Author Topic: Kick catch interference?  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Brian26

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Kick catch interference?
« on: October 26, 2021, 05:05:31 PM »
Free kick from K’s 40, K pooch kicks high enough to almost get under it at the 50 but doesn’t. R55, at the 50, retreats a couple yards but comes back toward the ball just as it hits the ground at K’s 49 and K then recovers at R’s 49. Do you have kick catch interference or recovery by K at R 49?

Offline Brian26

Re: Kick catch interference?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 05:07:52 PM »
Should have noted there was no contact  until after the ball hit the ground and past the 50
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:55:43 PM by Brian26 »

Offline BigWill

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 06:42:39 PM »
Recovery by K ball was grounded ... Now if K was to catch the ball in the air at  Rs 49 that would would be KCI.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 06:47:29 PM by BigWill »

Offline Brian26

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 07:19:00 PM »
Recovery by K ball was grounded ... Now if K was to catch the ball in the air at  Rs 49 that would would be KCI.

Does the ball hit the ground nullify the “Obstruct R’s path to the ball” in 6.5.6b?

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 07:44:23 PM »
Does the ball hit the ground nullify the “Obstruct R’s path to the ball” in 6.5.6b?
Not if the ball was still in the air when the "obstruction" occured.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Brian26

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 07:59:14 PM »
Nvm, tried to post video clip of the play but couldn’t

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 07:26:22 AM »
Two things to remember on plays such as this....

(1) It is still KCI if an airborne free kick to touched by K even if no R player was in position to catch.

(2) A free kick that goes less than 10 yards is similar to a scrimmage kick. If K is first to touch the ball, it is first touching and a bean bag.

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 11:56:20 AM »
Not if the ball was still in the air when the "obstruction" occured.

Yes, it is a loose ball and can be recovered by either team.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

Offline Brian26

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 03:25:50 PM »
Wish i could post the video clip. I guess what Im asking, does R55 need to make the attempt to catch the ball and contact needs happen in order to get the obstruction for KCI? He clearly comes up looking up at the ball in the air, reaches out but at last second decides to back away as K players come diving in. The ball hits the ground and K recovers past the  R's free kick line.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 06:18:04 PM by Brian26 »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 04:19:29 PM »
Wish i could post the video clip. I guess what Im asking, does R55 need to make the attempt to catch the ball and contact needs happen in order to get the obstruction for KCI? He clearly comes up looking up at the ball in the air, reaches out but at last second decides to back away as K players come diving in. The ball hits the ground and R recovers past the 10 yard K's free kick line.

A careful reading of NFHS: 6-5-6 suggests, "While ANY kick IS IN FLIGHT in or beyond the NZ to the Receiver's goal line K SHALL NOT:

a. Touch the ball or R, unless blocked  into the ball or R, or to ward off a blocker; or

b. Obstruct R's path to the ball.

This prohibition applies even when no FC signal is given....."

Offline Brian26

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 06:23:38 PM »
A careful reading of NFHS: 6-5-6 suggests, "While ANY kick IS IN FLIGHT in or beyond the NZ to the Receiver's goal line K SHALL NOT:

a. Touch the ball or R, unless blocked  into the ball or R, or to ward off a blocker; or

b. Obstruct R's path to the ball.

This prohibition applies even when no FC signal is given....."

I understand the rule, at least I think I do, but one of our WH’s say you can’t have obstruction if  R doesn’t make attempt to catch the ball and no contact is made. My opinion on the play is R backs away from the catch cause he’s avoiding the contact.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 06:26:03 PM by Brian26 »

Offline Logical

• FAN REACTION: +5/-12
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 07:13:41 PM »
Contact is not a requirement.
I would like to see some attempt at catch; but no, I guess is not technically needed (i.e. could be blocked before had the opportunity to attempt a catch).

As described, this play is a matter of judgement and I believe either could be supported.
Had R stood his ground, the judgement likely would have gone in his favor (his retreat didn't help his case; could've been construed as deciding to play the bounce). Had he signaled FC and stood his ground then even a better chance to get the KCI.

If you threw a flag on this play and the WH waived off, I would not let that deter you from throwing a flag next time something similar occurs. Some WHs are likely on the same page as you.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 10:40:17 AM »
I understand the rule, at least I think I do, but one of our WH’s say you can’t have obstruction if  R doesn’t make attempt to catch the ball and no contact is made. My opinion on the play is R backs away from the catch cause he’s avoiding the contact.

I'd go with your WH's advice. (Funk & Wagnalls definition of "OBSTRUCT":  "To stop or impede movement through (a way or passage) by obstacles or impediments.