 40 second play clock.
No. Not just the logistics of running the clock, but one major advantage that college and pro guys have that we don't is ample ball personnel on both sidelines. This would cause too many issues, IMO. And it's a change that I don't think is overly needed, anyway.

15. Ball dead if runner loses artificial arm/leg.
No preference

16."Pop-up" free kick is illegal.
No thanks

17.Must have & keep 2 yd. space by all K players from RFP to KO.
Yes. Should also outline the wedge, similar to how the NCAA has done so.

20.Snapper can rotate ball end-for-end.
No preference

21. B encroachment if he touches snap before released by snapper.
Yes

22.No 9 yd. rule for players already in game.
No. Rule is good and fair as written.

23.Legal to spike from shotgun.
Yes.

24. No IG if outside of tackle box and pass goes beyond LOS.
No. The NFHS rule is correct. The defense has earned a good play and the offense should not be able to bail out of it.

25. 3 second runoff on spikes.
If you're talking about the NCAA rule when the clock starts on the RFP, I think that's fine.

26. Face guarding no longer PI.
YES! This being a foul makes no sense.

27. Blocking after giving FC signal only 1o yards.
Sure

28. Runner can legally hurdle.
No. Safety issue.

29. A laundry list of what is a "defenseless player".
YES YES YES

30. Roughing the passer if he's hit below the knees.
I'd say "forcibly" but I'm okay with it

31. Tossed player sneaks back in game = IP before the snap.
Yes

32. Auto 1st down on USC, PF and DPI on B.
Yes

33.  ^flag by A behind LOS = previous spot foul.
Yes. Current penalty is too punitive.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »
25/40:
I would support 25/40, HOWEVER:
I dont know of more than 3 schools (if that) in this 6-county area that even have a visual 25-clock.  Thus, BJ does the playclock.
BJ is supposed to clean up plays on the sideline (although only about 30% of the ones round these parts actually do).  All this said, to hand the duty of a 40-second clock to start properly while BJ is dealing with sideline issues and/or getting a ball - I just do not see it happening in real life.

Also, for 4-man - just isnt going to happen properly/consistently.

GAME CLOCK:
ANYTHING to speed up the game I would support.  2:45-3:00 games are commonplace round these parts.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:04:34 PM by TampaSteve »

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »

+1

Plus, like, eleventy billion.  I hate being fashion police even more that I hate having to decide whether the knee is covered up or not.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »
25/40:
GAME CLOCK:
ANYTHING to speed up the game I would support.  2:45-3:00 games are commonplace round these parts.
Just 2:45-3:00? I know of crews that would kill for that.
Before the current timing rules were enacted, 2:00-2:15 was our norm. Anything over that probably meant OT was involved. Of course, that was before coaches thought the ball had to be in the air 75 times a night.  hEaDbAnG
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2017, 11:55:07 AM »
1.  R could have any  z^ witness for pregame meeting with coach.  N/A in Alabama.

2. No  ^flag for failure to wear required equip. - must leave for a play.  No.  Threat of a USC on coach helps keep this from occurring.

3, Blindside block must lead with open hands. Yes

4. IS/IP can be PSK if after snap.  Might as well.

5. Eliminate FBZ.  NO!

6. FBZ only on initial charge.  Yes.  By philosophy, that's the way we're calling it now.

7. FBZ only from 3-point stance.  No.  See above answer.

8. Airborne player IB/OOB depends on where he came from.  Either this, or define an "inbounds player", or both.

9. No UTD on LOD fouls by team in lead only.  OK

10.Start clock on RFP on everything but TOs & scores- until last 2 min of half.  YES!

11. Offended team can choose when to start clock after  ^flag in last two min of game.  OK

12. No mind-reading needed on 3-4-6, use if advantage gained.  OK

13. TO keeps player who lost hat in.  No.

14. Add 40 second play clock.  No.

15. Ball dead if runner loses artificial arm/leg.  You're kidding, right?

16."Pop-up" free kick is illegal.  No

17.Must have & keep 2 yd. space by all K players from RFP to KO.  Unnecessary & impossible to officiate.

20.Snapper can rotate ball end-for-end.  Yes

21. B encroachment if he touches snap before released by snapper.Yes

22.No 9 yd. rule for players already in game.  Don't care.

23.Legal to spike from shotgun.  YES!

24. No IG if outside of tackle box and pass goes beyond LOS.  No

25. 3 second runoff on spikes.  I have no idea what this even means.

26. Face guarding no longer PI.  No.  Make them learn correct techniques.

27. Blocking after giving FC signal only 1o yards.  Don't care.  Never seen this.

28. Runner can legally hurdle.  I'm personally opposed, but apparently it's not being called now.

29. A laundry list of what is a "defenseless player".  OK

30. Roughing the passer if he's hit below the knees. Only if you add the word "intentionally".

31. Tossed player sneaks back in game = IP before the snap.  OK.  Never seen this.

32. Auto 1st down on USC, PF and DPI on B.  Yes, especially DPI.

33.  ^flag by A behind LOS = previous spot foul.  YES!

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2017, 12:23:59 PM »

I can appreciate, and sympathize, with concerns about dealing with what seems like REALLY petty issues, but I keep remembering that NONE of us can come close to the pettiness and imagination of the American teenager, and a growing number of High School Administrators, Teachers and (sadly) some Coaches. 

Leaving rules as ambiguous, serves to open the door for ever sillier arguments, exceptions and modifications, that stimulate the search and fuels creativity, and one ups-manship,  in challenging (arguing about) inventive interpretation differences.

Perhaps the best example of a clear, unambiguous, easily defined and enforceable rules in NFHS:1-5-3-5 (allowed uniform adornments), which limits the imagination of participants to either (a) a towel (specifically defined) and (b) a "moisture absorbing sweatband", "when worn on the wrist beginning at the base of the thumb.....".  EVERYTHING else is prohibited, rejecting the extent of creativity provided to participants at other levels of the sport.

Offline prab

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2017, 04:34:14 PM »

......I keep remembering that NONE of us can come close to the pettiness and imagination of the American teenager, and a growing number of High School Administrators, Teachers and (sadly) some Coaches. 

I wish that I could say that AL was wrong on this one.  However, unfortunately, I believe that he is correct. 

Offline prab

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »
Is it too late to ask for a return to the 2009 rule which had the hash marks bisecting the yard lines?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 12:17:24 PM »
Thanks, guys, for your input. I'm packing my grip for Windy Indy and your opinions are included :). 15 gave itemized responses and here are the totals (note: some voiced "no opinion" to a question and ,therefore, not every question has b15 responses) ;

THOSE THAT WERE HOT...
   1. 7-5     2. 10-5     3. 10-5     4.   15-0      6.   10-5     8.   11-1   10.   8-7       12.   10-5
   15.  13-0    20.   9-4     23.   11-4     26.   9-3     31.   10-2    32.   8-7     33.   9-6

THOSE THAT WERE NOT......
   7.   7-8     9.   4-11      11.   5-9      13.   5-10      14.    5-10     16.   1-14      17.   1-14
   22.   3-11     24.   2-13      25.   1-11       27.   3-8      28.   2-12   29.  4-11    30.   3-12

THOSE THAT I DISAGREE WITH YOUR MAJORITY....

#10. - If we did this as proposed, a half would last 30-35 minutes :o. I would favor a modified change such as after COP or NCAA's OOB timing.

#23. - IMHO, this would allow QB a wider view of potential recievers before spike and the ability to spike a "pop-up" snap that he fields cleanly to prevent sack.

#32. - Upset balance of O/D, O doesn't need any help. By making all PF's on B an AFD would delute the roughing of a vaunerable player (passer/kicker/snapper/holder). Some will say: "Then we otta'  add LOD to those fouls by A"...those some may have a point ::).

#33. - I'm an all-but-one guy...A doesn't need any help in the balance.

I'm off to sunny Florida after Indy and won't return until Ground Hog's Day. Stay well everyone and remember......

IF 15 MEN AGREED ON EVERYTHING, ONLY ONE IS THEN NEEDED tiphat:

Offline Rich

• FAN REACTION: +6/-5
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 12:39:11 PM »
If I had one vote for one thing, it would be doing something with the timing rules.

Games that used to last 2:00 to 2:10 now are pushing 3 hours in some instances.  Underclass games are lasting longer, too, and they're playing them on fields without lights which has led to earlier start times (cause we can't convince some leagues to play shorter quarters).

The 40/25 change would help administration -- I disagree that a BJ couldn't do his duties cleaning up -- he would very quickly remember to hit the timer at the end of each play.

Where I'd change things is this -- allow the clock to run on OOB plays outside the last 2 minutes of each half as the NCAA does.  Consider not stopping the clock on each first down outside of 2 minutes -- I can't remember the last time we really had to wait for the box guy to get set and, quite frankly, I'm starting as quickly as possible at every level, especially early in the half.  Where I would not change, however, is on new series -- that whole "was the kick play finished inbounds" thing from the old days wasn't where I'd try to find time.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 06:22:49 AM »
#10. - If we did this as proposed, a half would last 30-35 minutes :o. I would favor a modified change such as after COP or NCAA's OOB timing.

Well, that would allow for a longer halftime, which would reduce cramps and make the band parents happy.o  Win/Win.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 10:36:34 AM »
Is replacing the entire NFHS rulebook with the NCAA rulebook a valid wish?  ;D

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2017, 11:01:29 AM »
Thanks ,again , for your replies. They went to Indy with me and helped to support my opinions. As always, I can't tell you, yet, what passed and what didn't; but I can say there are many more new rules than last year.

Offline Rich

• FAN REACTION: +6/-5
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2017, 02:47:38 PM »
Thanks ,again , for your replies. They went to Indy with me and helped to support my opinions. As always, I can't tell you, yet, what passed and what didn't; but I can say there are many more new rules than last year.

We only have about 2 weeks of waiting, right?

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
Protocol requires that two more hoops need to be jumped thru before a rule becomes a rule....usually around a couple of weeks from the meeting. Via my sundial and the alignment of constellations, I would say any day now. tiphat:

THEN LET THE DEBATES BEGIN....

:) ;) >:( :( :o 8] ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :!#

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2017, 10:05:53 AM »
Is replacing the entire NFHS rulebook with the NCAA rulebook a valid wish?  ;D

SINCE THE GRIDIRON RULES WAR OF 1948......

NO!!!!!!

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2017, 03:08:20 PM »

It's usually a Valentines Day gift from the NFHS

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14