Author Topic: Advice for new game clock/ Play operator  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Navcom

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • The Action is the Juice...............I'm in.
Advice for new game clock/ Play operator
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:45:05 PM »
what can anyone tell me about working the game and play clocks? not at the same time.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Advice for new game clock/ Play operator
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 11:41:49 AM »
Eliminate any distractions in the booth.  Focus on the signals of each official.  Stop and start on any of their signals.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 11:44:27 AM »
what can anyone tell me about working the game and play clocks? not at the same time.

Game clock is not too complicated: if the clock is stopped, start the clock when an official uses a winding signal, or on the snap.  Don’t run the clock on Tries, or in Extra Periods.
Start the game clock some amount of time before the scheduled opening kickoff (60, 90, 120 minutes - something) and let it run down to zero.  Reset to 15 (or 12 for HS), and be ready for the kickoff.  Same thing at halftime - set the clock to 20, start it on the R’s signal, and let it run down to zero; reset to the period time, and be ready for the KO.
Listen for the R to announce any time corrections, and reset the clock immediately.

Play clock requires more focus and clock rule knowledge, especially with the play clock changes for 2018. 
With a 25, start it when the R gives his RFP signal - no need for pause or hesitation.

When in 40 second mode, don’t have a quick trigger on starting the PC, but don’t overly delay.  When an official uses the dead ball signal or time out signal, pause for just a moment, then start the PC. Be consistent.

The trick is knowing when you are in 40 second or 25 second mode.  Free Kicks, easy - always 25.
Scrimmage plays, several scenarios:
After a free kick, 40, start on the free kick dead ball (after a pause)
After a TD, 40, start on the TD dead ball (after a pause)
In theory, the only time a dead-ball signal is to be used is when the ball is dead and the game clock continues to run.  So, any time you see a dead-ball signal, 40, start on the dead-ball signal (after a pause).
When you see a time-out signal when a ball or ball carrier goes OB, 40, start on the TO signal (after a pause).
When there is an incomplete pass signal, 40, start on the signal (after a pause)
Any other TO signal, 25 (unless directed by R to set to 40 for injury, helmet off, etc.), start on the R’s signal.
If game clock is running and less tha the amount on the play clock, don’t run the play clock.  Leave it at 40 or 25.
If PC gets under 3 seconds, let it run down to zero, even if they snap the ball.  Wait to see if there is a DOG foul.

Stay focused.

Robert

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 01:18:16 PM »
Scrimmage plays, several scenarios:

One additional rule to remember: if team A is awarded a first down the play clock starts from 40. This includes a double COP (eg. an interception and a fumble recovery) but excludes kick downs.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »
One additional rule to remember: if team A is awarded a first down the play clock starts from 40. This includes a double COP (eg. an interception and a fumble recovery) but excludes kick downs.

Yes, the A-B-A scenario.  I was about to include that when my iPad indicated it was about to shut off due to low power!
This scenario is no different than if Team A had reached its line-to-gain.  The game clock stops to award Team A a new series (just like when they advance to/beyond their line-to-gain), but the play clock is set to 40 and started with the TO signal on the dead-ball from the previous play (with a pause), just like when Team A advances to/beyond their line-to-gain.  Except inside 2  minutes in a half, the game clock re-starts on the R's signal.

Did I mention that this is the same as if Team A had simply advanced to, or beyond, their line-to-gain?   ;)

Robert

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 07:04:01 PM »
Except inside 2  minutes in a half, the game clock re-starts on the R's signal.

Disagree here. Even inside 2 mutes, A-B-A is still on the RFP.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 07:26:40 AM »
Disagree here. Even inside 2 mutes, A-B-A is still on the RFP.

You are correct, of course.  I didn't explain that well, at all.  I was 'thinking' when the final A ball carrier goes OB, but I didn't express that, at all.  Sorry.  When that happens, prior to 1:59 in 2nd/4th period, play clock starts on the dead-ball, and the game clock re-starts on the RFP, even in the A-B-A scenario.  From 1:59 on, play clock starts on the dead-ball, and game clock starts on the snap.

Thank you for the virtual head thump.  I needed it.  :)

Robert

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 01:53:03 PM »
Play clock:  when the ball is snapped, reset the play clock. Don’t let it keep running down.

Offline Navcom

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • The Action is the Juice...............I'm in.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 02:02:30 PM »
thank you everyone

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 09:01:55 AM »
Play clock:  when the ball is snapped, reset the play clock. Don’t let it keep running down.

Unless they snap it with 1 or 0 seconds remaining. Don't reset it until you're sure the BJ isn't shutting it down for DOG. When there's a DOG we we want the play clock to read 0, not 40. It just looks better.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »
Nobody mentioned the most important of all game clock operator rules...

DO NOT LEAVE 1 SECOND ON THE CLOCK!!!! Let that thing hit 0 and have the officials tell you to put it back if they want it.