Author Topic: best learning method  (Read 2411 times)

Offline zebra41

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
best learning method
« on: December 20, 2018, 08:08:01 PM »
As a fresh off the first year of officiating, I am looking to broaden my knowledge of the rules of the game. With the exception of the Rules Book itself, what are some other ways you would suggest? Books, publications, web pages, video etc.

Thanks for your help

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: best learning method
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 09:47:56 PM »
If you haven't bought a Reddings NFHS guide, do so.  I buy one every year.  It breaks the book down into aspects of the game-running, passing, & kicking.

I have found this board and the other one invaluable over the years

If you can get video of games you worked, have a trusted veteran review your games with you.  Look not only at what you called but what you missed. Ask yourself why.

Its a little more work now but I used to save the old exams and go back over them.

Everyone will tell you to read Rule 2 and that is important.  For exam purposes, I always review the new rule changes, last season's rule changes and enforcements.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 06:38:30 AM »
Video, video, video.  The more times you can see plays, the fewer times you’ll be taken by surprise on the field,

Matt Sumstine’s Aloha training videos are top-notch, but there are a multitude of others available on YouTube.  One word of caution:  The mechanics you see on video may differ from those in your particular state.  Concentrate more on what to watch for during certain types of plays and formations.

Live college & pro games on TV can be both instructional AND confusing.  You can certainly practice counting, and also get some tips on demeanor and appearance from those officials.  I suggest, however, that you watch with the sound muted, since (unless you work in Texas) penalty enforcements can be very different under those codes.

Good luck during your offseason.  Stay in shape, and recruit some friends to join you next season!

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 07:52:29 AM »
Welcome, Zebra41, to our forum. May you find it both enjoyable and informative. Bama stripes and HLin NC both offered excellent advise and a good direction to follow. When watching the NCAA & NFL games, focus on the official working the position that you are starting out at. When next season comes for you, and you find a night that you are not working a game, see if you can't attend a pre-game conference with a veteran crew and shadow the official at your position. We start our new guys at HL, and we've never had a problem with the V coach or chain crew of including an apprentice on the sidelines. Good luck and be ready for the boo's as they will come  :o. Develop a thick skin and remember that they aren't booing you as a person, but as the ogre that just  ^flag on their kid  :puke:.

You've chose, IMHO, the best hobby in the world. Stick with it and keep us updated with your progress.

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 08:42:12 AM »
Learning the rules is important and the above suggestions are great.  I would suggest you do not purely focus on the rules, but study mechanics.  When watching games on TV or video, in addition to looking at the plays, watch where the official in your position moves and focuses his attention.  As was said, unless you are in Texas, don't pay much attention to the NCAA rules as you will be as confused as the high school fans at your games, but the mechanics are generally the same. 
If you are free on a Friday night, but do not have a crew you can follow, go to a HS game and watch from the stands (better view)how the officials position and move.  Rules are important, but if you are out of position or focused in the wrong area, they do not help much.
Also, I agree Rule 2 is extremely important in understanding the rules.  Memorize the definitions and all the rest will be much easier to understand.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 04:19:29 PM »
What can be really beneficial and ultimately helpful in the long term, is focusing beyond the letter of a specific rule, or mechanic and truly understanding what the specific purpose of the rule, or mechanic, was intended to accomplish, and why.

That deeper understanding will come in handy to deal with the inevitable language arguments you will be confronted with periodically by those hoping to twist the purpose in their favor.

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 10:22:27 AM »
Individual states can have different rule interpretations and mechanics, so you have to be careful.

Hawaii:  http://www.refereeclinic.com/videos

South Dakota:  https://www.sdhsaa.com/Officials/SportSpecificInformation/Football/TrainingVideos.aspx

Arizona:  https://www.facebook.com/RefTraining/?fref=nf

Offline UmpHawk

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • I am proud to wear the stripes.
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »
District and state camps. Good instruction and field experience as well.