Author Topic: Penalty Enforcement  (Read 1138 times)

Offline HeadAlphaGeek

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • I love my job, I love my job
Penalty Enforcement
« on: November 05, 2021, 10:14:08 AM »
Had this happen in a game.

A 2/12 B 23.  Post route to EZ.  B32 grabs A88 in EZ.  A88 completes catch for TD.  DPI was called.  A coach takes on KO.  A lines up for 2 point conversion.  A has 5 in backfield.  A scores 2 point.  We assess penalty to the 8.  What are A’s options?

Alternate scenario, A lines up for 2 point conversion.  A false starts.  We assess penalty to the 8.  What are A’s options?

I am trying to find rule reference if A can decide to take the DPI penalty enforcement, after the 5 yard penalty, on the try after making the decision to take it on the KO.  Does live ball vs dead ball make a difference?

Offline jmckb99

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Penalty Enforcement
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 11:58:56 AM »
In scenario 1, A loses it's rights to change their minds about the penalty enforcement and the try is replayed from the 8yl, because a play has happened.

In scenario 2, A still has the right to change the enforcement because a play hasn't run yet. (basing my logic off of the awarded fair catch rule and the right to choose enforcement after a dead ball foul or inadvertent whistle) rule 6.5.4

Offline PABJNR

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
  • When a whistle stops a play it is inadvertent
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 12:22:07 PM »
I believe 10-1-1 addresses this where it says the choice of options can not be revoked.  It’s my understanding the interpretation is that once the choice is made that’s their choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You don't have to call everything you see...but you have to see everything you call!

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 02:01:32 PM »
As far as I can tell, there's no case play that covers this specific scenario -- a couple covering if B fouls twice, but not one for each. However, I agree with PABJNR that once the decision is made, it's been made.

I do not agree that it's similar to the fair catch rule, as that relates to how the ball is put in play (snap or free kick), not with the acceptance or declination of a penalty. I would argue that the absolute point of no return is the ball being marked ready for play (although, it's probably much before that).

We've probably all had scenarios where a coach didn't process the results of the play and first reaction was to accept the holding foul on 3rd and forever, then realize it'd be 4th and forever if he declines it and change his mind. As long as the penalty hadn't been marked off and ball marked ready for play, I have no problems with him changing his mind. However, we wouldn't let him let the next play line up, call a timeout and then decide to change his mind.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 08:10:02 AM »
I’d go along with using the RFP as the dividing line.  That jives with several other enforcement situations.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 01:55:35 AM »
I believe 10-1-1 addresses this where it says the choice of options can not be revoked.  It’s my understanding the interpretation is that once the choice is made that’s their choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the exact rule.  Once you tell the R you want it on the kickoff, it's set in stone.