Author Topic: TASO Test  (Read 6482 times)

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
TASO Test
« on: July 23, 2017, 07:43:19 PM »
Perhaps the worst written test I have seen from this organization.
Case in point, you can't be given two different choices in a true/false question. As a retired educator, it made me shudder.

Offline Ump62

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
Re: TASO Test
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 08:12:58 PM »
Post the question.

Offline Cowman52

• FAN REACTION: +7/-2
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
I liked the one about the crew getting arrested for DWI coming home from a game.

Also the last one about calling a coach before the game and what you could talk about.   

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 08:40:05 PM »
When the ball is free-kicked, either the kicker or the holder may be beyond their restraining line, both not both.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 09:00:34 PM »
Is the "both not both" your typo or theirs?

Either way, I don't really think the question itself is that bad. It's asking if teams can have both players beyond the restraining line or if it has to be one or the other. If you think it has to be one or the other, you would say it's true. If you think both or neither may be beyond their restraining line, you would say it's false.

Offline blindtxzebra

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »
"After A88 crosses the goal line for a touchdown, B41 slugs A12. RULING: B12 is disqualified and the penalty will be enforced on the try or succeeding kickoff. It may not be carried over to or in a succeeding extra period." hEaDbAnG

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 07:27:54 PM »
And to think, poor B12 just got promoted from ball boy to tackling dummy and was innocently standing in the team area.  :sTiR:

Offline Cowman52

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 06:42:57 PM »
He was waiting for a different jersey to put on so he could play the second half. 

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
TASO Test
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 04:17:19 PM »
When the ball is free-kicked, either the kicker or the holder may be beyond their restraining line, both not both.

If it actually said "but not both" then the question is worded perfectly fine.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
TASO Test questions
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 04:36:21 PM »
Writing, vetting, and editing the TASO exam questions can be a thankless task, with guys like us picking it apart.  Most of the questions are reasonably well written and straightforward, and the authors should be duly thanked for their efforts.  But, there are some global changes that should be made to improve the exam.  The exam should really stick to the language used in the rules.  For example:

"A34 is pulled down by the face mask, beyond the LOS, at A's 40 yard line and fumbles the ball forward where it is recovered by the defense at A's 45 yard line." 
We should only refer to the "line of scrimmage" if we really mean the one or other of the two scrimmages lines.  This statement would have been best written:  "1/10, A-30.  BC A34 is pulled by the face mask, causing him to fumble at the A-40.  The ball is recovered by B66 at the A-45.  Ruling:  A, 1/10, B-45."  (The given ruling is 'True.')

"Team, A's ball 4th & 5, on Team B's 35.  Team A throws a forward pass to A88 who is airborne and catches the pass at Team B's 29.  A88 is driven back to B's 32.  Team B's ball, 1/10 at B's 32."
We should never refer to an airborne player 'catching' or 'recovering' a ball.  The ball is not caught or recovered until that player returns to the ground inbounds.  This statement would have been best written:  "4/15, B-35.  A88 grasps and firmly holds A11's pass at the B-29.  B99 then drives A88 to the ground at the B32.  Ruling: B, 1/10, B-32."  (Of course, the given ruling is 'False.')

"B17 is the first player to touch a free kick from the 25 yard line when he leaps from inbounds, catches the kick and subsequently lands out of bounds with the ball in his possession at  the B-27."
Firstly, which 25-yard line?  Sure, we can safely assume the A-25, but, we shouldn't have to make assumptions.  Secondly, again, we shouldn't refer to airborne players catching (or recovering) any loose ball.  Thirdly, B17 never "possessed" the ball, by definition.   This question would have been best written:  "Free kick, A-25.  B17, airborne from inbounds, is the first to touch the kicked ball when he grasps and firmly holds the ball.  The ball, in B17's grasp, crossed the sideline at the B-27 before B17 first returned to the ground out of bounds."  (Correct ruling:  B, 1/10, B-27.  No foul for Free Kick Out of Bounds.)

"On a try down with Team A lined up to kick the extra point, B45 lines up at the B1.  At the snap, B45 runs toward the line and jumps over the right guard, A65.  Foul for leaping over a player on an extra point."
We should never refer to a play as an "extra point," or an "extra point attempt."  By rule, this play has a real name - a "Try."  An attempt to score by kick is a field goal attempt, just like any other scrimmage down - not a "kick try," or anything else like that.  Curiously, and quite unnecessarily, even 9-1-11-b refers to "...block a field goal or try."  (As if there is a difference between a field goal attempt and a scoring attempt by kick during a try.  That rule only needs to say, "...field goal attempt.")   
This statement would have been best written:  "Try, B-3.  Team A is aligned to attempt a field goal.  At the snap, B45 runs forward from the B-1 and leaps from beyond the NZ, over lineman A65.  Ruling:  Foul by B45 for leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal attempt."  (The given ruling is 'True.')

Player numbers should always be team letter plus jersey number (e.g., A11; B66).

Yard lines should always have the team letter and yard line number, separated by a dash (e.g., A-20; B-35), to distinguish them from player numbers.

For the down "setup," we know the team in possession is Team A, so no need to state that.  The down and distance should always be given in the same format, i.e., "[down]/[distance]."  So, the setup should always look like:  "1/10, A-30."  If the time remaining and period are significant, they should also be stated consistently:  "1/10, A-30, 0:47 (2), running."  And the play clock, too, if significant (e.g., 3/10, A-30, 0:47 (2) running, 0:20 (40); or 3/10, A-30, 0:47 (2) snap, 0:18 (25).

Fouls "offset" (and requires the down to be repeated); penalties can be "canceled" (with the down remaining as it has been established).  So, we should say: "The fouls offset."  Or, we should say: "The penalties cancel."  But, we should never say, "The penalties offset."

We should never say, "ejected."  We should always say, "disqualified."

Just my opinions.

Robert
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:37:39 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 07:05:21 AM »
 Good input!

^good

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 03:01:47 PM »
I think someone just volunteered to help write, or at least provide editorial support for, next year's test.
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 03:41:18 PM »
I think someone just volunteered to help write, or at least provide editorial support for, next year's test.

If the reference is to me, it would be my honor and pleasure to assist TASO in any way that I may be allowed.
Robert

Offline Cowman52

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 06:53:41 PM »
It's just a exercise in getting the guys in stripes to look at the rule book at  the least and study it at the the most.  The young hot shots want a perfect score and if they don't, the question was not clear.  The older of us sit and take the test and use it to see if the clutch is slipping.  I think I have a few yards left in me so one more season.   Second, it might in the least give some credence if something hits the fan that old white hat scored above average on the test so he at least ain't a total dip. 
  Over the years the tests have went the whole length from showing how big an idiot you are to if you are competent you score well.  It's just a gauge, nothing more and nothing less.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 10:15:59 PM »
It's just a exercise in getting the guys in stripes to look at the rule book at  the least and study it at the the most.  The young hot shots want a perfect score and if they don't, the question was not clear.  The older of us sit and take the test and use it to see if the clutch is slipping.  I think I have a few yards left in me so one more season.   Second, it might in the least give some credence if something hits the fan that old white hat scored above average on the test so he at least ain't a total dip. 
  Over the years the tests have went the whole length from showing how big an idiot you are to if you are competent you score well.  It's just a gauge, nothing more and nothing less.

Considering how 80% is required for playoffs missing a few questions because of a conflict in the wording or an error on the answer key it can have an impact.  In our chapter we require a 90 or above to be a crew chief.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »
If the reference is to me, it would be my honor and pleasure to assist TASO in any way that I may be allowed.
Robert

When can ya start King?    pHiNzuP ^good aWaRd

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 09:45:45 PM »
I think I already have.   :)

What would be the next step?

Robert

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
Re: TASO Test questions
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
Writing, vetting, and editing the TASO exam questions can be a thankless task, with guys like us picking it apart.  Most of the questions are reasonably well written and straightforward, and the authors should be duly thanked for their efforts.  But, there are some global changes that should be made to improve the exam.  The exam should really stick to the language used in the rules.  For example:

"A34 is pulled down by the face mask, beyond the LOS, at A's 40 yard line and fumbles the ball forward where it is recovered by the defense at A's 45 yard line." 
We should only refer to the "line of scrimmage" if we really mean the one or other of the two scrimmages lines.  This statement would have been best written:  "1/10, A-30.  BC A34 is pulled by the face mask, causing him to fumble at the A-40.  The ball is recovered by B66 at the A-45.  Ruling:  A, 1/10, B-45."  (The given ruling is 'True.')

"Team, A's ball 4th & 5, on Team B's 35.  Team A throws a forward pass to A88 who is airborne and catches the pass at Team B's 29.  A88 is driven back to B's 32.  Team B's ball, 1/10 at B's 32."
We should never refer to an airborne player 'catching' or 'recovering' a ball.  The ball is not caught or recovered until that player returns to the ground inbounds.  This statement would have been best written:  "4/15, B-35.  A88 grasps and firmly holds A11's pass at the B-29.  B99 then drives A88 to the ground at the B32.  Ruling: B, 1/10, B-32."  (Of course, the given ruling is 'False.')

"B17 is the first player to touch a free kick from the 25 yard line when he leaps from inbounds, catches the kick and subsequently lands out of bounds with the ball in his possession at  the B-27."
Firstly, which 25-yard line?  Sure, we can safely assume the A-25, but, we shouldn't have to make assumptions.  Secondly, again, we shouldn't refer to airborne players catching (or recovering) any loose ball.  Thirdly, B17 never "possessed" the ball, by definition.   This question would have been best written:  "Free kick, A-25.  B17, airborne from inbounds, is the first to touch the kicked ball when he grasps and firmly holds the ball.  The ball, in B17's grasp, crossed the sideline at the B-27 before B17 first returned to the ground out of bounds."  (Correct ruling:  B, 1/10, B-27.  No foul for Free Kick Out of Bounds.)

"On a try down with Team A lined up to kick the extra point, B45 lines up at the B1.  At the snap, B45 runs toward the line and jumps over the right guard, A65.  Foul for leaping over a player on an extra point."
We should never refer to a play as an "extra point," or an "extra point attempt."  By rule, this play has a real name - a "Try."  An attempt to score by kick is a field goal attempt, just like any other scrimmage down - not a "kick try," or anything else like that.  Curiously, and quite unnecessarily, even 9-1-11-b refers to "...block a field goal or try."  (As if there is a difference between a field goal attempt and a scoring attempt by kick during a try.  That rule only needs to say, "...field goal attempt.")   
This statement would have been best written:  "Try, B-3.  Team A is aligned to attempt a field goal.  At the snap, B45 runs forward from the B-1 and leaps from beyond the NZ, over lineman A65.  Ruling:  Foul by B45 for leaping in an obvious attempt to block a field goal attempt."  (The given ruling is 'True.')

Player numbers should always be team letter plus jersey number (e.g., A11; B66).

Yard lines should always have the team letter and yard line number, separated by a dash (e.g., A-20; B-35), to distinguish them from player numbers.

For the down "setup," we know the team in possession is Team A, so no need to state that.  The down and distance should always be given in the same format, i.e., "[down]/[distance]."  So, the setup should always look like:  "1/10, A-30."  If the time remaining and period are significant, they should also be stated consistently:  "1/10, A-30, 0:47 (2), running."  And the play clock, too, if significant (e.g., 3/10, A-30, 0:47 (2) running, 0:20 (40); or 3/10, A-30, 0:47 (2) snap, 0:18 (25).

Fouls "offset" (and requires the down to be repeated); penalties can be "canceled" (with the down remaining as it has been established).  So, we should say: "The fouls offset."  Or, we should say: "The penalties cancel."  But, we should never say, "The penalties offset."

We should never say, "ejected."  We should always say, "disqualified."

Just my opinions.

Robert

Concur. Well said.