Author Topic: Whats the call?  (Read 13486 times)

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Whats the call?
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 03:51:50 PM »
Not to appear overly dense but does your statement refer to A fumbling the ball into and through B's endzone or to A possessing the ball in B's endzone and then "fumbling" it out. The quotation marks referring to the impossibility of fumbling a dead ball
The former.  I believe the latter would be a touchdown.

wvoref

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 03:55:44 PM »
The former.  I believe the latter would be a touchdown.

I agree. Therefore the part about fumbling a dead ball.

wvoref

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 04:05:08 PM »
Help me out here. While technically correct that it's not a COP without a player gaining possession, by definition.  Is there a situation that prevents this from being a distinction without a difference.  I'm trying to think of a play situation where this matters except maybe stat wise.  Maybe I'm just forgetting or missing something.

ECILLJ

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 09:08:46 AM »
These are the same officials that say a fumble by A out of B's end zone constitutes a play with a change in possession.  They need to learn their definitions!

AB- What am I missing here? A fumble by A (from the playing field) out of B's end zone is a TB. B will begin a new series at their own 20 yard line and we will start the clock on the snap. I'm having trouble understanding the point you are trying to make to us.

I do understand that if we have a foul during the fumble, then we have a loose ball play and it is not a change of possession play, maybe that is your point.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:16:21 AM by ECILLJ »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 09:43:43 AM »
Help me out here. While technically correct that it's not a COP without a player gaining possession, by definition.  Is there a situation that prevents this from being a distinction without a difference.  I'm trying to think of a play situation where this matters except maybe stat wise.  Maybe I'm just forgetting or missing something.

This was an issue with the OLD roughing the passer enforcement.  Enforced from end of the last run when there is no change of possession.  So If A fumbles on the B2 through the endzone, RPS is enforced from the B2, since technically there was not a "change of possession."

Under the new rule, this is moot, since we enforce from the dead ball spot.  The above play, since it resulted in a touchback, would go from the previous spot.