Author Topic: Field Goal Attempt by Free Kick  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Logical

• FAN REACTION: +5/-12
Re: Field Goal Attempt by Free Kick
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2021, 11:58:41 AM »
Having not done NFHS rules in over 20 years, I have a couple of questions.

1) If I saw it right, the kicker can use a regular kick-off tee.   Correct?
Correct

2) If he pops it up and a R player fair catches it at the 5 yd line, where does the next series start?
Presuming pooch, not grounded pop up, R 1/10 R5

3) If the kicker hits a line drive that bounces off of an up man and is recovered by a K 7 yards from the kick spot, is it 1 and 10 or 2 and 3?
K 1/10 @ dead ball spot

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2021, 07:13:26 AM »
Having not done NFHS rules in over 20 years, I have a couple of questions.

1) If I saw it right, the kicker can use a regular kick-off tee.   Correct?
2) If he pops it up and a R player fair catches it at the 5 yd line, where does the next series start?
3) If the kicker hits a line drive that bounces off of an up man and is recovered by a K 7 yards from the kick spot, is it 1 and 10 or 2 and 3?

A FKAFC is simply a free kick that can score 3 points.  All free kick rules are in effect.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2021, 08:33:30 AM »
The chains are merely set to provide a measurement for the 10 yard neutral  zone for the free kick. We've talked about the option to change from a snap to a free kick if a live ball penalty on B. The same ,in reverse, is true if a foul on K. Consider this :
 (1) R makes a fair catch at K's 30;
 (2) they choose to free kick;
 (3) K's big ole' Bubba punches a R player while ball sails thru pipes ^good;
 (4) tack-on doesn't apply as K would next put ball in play (via kickoff);
 (5) K's/A's ball at K's 45, out of field goal range;
 (6) A now chooses to snap, 1st & 10.

I had a coach once ask : "If I had a player that was dumb enough to make a fair catch at his one , would I be dumb to free kick it out in lieu of probably punting from deep in my end zone  ??? ?"

I responded : " That's a coaching call, and if you don't call my calls on the field dumb, I promise not to call any of your calls dumb, either ;D "

That could happen, and I don't think R & U should be under the opposite goal post  8].

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2021, 07:31:48 AM »
That could happen, and I don't think R & U should be under the opposite goal post  8].

I did just work a game in the middle of a hurricane though...

Offline JennyWilliamson

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2021, 08:16:24 AM »
The punt or free kick must be fair-caught at a close enough distance to allow for a field goal kick attempt. Also, Except for K, who can bat a grounded scrimmage kick back towards his own goal line, a grounded loose ball cannot be batted in any direction.

Offline Stevennall

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2021, 08:23:21 AM »
The punt or free kick must be fair-caught at a close enough distance to allow for a field goal kick attempt. Also, Except for K, who can bat a grounded scrimmage kick back towards his own goal line, a grounded loose ball cannot be batted in any direction.

Woah nice you got some amazing knowledge about..

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2021, 12:45:36 PM »
Methinks we've bots about the premises.

Offline fudilligas

• FAN REACTION: +12/-6
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2021, 06:59:44 PM »
had this happen once in my 48 years of officiating....15 seconds left in 1st half....4th and 15 from the A10
defense coach call time out and meets with his team on the field....asks me if the FK for a FG is still in the book...I say yes
he then instructs every player to call for fair catch....K kicks and the R gets the ball on the K35....3 seconds on the clock
we line them up for the FK and they MISS the FG
R now gets the ball on the 20 still with 3 seconds on the clock and run out the clock to end the half

this coach was one of the most respected coaches in the county....knew the rules and let the officials do their job....even heard him tell an assistant to leave the refs alone and let them do their job