Author Topic: Another New Rule  (Read 8034 times)

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Re: Another New Rule
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 10:35:47 AM »
I had a related one this past week (also from a fan). Kicker muffs the snap, picks it up deep in his own end zone, runs around a bit... and then manages to get a kick off, whereupon he is tackled pretty hard. Easiest RTK call in history.

From a fan in the stands -- "That's not roughing! The ball hit the ground!"

2 similar situations.  1. QB is scrambling and takes off running. Receiver gets knocked down by a defender. Coach is screaming DPI. "Coach, we can't have PI when no pass was thrown." He didn't say anything else.

2. QB crosses LOS and gets nailed. Coach wants roughing. "Coach, can't have roughing the passer when no pass was thrown."
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »
2 similar situations.  1. QB is scrambling and takes off running. Receiver gets knocked down by a defender. Coach is screaming DPI. "Coach, we can't have PI when no pass was thrown." He didn't say anything else.

2. QB crosses LOS and gets nailed. Coach wants roughing. "Coach, can't have roughing the passer when no pass was thrown."
I heard this one time in response to that explanation- but it was a pass play! 34Zpost. We called it in the huddle!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
had one a few year back, Tailback took a pitch and then threw a pass after the pass was thrown defender nailed the Tailback,  I had flag for roughing the passer, the DC went nuts screaming and hollering he not the QB you can not call Roughing the QB,  I told him I did not call roughing the QB I called it roughing the passer. it was a great moment when the lightbulb clicked on in his head when he realized that the rule stated passer and not QB

do or do not there is no try

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2018, 09:27:06 AM »
had one a few year back, Tailback took a pitch and then threw a pass after the pass was thrown defender nailed the Tailback,  I had flag for roughing the passer, the DC went nuts screaming and hollering he not the QB you can not call Roughing the QB,  I told him I did not call roughing the QB I called it roughing the passer. it was a great moment when the lightbulb clicked on in his head when he realized that the rule stated passer and not QB
Lol that’s a good one

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2018, 01:36:57 PM »
To counter this critique of coaches- I worked a jv game Monday night with a wing from another crew. He was complaining about his white hat not knowing the rules: “we had DPI on a TD by A. My WH let them keep the score AND we marked the penalty off on the Kickoff. I argued with him all night about that. “ 🤪🤪🤪🤦‍♂️

A few years back, I ran a clock for a crew from another district in a playoff game. K recovered an onside kick and took off down the field where K fumbled the ball to R on about the 25.

After the game, they asked me what I thought about that onside kick. I was like, "I'm glad y'all asked...."

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2018, 01:44:26 PM »

Not that your play did, but it's possible to have illegal use of the hands on the defense here.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2018, 08:31:06 AM »
It seems that more than a couple coaches took the rule change to mean "anything that happens is legal as long as you're face guarding."

They must be getting their interpretations from the same place some of our coaches are getting theirs!

"Face guarding is legal now!"
"That's true, coach, but running through the receiver and knocking him down with your hand in his face isn't face guarding."
"That's a crap call!"