Author Topic: How to Score This? -  (Read 5392 times)

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
How to Score This? -
« on: July 25, 2018, 02:24:49 PM »
batter argues strike 1 or 2 and gets tossed.
Does the pitcher get credit for a K?
How to score it?

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
Re: How to Score This? -
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:42:44 PM »
You put a new batter up with a 2-strike count. You dont get an out for being ejected, you're just ejected and cant play. If the sub strikes out then it's a K to the original player.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 03:12:51 PM »
i was racking my brain.
thanks

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 11:51:12 AM »
Coincidentally, though, if the new batter strikes out the strikeout is applied to the REPLACED player(or any out made by the replacement). If the AB results in a HIT or RBI, those are applied to the REPLACEMENT. Same as for an injury.

Offline bsaucer

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 01:22:02 PM »
If a pitcher is replaced after pitching two strikes, and the relief pitcher throws the third strike, which pitcher gets the strikeout?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:56:05 AM »
NFHS 9-3-6 : When a strikeout involves more than one batter, it is charged to the one who received at least two strikes. If no batter received more than one strike, it is charged to the batter who received the third strike.

I couldn't locate anything in either the NFHS Rules or Case Book regarding a change of pitchers during an at-bat, but have always told coaches to charge the first pitcher with the walk if he had thrown more than one ball.

While many of my fellow umps don't care about the score-keeping rules, I feel it only adds to our credibility if we do. Things such as catcher's obstruction being scored as an E-2 but not a time at bat and runner being hit by a batted ball being scored as a single come to mind.

While posting this, my demented mind recalled a happening from several years ago that you might enjoy......

SCENE : Runners at 1st & 2nd , 2 out. Grounder toward SS deflects off runner heading toward 3rd right into the SS glove. SS flips toward 2nd for the potential  -but unneeded - force play...

(1) I announced : "Third out was caused by runner being hit by batted ball. Score the SS with a putout and batter with a base hit."

(2) The coach of the team at bat (always a screamer >:( ) replied: "Auh, I don't care about that stuff.  ::) "

(3) A fan, probably the batter's grandfather, leaped to his feet and screamed : "COACH, YOU @#$%&*^ BETTER CARE, THAT WOULD MAKE BUBBA TW0 FOR TWO pi1eOn !"

(4) The coach looked at me  ;) with a sly grin. I ,in turn, nodded  tiphat:. I had unintentionally created an UMPIRE'S PAYBACK  nAnA !
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:12:59 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »
Those are reasons that make some of us dangerous coaches when we realize we know the book far better than the team of blue during a game we coach. The trick is knowing what hill you choose to die on.